A big protest!

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 08:09 pm
jespah wrote:
Florence Nightingale was a mathematician? Was that between nursing gigs during the Crimean War?

"For her contribution to Army statistics and comparative hospital statistics in 1860 Florence Nightingale became the first woman to be elected a fellow of the Statistical Society."
http://www.florence-nightingale.co.uk/biography.htm
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 04:18 am
Piffka: a good book for non-maths about a math: The Man who loved only Numbers by Paul Hoffman

subtitled The story of Paul Erdos and the search for mathematical truth.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 04:27 am
CodeBorg wrote:
Everything we do comes down to math, the universal language common to all science, music, culture, industry and understanding. Who would you vote for as the Greatest Mathematician of All Time?

You forgot Aryabhatta.

Aryabhatta was born in 476 A.D. at Ashmaka in what today is the Indian state of Kerala. He was sent to the University of Nalanda as a boy to study astronomy. His Heliocentric theory of gravitation preceded Copernicus by a thousand years. In the 5th century, Aryabhatta becanme the first person to put forth the theory that Earth is a sphere.

Aryabhatta's main work is known as the Aryabhattiya. It was so significant that it was translated into Latin in the 13th century. That's how European mathematicians learned Aryabhatta's method of calculating the areas of triangles, volumes of spheres, and square and cube roots.

Aryabhatta also wrote about eclipses and the Sun being the source of moonlight a millennium before Copernicus and Galileo.

In mathematics, Aryabhatta's contribution was equally valuable. He gave the value of pi as 3.1416 claiming, for the first time, that it was an approximation. He was the first mathematician to give what later came on to be called the 'table of the sines'.

The Indian mathmatecians invented zero as well, though it is debated by some. A brief history can be found
Here
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 05:06 am
TGR- So you are getting your Math Forum. Are you happy now? So then please stop nagging about it. You remind me of my son when he was about four! Mad
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 05:38 am
slap him
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 06:06 am
Ummm....sorry Crying or Very sad I was only trying to stimulate the creation of a math forum... Sad
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 07:54 am
Thanks for the explanation, CodeBorg. :-D
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 10:11 am
There are only three types of people in the world:
--Those that are good at math,
--and those that aren't.
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:14 am
Correct Equus!! And I am one of the first ones!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 11:15 am
I knew I could count on you, horsie.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:17 pm
Now, I forget... why is it that I need to know how to determine the volume in a sphere???

Jk, jk... I'm sure somewhere, someone needs to know this every single day.
---------

BTW -- Congratulations TechnoRob! You got your forum... Is Science going to be separated as well?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 01:28 pm
Yes, Techno? Please tell us what other Techno edicts we have to look forward to? What will you do next?

Twisted Evil

Hey, shouldn't we have a 'log in' thread, to go along with our 'log out' thread? Is this acceptable to Techno logic? Waiting submissively for instructions and indoctrination...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:02 pm
What about a tedium forum?

That'd be where the maths could go! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:19 pm
I'm with the cat from Sydney.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:27 pm
Start up a tedium forum - include maths, (and politics?) -and TGR and his mates could go and play by, and/or with, themselves. Twisted Evil

Hey - I feel better already. Smile Thursday morning - only one more day and it's....Friday!

Only one week to go and it's....my birthday Very Happy

Only one week and a bit, and it's....Easter! 4 and a half days off! Laughing

Only one more week after that, and it's Anzac Day, and another long weekend! Razz

Only one more month after that, and I'm on holidays!! Watch out the Europeans! Very Happy Laughing Razz Cool

Only one more month after that, and I'm back at work! Crying or Very sad Sad
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 08:33 pm
Umm, guys, stop bugging me, and sofia get that grin off your face, because soon we will be seeing

A NEW MATH SECTION!!!!

P.S.: Don't you dare, Sofia, talk like that to an 12-year-old freshman in college!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:29 pm
Why not? After all, I'm an 11 year old sophomore in college...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:55 pm
So does that mean there will also be a supplemental "beat up the math-major kids" section too?

Kewl.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 04:32 pm
hey, kid, do ya really want a math (or, as you unamerican folks are so fond of saying, "maths") from a site where all percentages are rounded down? do ya want that, buddy? (or have an invisible 1% of respondents indicated a preference for an invisible third choice?)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:54 pm
quite a large degree of uncertainty. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A big protest!
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:27:01