"Spook: Science takes on the afterlife."

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:42 am
I loved Mary Roach's last book "Stiff" about what happens when you donate your body to science so when I heard she had a new book out examining life after death I rushed out to buy it.

I just started it last night and it does not dissappoint.

From the Introduction:

Quote:
Flawed as it is, science remains the most solid god I've got. And so I decided to turn to it, to see what it has to say on the topic of life after death. Because I know what religion says, and it perplexes me. It doesn't deliver a single, coherent, scientifically sensible or provable scenario. Religion says that your soul goes to heaven or possibly to a seven-tiered garden or that your soul is reincarnated into a new body, or that you lie around in your coffin clothes until the Second Coming. And, of course, only one of these can be true. Which means that for millions of people, religion will turn out to have been a bum steer as regards the hereafter. Science seemed the better bet.

Any spelling errors are due to my bad typing -- I typed it in hoping to hook you into reading reading it along with me so that I'd have someone to discuss it with.

Anybody?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 599 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:16 pm
What?

C'mon.

Really?

Is nobody interested in what happens after you die?

And all this time I thought people were having coniption fits about it.

Live and learn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:24 pm
I've stated my personal opinion on several threads. So have many other members. I would be interested to read the book, however.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:31 pm
I have a personal opinion too, edgar, but that is not what this book or this thread is about.

There is apparently a lot of scientific research going on about "afterlife" -- that is what the book is about: the research.

If you do read it, I'd love to have someone to talk to about it. You'd be great to talk to about it -- I would love to have people from all levels of religious belief and persuasion discuss it together.

But even if you don't read it, you know I love you anyway.
0 Replies