Mothers could be sued for injuring fetuses

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 09:12 pm
Here is an article that talks about legislation that will be introduced in Alberta, that will allow children injured in car accidents while still in the womb, to sue their mothers.

This is a landmark law that leaves itself open to all sorts of possibilities. For example, what if the mother was merely a passenger in the car and not driving?

Also, there are fears that this law might open the floodgates for mothers to be sued for anything they do while they are pregnant. Here's an example. What if both parents decide to have a child and there are concerns that there are genetic abnormalities in the family. Will the mother be sued for making such a decision? Will, or perhaps should, the father be sued also?

Could this legislation affect women's abortion rights in the future?

I can't see any good coming out of a law like this.

Read and decide for yourself:

Mothers could be sued for injuring fetuses
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 371 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 09:17 pm
I would like to sue somebody for letting a person like me get born.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 09:18 pm
I'd like to sue someone for letting a person like Edgar be born to the father he (didn't) have.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 09:21 pm
<Reyn reaches out and gives Edgar a big hug>

((((((Edgar))))))

There should be more people like you in the world.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 04:52 am
This is not connected with Edgar in any way.

The word "stupid" comes to mind readily. What is Ralph Klein putting in their coffee?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:48 am
I don't really get it.

Doesn't Canada have universal health care? Wouldn't the girl's medical care be paid for by tax money?

If the fetus sues it's mother would the auto insurance company be required to pay for the girl's ongoing health care?

What if the mother was driving but the accident wasn't her fault -- someone hit her and the fetus was injured?

If the woman miscarried as a result of the accident would it be manslaughter?

In America most fetal-rights issues are indeed an attempt to through roadblocks in the way of abortion.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 08:33 am
boomerang wrote:
Doesn't Canada have universal health care? Wouldn't the girl's medical care be paid for by tax money?

Probably not for future injuries for the fetuses, and then maybe to a point.

Quote:
If the fetus sues it's mother would the auto insurance company be required to pay for the girl's ongoing health care?

I think that's where the fight is. The gov't is offloading the responsibility. It wouls have to be proved that the injuries were caused by the accident.

Quote:
What if the mother was driving but the accident wasn't her fault -- someone hit her and the fetus was injured?

Exactly! Lots of possible things could happen.

This is just dumb legislation! Mad
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:17 am
Hmmm....

It does seem an odd place to start. I could understand drug use, or even smoking or alcohol use. Not necessarily agree, mind you, but at least understand where they were coming from. But auto accidents?

It sounds like a foot-in-the-door to providing fetuses with the same rights as live-born children. Which is a prelude to blocking abortions.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:19 am
Quote:
Lisa Rewega was pregnant and at the wheel on Dec. 31, 2000, when she lost control of her car and was pitched through the windshield. She gave birth four months later to Brooklyn, who was born blind with brain damage and cerebral palsy. She suffers up to 10 seizures a day.

A Supreme Court decision in 1999 ruled that children can't make claims against their mothers for events that hurt them in the womb. If anyone else but the mother had been driving, a claim could go ahead.

Hmmm.... again.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:24 am
DrewDad wrote:
It sounds like a foot-in-the-door to providing fetuses with the same rights as live-born children. Which is a prelude to blocking abortions.

And only in bloody Alberta, too! Ralph Klein....... Mad
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mothers could be sued for injuring fetuses
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:19:14