Pet Peeves

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 01:43 pm
Well, y'all jist hevvin' y'selfs a fine (that's fahn) field day, aint'ch'all? I love the Texas twang. Only thing that bothers me about Southwest English -- and it's a gen-u-wine peeve -- is that y'all will intentionally mispronounce the Spanish words. That mission outside Tuscon ain't the Saint Zavier; Xavier is pronounced Havier. And, no, that battle in the Texas war for independence wasn't fought at San Zhasinto. (Is that Chinese?) It was San Wasinto -- that's how Jacinto is said in Spanish. And it's a Spanish word. So there.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 10:34 am
Well MA, I wuz fixin' to mention that there fac about mizpronouncin' spanish works a'purpose.

I know a feller who swears by a local restaurant because they make the best tortillers.

Oh, as far as "fixin' to"?

That is similar to "going to" except it implies a lot less obligation to follow through.

as in...."I wuz fixin' to mow the lawn, but then the UT game come on"

This is how my husband pronounces "light bulb"....

Laht Bub

Whispered in one's ear, it is quite a turn on.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:35 pm
I'm still a-gittin' ovah the fact that Vienna Sausages are 'vie-eena sassages.' It's the vie-eena that gits me. I can tolerate the sassage part.
0 Replies

seibentage

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:47 pm
Yes, Texans have a funny accent and we all tend to slur words together. But yall gotta understand where the accents come from, the vocal pronunciation is a mixture of Tex-Mex and a Southern part of the vocals. Its funny to listen to a Texan next to some one from lets say Washington State. Its funny.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:04 am
seibentage wrote:
Yes, Texans have a funny accent and we all tend to slur words together. But yall gotta understand where the accents come from, the vocal pronunciation is a mixture of Tex-Mex and a Southern part of the vocals. Its funny to listen to a Texan next to some one from lets say Washington State. Its funny.

Honey, you're preaching to the choir.

We're just having fun, we're all friends here, come on, join in!

Oh, ok pet peeve I just thought of, because it just happened....

Someone asks you for help and you've got to look at and concentrate on or read what they've done so far. You can't because they won't freaking shut up!
Even if you say "hold on for a second, I've got to concentrate for a second, I can't do that and listen at the same time"
the response "Oh, OK, .....well, yakita yakita yakita yakita......."
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pet Peeves
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 06:56:23