Free Plagiarism Finder?

sozobe

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 07:52 pm
As part of my current editing assignment I'm supposed to check for plagiarism. I'm finding a lot just by grabbing a suspect sentence and plugging it into Google. (The plagiarism is usually by the paragraph, but the sentence gets me there.)

It's not foolproof, though -- I've found plagiarism in about half the articles by a single author I've edited so far, but am not sure whether the other half are devoid of plagiarism or I just haven't picked the right sentence.

It seems to me like there must be something out there where you plug in an entire document and it brings up online matches. Seems like high schools and universities would have a use for something like that.

But not sure a) if it exists, or if it does, whether b) it exists in a form that is free.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 27,060 • Replies: 22
Topic Closed
No top replies

dlowan

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 07:58 pm
It certainly exists.

The free I know nothing about.

(Half an encouragement is better than no cake?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:05 pm
Hmmm... half an encouragement and a cookie, maybe...

So I went ahead and Googled "Free plagiarism finder", and whaddya know:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Business/Educational_Tools/Plagiarism_Finder_Download.html

http://www.downseek.com/download/27733.asp

http://www.popularshareware.com/Plagiarism-Finder-download-14985.html

(Not quite free, can try it free but then have to buy it.)

Still wary of downloading something I know nothing about, so feedback welcomed, whether it be a specific recommendation or a general approach so as to be confident that what I'm downloading is fine.
0 Replies

fishin

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:07 pm
Check out a few of these:

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/angie/plagiarism/plaglinks.htm
sozobe

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:12 pm
Thanks, fishin'!

This (from your link), looks promising, but no longer free:

http://www.turnitin.com/static/products_services/plagiarism_prevention.html
0 Replies

roger

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:27 pm
FWIW, there used to be a program for English teachers that would spot inconsistant style. It wasn't free, and I don't recall the name.

In other words, "Hi, how ya doing tonight, soz?"
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:49 pm
I've got that, in spades, right here <taps noggin'>!

That's what I've relied on so far. Just went through 8 articles by this person -- found an online source for at least one paragraph (and often great chunks of the article) for all of 8 'em, just by following my nose. A li'l tedious, though.

Other than that, I'm fine! :-) You?
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:17 pm
I hadn't even asked him, but my boss (I guess -- I'm freelance enough that he doesn't feel particularly bossy) came up with a great one:

http://www.webmasterlabor.com/tools/checker/

That will save a TON of time. (Which means it will save him money, too, but that's not a part I enjoyed so it's cool.)
0 Replies

livingthedream

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 07:29 am
Have you tried turnitin.com? When I was in school all of teh professors had us turn everything in to that and I know it worked really well at the time (dammit!) Just kidding. Hope that helps??
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 08:09 am
Thanks for the suggestion! That was mentioned up a few posts, when I checked into it seems to no longer be free. The webmasterlabor one works really well -- but is pretty easy to stump. :-? I have seen a lot of phrases that sound suspicious to me and if I Google just fragments I find out that the author has just changed one or two words.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 08:39 am
Very interesting links
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 27 Oct, 2005 12:24 pm
Re: Free Plagiarism Finder?
sozobe wrote:
As part of my current editing assignment I'm supposed to check for plagiarism. I'm finding a lot just by grabbing a suspect sentence and plugging it into Google. (The plagiarism is usually by the paragraph, but the sentence gets me there.)

It's not foolproof, though -- I've found plagiarism in about half the articles by a single author I've edited so far, but am not sure whether the other half are devoid of plagiarism or I just haven't picked the right sentence.

If the simple procedure you describe has a success rate of 50%, perhaps you could automate the process? For example you could write a Python- or Perl- script that reads your author's document line by line, plugs every line into Google, parses the resulting search page, and tells you when Google gets more than X hits on any particular line. Not sure if you're into programming though. Maybe you told me once, but I don't remember.
0 Replies

tycoon

Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:56 am
I moderate formal debates on another forum. I always run texts through this site:

http://www.copyscape.com/

To use, I click the thread so that it alone appears in the URL window, then simply let the program search the web.
0 Replies

Roberta

Mon 5 Feb, 2007 04:29 am
I just encountered what I sense is plagiarism in a chapter I'm editing. Your timing is poifect, Soz. Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

I haven't been asked to check on such things--yet. I usually have to just report suspicions. But it's good to know that these sites exist.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 5 Feb, 2007 05:44 am
Because I sometimes write things, then worry I may have unwittingly echoed earlier reading, I need something like this also.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 6 Feb, 2007 07:41 am
bump
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 6 Feb, 2007 09:43 am
Hey Roberta,

This is actually an old one (a bit more than a year) that was just resurrected. The job I refer to is long over, thank goodness. Plagiarism up the waZOO. So irritating. I was being paid as a copy editor but ended up re-writing everything.

The "webmasterlabor" link in one of my last posts here was very useful, though.
0 Replies

Roberta

Tue 6 Feb, 2007 01:18 pm
Oops, just checked the dates. Old is right. But the resurrection was timely. Glad I found it the second time around.
0 Replies

cello

Sun 11 Feb, 2007 09:16 am
I heard that universities have programs to regularly check for plagiarism, as it is in such a great extent by many students. I think the article I read talked about medical students, thus the concerns about what kind of doctors we get, more so than students in arts. It is a shame really.

My question is how do you know who copies from whom, i.e. if the person you checked has not been copied by another person instead, and that he is the original writer of those ideas?
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 11 Feb, 2007 09:50 am
I think the idea is that usually if something is being checked it's much newer than whatever it's being checked against. The stuff I was editing hadn't been published yet -- there was no way for it to have been plagiarized. Same with newly-turned-in school assignments.
0 Replies