Books/films with character writing letters.

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:01 am
Hi

Od request.
Can you think of any book/film where its main theme is letter writing.Or a letter plays a big part in the fim.

Like in books from Pride and Prejudice or in the Victorian era, wasnt a main form of communication through letter writing?Didnt Mr Darcy write a letter to someone?

Anything like that would be great, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 793 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ghostofgauss

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 08:24 am
"The Screwtape Letters" is just a collection of fictional letters from one demon to another on the art of tempation. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. Why do you ask?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:13 pm
There is a whole school of fiction writing called: The Epistolary Novel.

The first example in English literature is Samuel Richardson's Pamela about a virtuous young woman importuned by a lusty young aristocrat who eventually wore the 18th century equilivant of white to the altar.

This was followed by a parody, Shamela in which a virtuous young footman is importuned by a cold hearted aristocratic lady....

Recently I read a very interesting novel conducted in e-mail. As I remember the characters never meet face to face.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
Dangerous Liasons (sp?) - movie and book

Emma by Austin has a number of letter writing scenes, as does North Abbinger Abbey.

There's a book called "Letters of A Woman Homesteader" which is one woman's account of her years in the 1860's homesteading in the west. The whole story is told in her true correspondence with a friend.

I think Virginia Wolfe also has a letter driven book - can't remember a title.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 01:01 pm
The musical "She Loves Me" is about 2 clerks that correspond and fall in love but don't realize they know and dislike each other. I don't know if it was based on another work or not.

"You've Got Mail" had a similar plot using email I believe. (Never saw it.)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:37 am
Thanks guys.

I ask because im doing a hobby/craft which is based on corresponding/communicating etc, Im hoping to sell one day and im just trying to think of a perfect brandname.
It gives me something to do while im at work.
Letter writing seems to be a dieing art so the only inspiration i can find is from history, I also love history and i try to give my product an old look so Id like the name to be quite poetic or raise images of days gone by.

Dangerous Liaisons did come to mind as I remember The Vicomte de Valmonte brought the downfall of Glen Closes character by leaking their letters to the public, the ultimate revenge, Mwohahahaha.

So I thought 'Valmonts Letter' may be a good name, the only one Ive come up with so far.
There is much room for improovement.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 04:48 am
How spooky is that!I type in Epistolary Novel and a thread comes up using The Color Purple by Alice Walker as an example.
The Color Purple is my favourite film!!I also really love th colour purple.
Its an omen!!!
0 Replies