How to diagnos windows 2000......?

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 07:39 pm
I am continuing not to have perfectly running computer. Timberlandco has graciously helped me to work out some previous issues (trojan a long time ago and sygate-norton incompatibility issues). My HJT log looks ok. I now have norton firewall as well as antivirus.

But, something still seems to be hanging up. I wasn't able to start up the first time I turned on my computer this evening. It sort of hung up at the 'starting windows' screen. It didn't freeze, but after about 15 minutes there, I shut down and restarted.

I was wondering if there is a site or program which will run a test on windows like pcpitstop tests, but more specific to windows in particular. (I'll have to go look and see if pcpitstop has this, I don't think it does. I looked over parts of the monsterous microsoft/windows sites to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 642 • Replies: 3
No top replies

gbob

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:26 am
pc doc pro
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 07:11 pm
Hiya gbob, welcome to the site. Can you give me anymore info than "pc doc pro"?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:17 pm
PC Doc Pro is about $30, and is more or less the equal of any of the "One-Click-Fix-Kits"; nothing much to look at there. Most of 'em are reasonably safe, none are very effective. Spybot S&D's "System Internals" feature and CCleaner's "Issues" feature will more or less do whatever any of the paid "Fixer-uppers" can do, and they're free.

The free-for-personal-use version of SiSoftware's excellent SANDRA (System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is a versatile, thorough system-analysis tool, and will provide you with a tremendous amount of information about your machine, your system, and what's going on there.

Boot problems typically stem from a bad or missing service or driver, or an incorrect call for one. A boot log is the way to go to see what boots when, and whether it offers any problems.

See About.com: Boot Log

For more detail and tips, see:

Microsoft: How To Troubleshoot Startup Problems in Windows 2000

Microsoft: How To Diagnose System Problems with Event Viewer in Microsoft Windows 2000
0 Replies