timber?

wvc

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:47 am
Timber, I was told to seek your help. I've posted my problem under "Can't Access a Web Page", and the person helping me suggested I contact you. I don't know how else to get in touch with you, so I thought I'd just post a S.O.S.

I can't access a specific web page from my home computer. It's:
www.catholicintl.com

I visit it regularly, and can access it from work with no problems, but my home computer refuses to load the page. I'm not sure exactly how long it's been like this (I was recently away from home for 6 months), but my wife says she couldn't access it as far as 2 weeks ago.

I have tried from Internet Explorer and Firefox, neither can access it (Firefox gives me the "document contain no data" alert). I've tried to reach it from Google. No joy. I've tried accessing the Google cache of it, but even that won't load! I tried the "text only" cache on Google, and that brought up the main page, but none of the links would work. I tried accessing the site with java and images turned off, but no luck.

I did a system restore from the earliest date, about 3 months ago, but that didn't change anything either. I've tried accessing it with my firewall turned off, nothing. I go through a small D-Link router, but I haven't touched its configurations since I first set it up, so I doubt that's the problem.

Do you have any idea what on earth might be causing this problem? It seems like something is specifically blocking my computer from getting to this one web page.

Thank you for you time and help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 772 • Replies: 12
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 12:09 pm
Looks like God doesn't want you reading that propaganda wvc :wink:
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 12:54 pm
Not Really...
I thought all the snarky religious comments belonged on the "Spirituality & Religion" message forum...

I've long ago learned that religious discussions on a message board are worse than a waste of time, but if you have something you would like to discuss, please let me know and I'll send you my email address.

Otherwise, any technical aid would be greatly appreciated!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:05 pm
Try this: open a DOS promt (start->run->command->ok), and ping the address from both locations (work and home).

ping www.catholicintl.com

Record the IP address returned and compare them.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:11 pm
Re: Not Really...
wvc wrote:
I thought all the snarky religious comments belonged on the "Spirituality & Religion" message forum...

but if you have something you would like to discuss, please let me know and I'll send you my email address.

I've got nothing to discuss. Sorry you were offended.
Timber is the resident computer wizard. He'll be along shortly...oh, and Drew's not too shabby either. Laughing
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:21 pm
Ping From Home
I pinged www.catholicintl.com from home and got Request Timed Out. Tried Google and it popped right back to me at around 58 ms. Won't be able to try from work for a little while (I'm on holiday for the next week, thank goodness), but I know I've never had any problems when checking the web page from work.

Again, it seems like I have access to ever web page out there except for this one. Even when its cached. Very strange.

For Panzade, no offense taken. Just answering one wisecrack with another (although I am always open to serious religious conversation, just not on a message board).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:56 pm
That's not an uncommon glitch, and most frequently results from either a corrupt index.dat file and/or a cache problem in your particular user profile. Its usually pretty easy to correct.

In Internet Explorer go to >Tools>Internet Options>"General" tab>Temporary Internet files, click "Delete Files", select "Delete all offline content" in the next dialog box, confirm, and click "OK", then, under "History", click "Clear History", confirm you wish to delete all items in your History folder, and click "OK". Close Internet Explorer. Log off Windows.

Log back on using the account of a fully-privileged user who does not experience the problem, or boot into safemode as Administrator, and then open a command prompt (Start>Run> type, without the quotes, "cmd", and click "OK" or hit ENTER). At the blinking cursor in the black-and-white command box that opens, change the directory to the following path:
<Your root drive, usually C>:\Documents and Settings\<your username here>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5, and type, without the quotes, "del index.dat" (observe the case and word spacing in the path, and the space between "del" and "index.dat"), and then hit ENTER. Exit the command prompt by typing, without the quotes, "exit" and hitting ENTER, then restart the computer, booting normally.

Lemme know what happens, or if those instructions aren't clear (I'm a lousy teacher), but I think that oughtta do it for you.

For more info, see this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article and its related links.
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:04 pm
Progress...sorta...
Well, I followed your directions and deleted the index.dat out of both user accounts on my computer after clearing out the cache and history and files on Internet Explorer and Firefox. So, I tried again, and it's sort of a little better.

Now, I can get the cached version of the web page to come up on Google immediately when I use Firefox or Internet Explorer. However, none of the pictures will load and none of the links work. I still cannot directly access the web page, just the Google cache of it. I still get Request Timed Out if I try to ping the website. I can still access pretty much every other web page on the Internet without any problems.

I haven't had a chance to go through the link you added with the Microsoft help, so I'll check through that and see if it gives me anything else. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help so far!
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:50 pm
Update
I tried it all again (after reviewing the Microsoft help page) and nothing changed. I delete all the cache, history, and files from both sides, then delete the index.dat files, but I can still only see the Google cache version of the web page. I can't directly access the web page or any of its links.

I'll putter around the Microsoft web page some more, to see if I can find anything else pertinent, but I'm pretty much lost in the woods on this one.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:39 pm
FYI, I just tried the site and it took several minutes to come up.

Here's the results of a ping test:

C:\Documents and Settings\drewdad>ping www.catholicintl.com

Pinging www.catholicintl.com [209.188.11.222] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.188.11.222:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Do you get the same IP address when you ping?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:15 pm
The url catholicintl gives me the website no problem, pinging it times out, as does pinging 209.188.11.222 (which, when entered into the address bar, points to the home page of the webhost of the site you're trying to reach, not the CatholicIntl site itself). Nothing odd about any of that really; many sites do not return pings, by design.

Mebbe you've got a DNS problem on your machine. See the article Here for tips and instructions on using the ipconfig command to troubleshoot and resolve DNS problems.
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 07:18 am
DNS?
Timber,

I checked out that web page, but, alas, I mostly just confused myself. I'm afraid I have no idea what DHCP or DNS really means. I tried the flushdns command, but that didn't change anything. So I did the displaydns command, and this is what it gave me:

C:\Documents and Settings\Vince Cornell>ipconfig/displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

pdns2.ultradns.net
----------------------------------------
Record Name . . . . . : pdns2.ultradns.net
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 255
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 204.74.109.1

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
Record Name . . . . . : 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.
Record Type . . . . . : 12
Time To Live . . . . : 559803
PTR Record . . . . . : localhost

pdns3.ultradns.org
Record Name . . . . . : pdns3.ultradns.org
A (Host) Record . . . : 199.7.68.1

text.burstnet.com
Record Name . . . . . : text.burstnet.com
Record Type . . . . . : 5
CNAME Record . . . . : burst.us.intellitxt.com

pdns1.ultradns.net
Record Name . . . . . : pdns1.ultradns.net
A (Host) Record . . . : 204.74.108.1

pdns5.ultradns.info
Record Name . . . . . : pdns5.ultradns.info
A (Host) Record . . . : 204.74.114.1

pdns4.ultradns.org
Record Name . . . . . : pdns4.ultradns.org
A (Host) Record . . . : 199.7.69.1

udns2.ultradns.net
Record Name . . . . . : udns2.ultradns.net
A (Host) Record . . . : 204.74.101.1

udns1.ultradns.net
Record Name . . . . . : udns1.ultradns.net
A (Host) Record . . . : 204.69.234.1

pdns6.ultradns.co.uk
Record Name . . . . . : pdns6.ultradns.co.uk
A (Host) Record . . . : 204.74.115.1

localhost
Record Name . . . . . : localhost
Time To Live . . . . : 559803
A (Host) Record . . . : 127.0.0.1

zonelabs.com
Record Name . . . . . : zonelabs.com
Time To Live . . . . : 68177
A (Host) Record . . . : 208.185.174.44

Naturally, I have no idea what any of this means (I also hope it's safe to post this information). Any other ideas for what commands I should try?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 04:22 pm
That indicates to me your HOSTS file has been messed with - a common trick of yuckware.

I suspect there's gonna be more to do, but might as well start by seeing if you can fix the hosts file.

Here's a good resource[/i][/u] for host file questions, answers, tips, and fixes.
0 Replies