A Good Man is Hard to Find

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:51 pm
next story: A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor. I have read this and this is the story i most understand out of all the stories i have read so far this year. However, my teacher introduced a new term today: theme. We were instructed to write a response paper stating the theme of the story and giving facts to prove it. I am a little rough on themes so a little help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,819 • Replies: 8
No top replies

frustratedstudent

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:45 am
go to pinkmonkey.com or everything2.com both great sites that give the themes, tones, connotations, everything! those sites are getting me through college eng.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:50 am
I've been told many times by many women that a hard man is good to find...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:12 am
Said the good little girl to the bad little girl, "Gee, but it's hard to be good."

Said the bad little girl to the good little gire, "It's gotta b. . .

Are these school kids. Oh, well, it didn't rhyme anyway.
0 Replies

therisingaction

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:48 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

LOL....that's too funny.
0 Replies

bigbootea

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 05:06 am
i thought that a man who is hard is able to find what woman need and to be hard to find is what men need to give vocally unless the find they have and have been found by women is what they need to compensate.....????? hhhhmmmm
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:40 am
therisingaction wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

LOL....that's too funny.

don't encourage me....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 08:40 pm
BVT, Mae West was known for her classic quotes.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:20 pm
Theme--A Good Man Is Hard To Find
The theme of a story is its message.

The theme of A Good Man is Hard to Find is that God is gracious. The crucial line, near the end, is "the grandmother's head cleared for an instant..." At this point the foolish woman got a clear enough picture of God's redemptive grace to secure her own salvation and to pass that message on to the Misfit who then shot her to death.

This is a difficult story, made no less puzzling by the fact that O'Connor couldn't stop herself from commenting on its meaning whenever she thought someone else was getting it wrong.
0 Replies