Where are the MS Outlook pros? I have a (simple?) question

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:03 pm
I FINALLY configured outlook to work with my optimum online account, and I love it. Lots more features, easier to use, etc etc etc.

Now, like most people, I have more than one e-mail account (yahoo and google). Is it possible to have one user in outlook be able to retrieve e-mails from more than one e-mail provider? Or do I have to make new users for each one?

And if so, are yahoo and google considered "http" providers (as opposed to stmp or POP3, or something like that)?

Even a point in the right direction to look this up further would be appreciated, if no one here knows. Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 532 • Replies: 2
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:06 pm
You can add additional accounts to an Outlook profile.

I don't retrieve from Yahoo or Google, so I can't answer that one.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:06 pm
Re: Where are the MS Outlook pros? I have a (simple?) questi
JustanObserver wrote:
And if so, are yahoo and google considered "http" providers (as opposed to stmp or POP3, or something like that)?

They are primarily "web mail" providers and prefer it that way as it brings them web traffic that they can monitize through ads.

In the past most webmail providers also supported use of a client-side mail reader like Outlook (using various protocols) but after the dot com bust some started to drop their free support for this.

Now the consolidation phase of the net is here and newbies like Google see value in allowing pop3 connections in order to build their userbase. Gmail allows it while discouraging its use through just about the most difficult setup process for it that there is requiring that it be enabled on their site first and then using atypical configuration. You will need help from the manual: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12103&query=pop&topic=0&type=f

I believe Yahoo provides pop3 for paying customers only at this point.

Do note that the availability of these protocols has come and gone on the net. I stopped using Yahoo's mail when they dropped this feature and moved some accounts to Hotmail, which deallowed access with Outlook Express only but was still the only of the freemail titans to allow use of an email reader for free.

Now Hotmail is dropping support for this for new accounts and Gmail may do the same one day. I'm glad I own and operate the mail domains I really use and if you get hooked on pop mail you might want to consider whether or not you think it will still be around for you with your chosen providers.

That was an inordinately long answer to a simple question...
0 Replies