Most Influential Entertainers Past 100 Years

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 03:28 pm
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Beatles were singled out on Friday as the most influential entertainers of the past 100 years, beating out the likes of Elvis Presley, Charlie Chaplin and Mickey Mouse, according to a survey conducted by show business newspaper Variety.

Behind the Fab Four's first-place finish, were in alphabetical order: jazz pioneer Louis Armstrong, television comedienne Lucille Ball, movie legends Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando, Charlie Chaplin, James Dean and Marilyn Monroe, cartoon hero Mickey Mouse and singers Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra.

Variety said the Beatles were named "Icons of the Century" because they were the entertainment personalities who made the biggest impact on the industry and the world in the past 100 years.

The newspaper published a list of 100 entertainers from all branches of show business, including actors, directors, screenwriters, musicians, television presenters, animals, comedians and cartoon characters. Among other names on the list were Johnny Carson, Johnny Cash and Lassie.

The winners were chosen by Variety editors based on polling of entertainment industry professionals and Variety staff and by online voting by the public on variety.com.

Among the criteria for selection were a performer's commercial, creative, political and social impact and even whether their image was presented -- like James Dean's -- on a t-shirt.

The list was to be published in Variety's Sunday issue to celebrate the paper's 100th anniversary. "It seemed only natural to celebrate 100 of the people who gave us something to talk about," said Steven Gaydos, the paper's executive editor.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 749 • Replies: 7
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:44 am
hm, did Bob Dylan even make the list? or was he excluded on the grounds that he's not merely an "entertainer?"
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:40 am
Tom Waits
Woody Guthrie (No Guthrie, No Dylan)
The Ramones
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:31 am
The Variety survey was open to the world, and I suppose that is why the Beatles came out on top.

It was also an "entertainers" list, which indicates that it was looking for people who had a broad appeal, or more middle of the road, if you like.

The likes of Bob Dylan would not stand much of a chance in this survey, as he was only recognised as an "icon" by those who were part of his "scene", whereas the Beatles appealed to kids, teenagers, parents and grandparents alike.

Amigo, you mention Tom Waits, Woody Guthrie and The Ramones.....I would bet you that, if you asked 99% of the population outside America to name one of their songs, you would get a blank look. That percentage might be down to 90% when talking about the Ramones....possibly.

If it was a "World" survey for "entertainers", I am very much surprised that Abba were not mentioned.........or Queen, who have just surpassed the Beatles with total albums sold.

Abba, at one stage in the 70's, were selling over a million singles worldwide, PER DAY!. They were one of the main pioneers of the whole rock "Glam" culture of the 70's, had their songs translated into many different languages, and sold bucketloads of singles in virtually every country in the world. Weird that they weren't mentioned, as you can't get any more "middle of the road/entertainers" than Abba.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 04:21 am
Tony Hancock
Irene Handle
Joyce Grenfell
Margaret Rutherford
Peter Sellers/Goons
Alec Guiness
Spike Milligan
Monty Pythons
0 Replies

livingthedream

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 03:18 pm
No Madonna??
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 03:29 pm
Yeah, Freddy Mercury was more talented than the Beatles could ever hope to be.

sigh - I could never figure out what was supposed to be the big thing about the beatles.

I mean, they are all right, but #1?

They've never taken my breath away, as have Sting, or for my money, Kevin Spacey.

I suppose when they say entertainers, they must mean someone you can just stare at and be entertained BY, as opposed to becoming a partner in the proformance.

I was heard Spacey on an interview, he said he wants the audience to work as hard as he does when they see his work.

Now that's entertainment.
0 Replies

imnidiot

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:21 pm
Bob Geldof Live Aid Live 8. Influenced the world to take notice of human suffering. This led to the world pressuring the G8 summit to increase funding and awareness of hunger and disease in third world countries One person can make a difference!
0 Replies