All time favourite ASIAN SINGER/GROUP

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 08:08 pm
Place ur favourite asian singers here and we will discuss them in terms of personality, style, and looks Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,901 • Replies: 21
No top replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:48 pm
Mine are all Indian - I'm Chinese but I'm a fan of Indian Bollywood movies and its stars.

Techinically speaking India is part of Asia so I'll say that my favourite stars/singers are Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol.

If you mean chinese singers - I used to like Leon Lai and in the contexts of actors, they are all cantonese...but I don't enjoy South east Asain movies so much anymore.

I watched Meteor Garden (Taiwanese) and I didn't enjoy it, although all my friends cried over it - apparently it was very very sad to them. I just thought it was bad acting in a bad story line.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:39 pm
I don't know many asian musicians/bands, but I saw a few asian bands go through the music scene in Athens, Georgia a few years ago. I have CDs from Melt Banana (Japanese punk rock) and Ladybug (Chinese rock). I should listen to those CDs, it's been a while.

I found references! Ladybug is an all-female punk band from Taiwan:
Quote:
Lady Bug is a Taiwanese punk band with four female musicians who usually sing in English. Their first effort was really badly produced and recorded. The most understandable English word they use is ****. They use it often. This is a great album to listen to if you have the notion that Chinese women are mellow and submissive. I like their CD despite the poor qualtiy of the production. They may have a new release in 1999. You can read more about them and buy their cd by clicking on the CD Now icon at the Lady Bug page of Shock records.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000061ZO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and Melt Banana:
Quote:
The latest addition to the hardcore invasion from Japan (spearheaded by Shonen Knife and the Boredoms), Melt-Banana are conquering America, or maybe certain clubs in America. As lead-singer YaSuKo O informed the audience at a recent Mr. Bungle show, "We're playing in Oakland. But we don't know where. You can buy our T-Shirts and albums. But we don't know where. It's a secret. Shhhhhh." Melt-Banana have a precise hardcore punk sound (laced with Japanese eccentricities) coupled with YaSuKo O's frantically chirping and yelping vocals. The result sounds as if early Husker DŸ were being fronted by a ferocious Chihuahua.

http://www.sonic.net/~goblin/melt.jpg
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:28 am
pragmatic wrote:
Mine are all Indian - I'm Chinese but I'm a fan of Indian Bollywood movies and its stars.

Techinically speaking India is part of Asia so I'll say that my favourite stars/singers are Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol.

If you mean chinese singers - I used to like Leon Lai and in the contexts of actors, they are all cantonese...but I don't enjoy South east Asain movies so much anymore.

I watched Meteor Garden (Taiwanese) and I didn't enjoy it, although all my friends cried over it - apparently it was very very sad to them. I just thought it was bad acting in a bad story line.

Hey, Im pondering over why the famous Indian actresses and artists are so white, do the majority of them have caucasian blood in them as well? They just dont look like the typical Indians I see on the streets of Sydney
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 07:11 am
My parents used to have this, and I loved it.

http://rateyourmusic.com/album_images/218529.jpg
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:07 pm
Jamesw84 wrote:
Hey, Im pondering over why the famous Indian actresses and artists are so white, do the majority of them have caucasian blood in them as well? They just dont look like the typical Indians I see on the streets of Sydney

I know what you mean. I'm suspecting either they use too much makeup - which I don't believe or that, from a science/geographic point of view India was never part of Asia originally so that Indian and Caucasion's have really really similar features. Have you noticed that Indians don't look like their Asian neighbours? They have such highly defined features where Chinese people's features aren't usually so sharp I guess.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:53 am
pragmatic wrote:
Jamesw84 wrote:

I know what you mean. I'm suspecting either they use too much makeup - which I don't believe or that, from a science/geographic point of view India was never part of Asia originally so that Indian and Caucasion's have really really similar features. Have you noticed that Indians don't look like their Asian neighbours? They have such highly defined features where Chinese people's features aren't usually so sharp I guess.

Their whiteness surprise me everytime I see them, its like they are from a white breed compared to the Indians I see on the streets of Sydney
0 Replies

crashlanded vr2

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:06 pm
Geologically speaking, the Indian subcontinent rammed into mainland Asia leading to the Himalayas. There is a large variation in facial features and skin color across the country. Towards the northwest, resemblance to people in Iran and the southernmost former southern Soviet countries is not uncommon. Towards the northeast, resemblance to people from China, Burma or Indonesia is apparent. These similarities with Asian neighbors from Iran, China, etc is perhaps not surprising. If one looks at people from certain tribes in India, one might be tempted to think they might be from some country in Africa, perhaps Madagascar. I have seen enough people from India to know fair skin is not restricted to any one region of the country.

I would recommend finding an online map of Gondwana, locating the Indian subcontinent and neighboring regions on it, identifying which current day countries correspond to these regions and comparing facial features of people inhabiting them.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:48 am
Ive really started to enjoy Korean music for the past few days! The likes of Lee Soo Young, and Finkl are great to listen to. Their voices and the korean language combined is really music to the ears.

The korean language when spoken sounds barbaric and lacking flow, but when sang it has great rhyme.

I recommend korean pop to everyone of Asian music lovers
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 06:05 am
Jamesw84 wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Jamesw84 wrote:

Their whiteness surprise me everytime I see them, its like they are from a white breed compared to the Indians I see on the streets of Sydney

Welcome Jamesw84 Smile

As for the complexion of Indian artists, you first need to know that India is a diverse country with 800 languages, scores of religions, and races.

Besides, India is a geographical diverse country and people in Mid- norht are relatively dark as compared to extreme North and West.

And Indians are very beauty concious, to tell you.

And you should not frame any prejudices on Indian physiognomies merely by having observed a few NRIs.

I am very fair myself and I am a pure Indian with no other blood. Cool

don't bother yourself with this complexion thing it really isn't worth it. This thread already looks derailed. LOL

My favourite asian artists include Rehman, Lucky Ali and a horde of others.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 02:15 am
Hey, no offence intended. I am sorry if I offended anybody here.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 05:28 am
You haven't offended anyone, atleast not me!
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:07 am
Hello, sorry - I just wanted to post a pic of the beautiful Rani M - and spidergal in response to your question am I a fan - yes I am but not in the way you meant - I'm a girl too!! Laughing

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c3/RaniMukherjee.jpg/180px-RaniMukherjee.jpg

and Kajol - she's so beautiful, so classic looking:

http://www.mahal.org/kajol/i/kajol_title.jpg

Nuff said.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:09 am
And here's the wonderful Shah rukh khan - I can never believe he is 40 now:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0f/Actgal2959.jpg/180px-Actgal2959.jpg
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:22 am
Pragmatic, sorrry
this is second time i've guessed genders wrong, sometimes the avatars and the usernames are so dubious u know....

Rani is beautiful

Shahrukh turns 39 today thats almost 40!

How are you doing? You said you are a girl?
Young shall I suppose?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:27 am
That's ok - I have had at least 1/2 of A2K think I was a guy. I didn't expect anyone to think "pragmatic" was a girl and certainly not one with a fever for her country! Laughing

Young yes. 20. You can see why I enjoy Bollywood movies so very much - they are modern but classical at the same time, plus I love your countries culture! I find it fascinating. I guess its because its so like China - a old but strong country with a big history and a even bigger population and varied cultures within the one big culture. If I wasn't Chinese, I do believe I would choose to be Indian.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:30 am
Ohh...Such love for my India....
Noble thoughts
I am bedazzled more than I am impressed.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:31 am
You're also a very nice person and as I see it - a patriot. I have seen some of your topics around A2K - its easy to see you respect and love India very much and I can understand that - I have the same feelings for China.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:47 am
Awww….Thanks prag, you are really sweet.
I have always regarded China with reverence for the diligence of her people.
50 years ago, China and India set out on the same platform and the level of accomplishments that China has reached is awesome.
0 Replies

Jinugy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:36 am
My Favourite Asian Singers
1) Jaclyn Victor, the first Malaysian Idol. If you love a soulful (and powerful) black singer's voice, then you'll DEFINITELY love Jac. Gotta get her album 'Gemilang', she sings both Malay and English songs. Listen to Gemilang, Love, Padamu Permataku, Tunggu Sekejap, & When I Fall in Love to get a taste of her powerful vocals.

2) Rain. Korean artiste. His songs are mainly pop and cRunk&B. So if you love those genres... My fave songs sung by him: To You, Chajayo, It's Raining, & I Do.

3) Siti Nurhaliza. Malaysian. Yup, you guessed it, I'm Malaysian, LOL =). Her ballads are just unbeatable! Slow ballads that you simply MUST listen to: Percayalah, Seindah Biasa, Bukan Cinta Biasa, & Dialah Di Hati.

4) Utada Hikaru. Japanese. She just released an all-English album titled Exodus, which downright sucks. But I love her Jap ballads First Love & Eternally.

5) Crystal Kay. Also Jap. THIS girl can sing R&B, though she does it in English. Good songs that I've heard: I'm Not Alone & Make Me Whole.

6) Too Phat. Malaysian. Love the way they mix traditional beats with hip-hop! Must listen: Ala Canggung (Do You Wanna Have a Party?), Anak Ayam, & You Are my Sunshine.

7) Ferhad. Singaporean artiste. Very good and unique vocals. Songs like Indonesian singer Glenn Fredley, though I think Ferhad's songs are way better. Fave songs: Sunshine and Rain, Pernah, & Higher, Deeper.

8) Misha Omar. Malaysian (Again! Nyaha!). Slow ballads (yeah, I like ballads, as you might've figured out by now) that I recommend listening to: Pulanglah, Bunga-Bunga Cinta, & Dedebu Cinta.

9) V.E. Malaysian soul band. You MUST listen to thier song, Ayu!

10) Nora. Malaysian. Noteworthy songs: Menyemai Cinta Bersamamu & Persimpangan Dilema.

11) Marcell. Indonesian (Finally!). Fave songs: Cinta Datang & Jangan Pernah Berubah.

12) Ning Baizura. Malaysian. Songs: Awan Yang Terpilu & Kembali.

13) Peterpan. Indonesian rock band. Songs: Bintang di Surga, Ada Apa Denganmu, & Mungkin Nanti.

14) And if you love dance & cRunk&B, you gotta listen to Tata Young's (she's Thai) Cinderella, Zahid (AF2)'s (Malaysian) WO!, & Adam (AF2)'s Tak Tahu.

Actually, I've got a whole lot more, but I guess they can't ALL fit here, LOL...
0 Replies