The Book You Haven't Read!

Shedo

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:07 pm
We usually ask each other what books have we read and liked. But now I want to ask a different question:

What is the book that you wish to read, but that is not yet written or that you haven't yet found?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,074 • Replies: 20
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 07:13 pm
the whole bible, i mean what's available is a very enjoyable read, but i keep thinking there's more, like the middle bit from the new testament, 13 to 30, come on give us the rest of the story
0 Replies

boingboingboing

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 10:57 am
i'd like to read all the stuff the church took out of the bible over the centuries!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:02 pm
boingboingboing wrote:
i'd like to read all the stuff the church took out of the bible over the centuries!

absolutly! that would be a great read.

I have read the bible 3 times and i read it just as literature.. not a life outline.
As djjd said - it is a cool STORY.. but nothing else Confused

A book i would like to read but have not War and Peace

mostly because it is a HUGE book..
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 05:18 pm
Mine. :wink:
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:02 pm
The Arabian Nights: I have started it, but couldn't get past the archaic english.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:49 pm
The Satanic Verses in one book that i wanna read but i couldnt get
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:31 pm
crucifixation wrote:
The Satanic Verses in one book that i wanna read but i couldnt get

hmmm, don't know why, it's not like it's rare or anything.

unless...do you live in Iraq?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:40 pm
I have yet to read "The Morals of Marcus Ordeyne" which has been sitting quietly awaiting me for many years. Every once in a while I will take it down and read the first line For reasons which will be given later, I sit down here, in Verona, to write the history of my extravagant adventure.

Then, for some inexplicable reason, I stop. I want to know of the adventure, I really do, but so far that sentence hasn't compelled me to read further. But..... one day.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 12:06 pm
I had wanted to read all of the "Lord of the Rings" books. I began with "The Hobbit". The description of the characters made them seem like furry animals who could talk. This made me feel like I was reading "Winnie the Pooh", so I gave up completely.
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 01:37 pm
Max Havelaar, 'the book that killed colonialism in Indonesia directly, and colonialism worldwide indirectly' (although this "fact" is arguable), thanks for this topic, I'm placing the order right now ... well, not right now, right now ... but I will ... soon!
0 Replies

Knut

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 06:17 am
'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:07 pm
I would like to read the book that gives the definitive
answer to one of life's enduring questions.
What happens next?
We already know that this part, this particular part
of our experience is quite temporary. Unfortunately
that is the width, the breadth and the height of
all we know. Thank goodness for what we DO know.
At least this knowledge impels us to act in a manner
befitting the brevity of our experience here as we
know it. No more "wasting time". No more putting
off those things we deeply want to do - but are waiting
for "someday". A someday that will probably never
come unless we approach it now, right now, and make
it happen. Life IS short.
0 Replies

NobodySpecial

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:53 am
The bible in it's original text. I mean the one that first came out, before it got changed. Dat's pretty hard to come by now??!!

As for modern stuff, a good fiction book out called 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini. Yeah, I wanna get round to read that soon.
0 Replies

californiadreamin

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 12:54 pm
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of curious as to what "church" you are referring to. Of all the accounts that I have read, it's been "churches and religions" that have added to the bible.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:20 pm
Californiadreamin--

Welcome to A2k.
0 Replies

atypical10

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:35 am
Upside-Down Brilliance: The Visual Spatial Learner
by Linda Kreger Silverman
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:29 am
babsatamelia wrote:
I would like to read the book that gives the definitive
answer to one of life's enduring questions.
What happens next?
color]

Read the Upanishads. Their sole purpose is to answer questions like this. In the Katha Upanishad the whole of the Upanishad is devoted to the question of what happens after we die.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
Joyce's Finnigan's Wake.

Hey, my wife and I are READERS. Between the two of us I would guess that we average 6 books a week and have done for the forty years we've been married. Thats over 12 thousand books, not counting those we each read in the 25 years before we got together. The wife brought an unread copy of Finnigan's Wake to the marriage. It still sits unfinished on our library shelf. The library currently contains probably 5,000 vol., and very few haven't been read at least once ... except Finnigan's Wake. Over the years we've both read "at it". I think I've read less than 100 of the 600+ pages in our edition. I don't believe we've ever met anyone who has actually read the whole book, much less understood it. This is a tough book to read!

Giles Goat Boy kept us constantly at our reference books, but I don't think we have enough reference sources to do Finnigan justice. It is a challenge to adopt the thinking of some authors using the stream of consciousness style as in Rememberance of Things Past, and Kerouac. Joyce's mind as expressed in this book is almost unfathomable to me. I've read longer scholarly works written by learned, but untalented writers, running twice as long in a month ... and been informed, but bored stiff. With Finnigan, I'm never bored, but am absolutely at a loss to truly understand Joyce's point of view.

A reader made a deal with the devil shortly after Finnigan's Wake was published. The deal was that the reader would live to finish Finnigan's Wake, but must read it every day. That reader still lives, confined to an insane assylum where its reported that he has just completed the first third of the book. No one has a clue if he has understood a bit of it. Oh well, at least we hope to someday get this book "under our belt".
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:56 am
I'm sure the secret to conquering Finnigan's Wake is NOT to read it, but to get someone with a good, strong, rich brogue to read it out loud, while you just relax in your favourite chair, close your eyes and enjoy!
0 Replies