How did you meet your spouse /partner?

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:47 pm
Well, I'll go first.

I met my 2nd wife, V., at a local dating service.

I'd been divorced for about 5 years from my 1st wife back in the '70s, and I was rather lonely. I wasn't good at meeting other women in various other ways, so I thought I'd try a dating service. Actually, I was a member of two services, but one turned out to be a bit of a dud.

Of course I was nervous when calling up the new prospective date for the first time, but would always assume the other person was, too, and broke the ice by explaining who I was and what I was all about, etc. That was appreciated.

We were married in about 7 months of our first date.

How about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,411 • Replies: 21
No top replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 01:13 pm
The take out section of Gregg's Restaurant.

She was trying to place an order, but her English wasn't very good so the waitress had no idea what she wanted. I walked in to pick up my order and ended up translating.

After that we talked in spanish for about 10 mins while she waited for her order and I asked for her number. Went out the next night and had a great time. Dated for about 2 years and moved in together. Got married about 5 years later.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:50 pm
Aw, c'mon you guys! Nobody else in a sharing type mood tonight?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:12 pm
I came to austin on a vacation to see an old school friend.
Her boyfriend at the time decided to join us at the beach that day and convinced his best friend to come along. ( my NOW mister )

All four of us hit the beach and had a blast.

I was only in town for 3 days .
The last day was spent discussing current financial situations and job securities.
Since nurses are always in high demand and data base managers have to be careful where they tread for a new job, I packed my things and moved here with in a month.

here we are a few years later , new parents, and happy as ever.
0 Replies

sagar11

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:24 pm
I met my husband at a friend's party. We were both shy but we struck up a conversation while everyone else was getting drunk. Our friends dared us to kiss (yup very juvenile-- but we were pretty young) and we did-- slightly uncomfortable since everyone was watching. Embarrassed
We discovered similar interests, decided we really liked each other, found out we were attending the same university and things went pretty fast. We moved in together near our university after five months or so. Got married about 2 years after that, and have been married for 2 and a half years now. No way to afford having kids yet. Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:48 pm
Well, there have been a few long-standing relationships, Reyn.

No 1 impressed me (when a student) with his bohemian flair (a painter) & dazzled me with poetry & endless obscure French "art house" films that I didn't understand at all. But of course I didn't let on! Laughing That lasted 6 years.

No 2 impressed me mightily by his union activities & political commitment. My hero! <sigh> I married him.

No 3 & I made exquisite (radio & other) propaganda together. What a team! Soul mates! That lasted 20 years.

Note: I do not recommend any of the above methods for choosing a life partner. Perhaps a matchmaker might have served me better? :wink: Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:15 am
Well, I had a fairly eventful relationship life before my husband, you don't have the time.

I met him the day I came home from work at the university to the gallery studio I shared with a woman friend. She's the one with the mba in art who needed to move - we had each had small studios apts in a place by Venice Beach. I just went with her while she looked, and sure enough fell for the old Eagle's lodge...

so, there we were in 3500 square feet with 7 broken windows, oh, it's a long story told elsewhere, mostly paid for by my ordinary income from my labwork, and then her part time income. She arrived with Charlie in tow, who I already sort of didn't like, and me, I was in between attachments, another long story.

So, at some point we figured out that to survive we would need to sublet.
We sublet about 150 sq. ft. to a jeweler, another story, nice man though.
We started a gallery in the big space. We had painting studios one night a week...
and eventually we decided to try harder to sublet.
Interviewed a few strange and wonderful artists, who we decided we didn't want in our space since we lived there in our tiny rooms... at least we weren't willing to do that with who showed up. One morning she told me she'd gotten a call from some theater people.
Sure, I said as I revved my Spyder on the way off to work..

So I was late, this day I came home, having had a margarita after work, and trod up the stairs to a group mid big gallery, my then business partner and four shiny faces from USC. I was pretty annoyed to see them there, I just wanted to relax, and certainly didn't want to interview four sincere people.

It ended up that they subleased, as it were, for a few nights a week in x space, and it helped us pay the lease. Was hell on wheels though, artists and theater people.

At the end of their first play's opening performance, if I remember the date right, there was a party and of course we were there since we lived there. The playwright guy asked me to dance.. and I am not sure if it was to the loud music from the bar across the street or from my own stereo... I do remember one of the tunes was the 'hustle'. And some horrible music about being behind the Green Door. I try to block that from memory. But since I didn't have that music among my albums, I think it was all from across the street...

He never really went home again.

Let me not recommend this.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:02 am
I saw him as he got on the bus one morning, on the way to work, and was immediately attracted to him. I tried to catch his eye and flirt with him but he ignored me so for the next week, I pointedly ignored him until one rainy morning he finally made his way to where I was sitting and introduced himself.

We began talking, he gave me his business card and explained that his car was in the shop, he was picking it up that evening and knew that this was his last chance, if he was going to make a move. My sense of allure was instantly redeemed.

I called him that following weekend, we went out, talked, laughed, walked in the park, discovered how much we had in common and altho I was terrified, I knew he was the one. We've been together ever since. Six months later he proposed and we were married exactly one year after the day we met.

He told me some time later that the reason he waited to introduce himself on the bus was because that whole week I had been wearing sunglasses and he couldn't see my eyes until that rainy morning, his last day on the bus. He was finally able to see my eyes.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:05 am
I met the current Mr Smorgs, when I sold him a boxing magazine in the local newsagents....then he would come in regularly and hover by the sellotape, the rest (as they say) is history...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
Aww.

The very first time I laid eyes on my husband, I thought I already knew him. I was coming home (to the housing co-op where I lived and he was about to move into) after a few hours of pick-up basketball on a hot summer day, and I was desperate for something to drink. He was sitting at the picnic table in the back, on my way in, and said "hi" and tried to introduce himself. I was under the impression I'd met him already (I still don't know why, exactly) and said "yeah hi" hurriedly while rushing to the kitchen.

He was "membershipping" -- being looked over by the current co-op residents to see if he was acceptable co-op material -- and kept showing up. I thought he was cute, to be sure, but the place was crawling with cuties and I was already trying to decide between two guys who were after me at the time. I wasn't looking for more complications, especially from someone who was about to move in to the co-op. I'd been there a couple of years at the time, and it was a strict rule of mine. No co-op romances.

He first made his move when I was washing dishes, part of my responsibilities at the co-op. He didn't have to help, but he did. I was wearing a Zora Neale Hurston t-shirt, and he asked me if I liked "Their Eyes Were Watching God." Did I?! He's the only person I'd met who'd not only read that but some of her folkloric work (I've read everything she wrote). We talked about that for a long time. I was getting interested. He was REALLY cute. Well, handsome. (Tall, square-jawed, bright blue eyes, had just came back from a trip to Greece where he had to do a lot of manual work so he was tanned and muscled...)

Anyway, we hung out some more, then a bit more, and one of the other suitors who had been the front-runner started getting really grumpy (in a poetic, artistic way -- he was beautiful but man I'm glad I didn't choose him), and then eventually after spending a whole lot of time together, we kissed. (Also while hanging out... never went on an official date.)

Then about a week after that, he moved in. Shocked That was weird, the whole running into each other in the kitchen thing. (The housing co-op had four floors, about 8-10 rooms per floor, and he was one floor down from me, so usually we ran into each other on the stairs or the kitchen -- we expected to see each other at meal times.) But we got through that, and it's been almost 14 years now. We got married 4 years after we met.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:28 am
My honey has been the most wonderful surprise life has given me so far.

I met him at a family birthday party. He is the friend of my favorite male cousin. We girls looked at him, and said "what a hunk". Blond, and the most incredible green eyes I have ever seen. Not too tall, and medium built. The least thing I liked about him was his lips because they seemed tense.

Later I learned he was Irish, and that turned me off. I thought he would be one of those drinking Irish men thats always in bars. My father never drank or stayed out, he was a homebody. I guess I wanted someone like that.

Well, we saw each other several times more with other friends, and family. We started knowing each other, and liking each other. It was several months before we went out alone together. A year later we were living together. We drink together but, very little. We pretty much like the same things, and he is a homebody! We go out at least four times a week after work, and enjoy each other very much.

I have been engaged to him for one year now, ring and all. But, I'm afraid to set a date because we are so happy together, and I'm afraid marriage might spoil it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:54 am
I met her in church, I met her in church
On a Sunday morning
She looked at me with eyes aglow
As the choir sang hallelujah
hallelujah
We fell in love on a Sunday morning
Then all at once I heard angels singing
Singing Hallejulah
Singing hallelujah, hallelujah
Saturday night turned into Sunday light
I found love on a back row seat
In a little church just down the street
Met her in church, had a wedding in church
Church, had the wedding in church
The lord willing and the creek don't rise
We're gonna be happy the rest of our lives
Hallejulah
Hallejulah
Hallejulah...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:57 am
A big thank you to....

CerealKiller
shewolf
sagar (welcome to A2K!)
ms olga
osso
eoe
smorgs
sozobe
Angelique

.....all for telling us their stories. All very interesting! We sure could use a few of our male members here to tell us theirs, eh?

C'mon now. Don't be shy. :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:58 am
Okay, thank you to Dys then...haha!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 08:58 am
Weird meeting. Solveig is Finnish and had met two professors in Paris who were looking for a governess for their children. They hired her and she followed them to America. She signed up at Harvard University for evening extension classes. The meeting occurred after a class when she went for a cup of coffe before taking the train back to Concord.

My pal Mike and a few of our friends were having a discussion when she walked in. I saw her and and that's nice automatically registered in my brain. I returned to the conversation and so didn't notice she'd taken a seat two places away from me on the long bench there. Nor did I notice that Tom the town drunk had entered and was bothering her. The first I knew of it was when a low throaty voice behind me asked for my attention. I looked around to see these bright blue eyes looking pleadingly at me. Already I was lost. Tom was leaning across the table. She asked if I could help her. I glared at Tom and said "Tom, get out!". Tom left and she thought I was wonderful. I was. A year later we were married.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:37 am
Hey, Bob! That's a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it. Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 10:42 am
Will come back later (no time right now), but RP and I met through the Village Voice personals. He was looking for a woman with long hair. Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:02 pm
jespah wrote:
Will come back later (no time right now), but RP and I met through the Village Voice personals. He was looking for a woman with long hair. Smile

Ah, personal ads, good! I was hoping someone would come along.

Looking forward to your story....
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:04 am
Gosh, guess I will jump into this. I was 20 and a 17 year old friend (I was a friend of the family) invited me to a party at his house. He wanted me to meet this girl that he thought had eyes for him but he had no interest in her. I was a bit dubious but went to the party anyway. When he introduced us, I was surprised at how attractive she was. We talked for a while at the party but she and her best friend had to leave early. I went home a bit later without really thinking anything would come of it, after all she was 16 and I was 20 and I had always been a bit on the shy side where it came to asking girls out.

Well, at 7am the next morning she called inviting me over to go swimming at her best friend's apt. complex. Needless to say, I went and spent the entire day there. Her parents were more than a bit apprehensive about the age difference and it took me 3 months to convince them to allow us to see each other anywhere but at her house, but they finally realized I was harmless. Three years later we were married and next June will celebrate our 24th anniversary.

I'm kinda glad I went to his little party after all. lol
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 07:22 am
Hey thanks for telling your story. It's a good one! It's funny how things work out sometimes.

My wife and I celebrated our 26th anniversary this year. Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How did you meet your spouse /partner?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 09:43:19