How bad are fake nails for you?

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:39 pm
I have heard that they aren't good to get and they can ruin your real nails... true or false???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,023 • Replies: 35
No top replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:47 pm
True, very true.

What happens is this- over time, if you don't clean them up, dust collects at edges that contains all kinds of germs. This can cause infections
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:48 pm
I admit I wore them for about three yearsÂ…yes, they ruin your real nails, and for me it took a long time for them to return to normal.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:48 pm
that and they're ugly. well, i had a brief flirt with them - tried them once, hated it. they kept being in my way - in biking, washing dishes, typing, just about anything. won't go there again.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:50 pm
They can. I have had them for....oh ever...I love them. I get pink and white acrylic so you never have to have them painted and they look like a french manicure all the time. My nails just won't grow and when they do are brittle and tear easily, which is why I cover them with arcylic.

I won't take them off unless I need a break (every once in a while I let my nails breath) because it hurts the nail bed to rip them off, which is essentially what most places do. You can have them chemically removed but it's expensive. The upkeep is expensive too, about $60 a month for maintenance at a cheaper place.

There is a danger with the chemicals some places use that was not developed to be used on nails. Not all places use it but the cheaper the place, the more chance is they are using bad stuff. Not always the case but most times. If you also notice every worker is wearing a mask, you might want to reconsider that salon.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:52 pm
This is actually exactly what mine look like.

http://www.zanynails.com/Nail%20Enhancements_files/picture8_french_enhancements.JPG

Except shorter.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:55 pm
WAY shorter. I have mine done at about half that length.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:09 pm
I have them right now, well 5 are still on and I can't help biting them off.... Never Again
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:16 pm
4 nails now
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:23 pm
Fake nails are ugly.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
Synonymph wrote:
Fake nails are ugly.

you haven't seen my real nails yet Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 02:21 pm
I think some are ugly but not if they are kept up and done right. Thick fake nails, yellow ones...ick.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
It's just really unattractive to have acrylic slabs (no matter how "realistic") welded to your nails. And not the healthiest concept.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:51 pm
N-o-t g-o-n-n-a d-o i-t ! ! !

I don't have the greatest nails in the world, but the idea of paying that much money to ruin my natural nails doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm with Syn. It's not healthy...all those chemicals...OOH!

I just keep mine trimmed nicely with about 1/8" of white showing and occasionally use clear polish.

Now...toenails...that's another subject!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:12 pm
I'm a wearer....French Manicure......lol

BUT...they do ruin your natural nail, cause you to have ridges, weak and brittle nails. Not to count, the person doing the nails needs to be completely qualified to do it, they can cause you to gather up nasty fungus's, and other deteriorating diseases.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:13 pm
Ohhhh TOENAILs...........LOL

I'm a wearer of them also!!! LMAO

Of course, nice pink...french manicure...lol

Love them!!!!!

They gotta match!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:19 pm
all even,
light red paint
small toe ring
>sigh<
i love my toe nails

fake finger nails?
ppbbtthhh... 25 cent hooker anyone?

> aaaaahahahahhaha<
( that was a JOKE.. i hope noone is offended. If you are, I will gladly give you back your 25 cents. Shocked )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 05:16 pm
I tried one, once, on my little nail on my left hand, as it tends to split and I thought it might hold it together until the split grew past the nailbed. Yack, it felt quite weird, and didn't work either.

I agree on their ugliness, little plasticky bits attached to your hands - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My mothers' hands were once in a movie, I think for Ginger Rogers, who bit her nails.. (this was long ago, my mother was a secretary at the studio). I on the other hand, heh, have workwoman's hands, from years of art and yardwork and house repairs and general devilmaycare behavior. Now they're getting a bit nobby on top of it. I don't care, I have enjoyed my hands..
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:01 pm
I guess I don't see it any differently than makeup or hair prouducts. I love the look of the perfect 10 and can't grow them myself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 08:40 pm
I used to think of it as "those who don't, have nails" - as in women with perfect nails (harder to maintain back before pressonnails hit the market) were cut off from much in the way of making things, constructing things, digging things, moving through space without worrying about their nails.

Whole groups were thought of as the nails and hair crowd, and I know those girls/women thought of some others as "dirtbag".

Prior to my interest in art at around age thirty and then interest in design, I spent a lot of my time keeping my hair as fetching as possible and nails wonderful and apartment immaculate and I just stopped. Not that I turned into an immediate slug, but I quit putting all that attention there and went toward simplicity. I understand the pleasures of both sides of the fine nails and being free from intense nail care.

I know one can do both, have great nails and garden, etc., know people who do. I just lost the fascination.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How bad are fake nails for you?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 01:29:43