How to diagnos windows 2000......?

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 07:51 pm
I am continuing not to have perfectly running computer. Timberlandco has graciously helped me to work out some previous issues (trojan a long time ago and sygate-norton incompatibility issues). My HJT log looks ok. I now have norton firewall as well as antivirus.

But, something still seems to be hanging up. I wasn't able to start up the first time I turned on my computer this evening. It sort of hung up at the 'starting windows' screen. It didn't freeze, but after about 15 minutes there, I shut down and restarted.

I was wondering if there is a site or program which will run a test on windows like pcpitstop tests, but more specific to windows in particular. (I'll have to go look and see if pcpitstop has this, I don't think it does. I looked over parts of the monsterous microsoft/windows sites to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 955 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:01 pm
I think I'm just being paranoid.... evidence seems to say that I am. I ran a pcpitstop FullScan and came up with checkered flags across the board (before installing the norton firewall and reinstalling the antivirus I'd gotten a yellow flag on internet speed).

I checked disk health and it was "very good".

So, I'll just try to relax, it'll be hard to do as I haven't been relaxed about my computer in a couple weeks.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:10 pm
I think it's time you took a hollistic approach to your PC problems.

You've spent a lot of time working on eliminating spyware and protecting it from viruses but when was the last time it got to really kick back and relax? Have you taken it out for a night on the town lately? Have you told it how much it's been appreciated? And most importantly, when was the last time that thing got laid?

Computers have become very sophisticated nowadays. You have to care for their emotional needs as well as their programming needs. Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:20 pm
Ok, at the risk of making this thread into my own personal computer diary, I have one more thing to say. I can't download a security update from the windows update site. I've tried it a half a dozen times already.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:21 pm
Oh my gawd.... this thing hasn't been properly laid in a long long time. Hmmmm <looking at the computer with new eyes> do you know any computers who are single, fishin?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:26 pm
Is your firewall or spyware utility blocking ActiveX utilities?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:31 pm
littlek wrote:
Oh my gawd.... this thing hasn't been properly laid in a long long time. Hmmmm <looking at the computer with new eyes> do you know any computers who are single, fishin?

If your's is into that whole May/September thing I have a Pentium 133 down in the basement that's looking for love in all the wrong places.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:33 pm
I dunno. When I checked activeX on pcpitstop it said it was working, but not how well. I wasn't able to download from microsoft without turning off both my previous firewall and the antivirus, but I thought it was the actual bickering between sygate and norton that caused the problem. Will turn off one, then the other, then both if I need to.

Thanks for the mental slap upside the head fishin!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:33 pm
would mine be may or september?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:37 pm
littlek wrote:
would mine be may or september?

I think mine is older (it's hair has turned grey but that could just be premature greying!) which would make it the September side of the affair. Razz
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:38 pm
Fishin ain't too far wrong. My old HP Windows 98 jalopy just ambles along until I get obsessed with performance. Then it just acts weird...until I stop bugging it. Then all is hunky d. again
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:39 pm
Could that just be dust?
0 Replies