What can I add to acrylic paints to slow drying time?

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:08 pm
this is so interesting! I'm so gald everyone is responding so much, I really appreciate all the input and involvement. I should have been spending more time on the art forum all along. Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:34 pm
My favorite acrylic maker is Golden. That is all they do, and their on-going research and service to painters is wonderful.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:47 am
You can get retarders for acrylics though I've never used them (I prefer oils). Just look at the online art supplies companies for lists and prices.

I often use Griffin Alkyds for their quick drying properties (oils) they dry overnight. I use turps/linseed oil or liquin, that way I can glaze or whatever the next day - sometimes later the same day if they've been used thinly and the day is warm.

Yes you can get drying medium to mix with ordinary oils - which is ok if you use lots of medium, generally I don't.
0 Replies

OsoPaja

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:05 pm
Extend open time on your acrylics
Hi,

The best thing I've found for extending trying time is from Golden. They have a few types of additives for this but one I used is their retarder. You could check the website for all the details but try them.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 03:41 pm
What can I add to acrylics
Any art supply store would have acrylic retardants and extenders; if you don't see them right aay, just ask. Liquitex is a good brand. I haven't used Golden for such things, only for their paints.

I don't think acrylics need look flat. It depends on how you handle them. I've gotten some very subtle results with acrylics. I think it partly depends on whether you use tubes which contain thicker paint or medium viscosity paint in jars.

About the water-based oils - I've used them, but they take a long time to dry properly; they are, after all, oil.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:39 pm
for those of a DIY nature, acetone and glycerine will retard acrylics, when you smell acrylics there is a ketone smell to them so, I believe any ketone that the paint shops sell will work.
0 Replies

OsoPaja

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 02:42 am
acetone in acrylic?
That works? Do you need a very small amount of acetone to glycerine? Or visa-versa? I thought acetone would have a faster drying effect.

Mmmm...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:07 pm
yes small amounts. The acetone is to resolve the glycerine which is the retardant. Try tiny amounts till you figure out your needs. You can buy all the stuff in drug stores or paint stores
0 Replies

OsoPaja

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:58 pm
a little dab worked fine...
So, I tired the acetone, just a few drops to a quarter-sized dab of a glycerine I found on hand (made for cashiers to keep their fingers from drying) and made what was at first a glossy mess. I added it to a good amount of what I think is student grade acrylic, and it made it glossy at first, but it was wet for a while. I think next time I'll use an old wet tracing paper technique I used when I was in school. The wet paper and the acetone/glycerine should be a good combo to drive out the dry.

Thanks, Farmerman!

Osopaja
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:53:54