Beware of Delivery Fraud

cjhsa

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:19 am
This happened to a guy at work.

He orders a new video iPod from Apple. It ships from Shanghai via FedEX. The box is delivered not to him but to a Best Buy store nearby, along with about 50 other packages. When he discovers the mistake, he calls the store only to find out that someone purporting to be him had already shown up to claim the misdelivered package.

In the end, Apple wound up shipping the guy another one (via a different carrier), then they as shipper had to file the claim against FedEx.

Nice, eh?

I don't know how you can protect yourself against something like this, but I thought I'd share it so you can all mull over it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,106 • Replies: 9
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:44 am
How did the criminal know that this particular package was being delivered to the customer? Doesn't the store ask for ID? What was in the package? Something suspicious is going on here!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:47 am
ditto
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:21 am
Exactly. There are at least two people involved. Likely the FedEx delivery agent and at least one person at Best Buy, or a third person who duped the Best Buy employee.

Best Buy claimed the person had a drivers license with the correct name on it. Still, IMO they should only have returned the package to FedEx.

There are several possible scenarios but the most likely, to me, is that there were three people all in on the theft. One FedEx, one Best Buy, and a third party who makes fake ID's.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:30 am
I wish people would put as much energy into legal activities as they put into illegal ones.

Not to derail your thread cj, but how are you doing? Have you moved yet?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:50 am
I'm doing OK. I've moved into a new place in Grand Rapids, MI, but my family is still in CA. I hope to see them over Thanksgiving. It's hard but I'm enjoying western Michigan a lot, and I get to use my two vacation places on the weekends.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:28 pm
That seems like an awful lot of work for a $300 Ipod. There must have been many more Best Buy scams to make the whole thing worthwhile.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:35 pm
cjhsa: I saw your man, The Nuge, at CNBC last night. There was some mention of the idea of him running for governor of Michigan in the future. Your moving there have any connection?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:50 pm
No connection whatsoever. If he runs I'll support him if he doesn't make any huge gaffs. He shoots from the hip and spends a lot of time backpedalling and explaining himself.

Still, Gov. Granholm is a disaster. State is in horrible shape. Grand Rapids is a great example. The place has been surrounded by orange cones and barrels for as long as I can remember. They never appear to be doing much work - why all the construction crap? Why not add lanes to the freeways instead of closing them to patch? Makes no sense. Two-lane freeways make no sense in an urban area either.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:52 pm
Also, according to the locals, they have never heard of smart traffic lights.

Talk about bassackwards. You'll be driving down some main road and a light will turn red in front of you for some business's driveway when no one is at work. Weird.
0 Replies