Can't Access A Web Paqe

wvc

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
Help! For some bizarre reason, I can't access a website I regularly visit. It's called Catholic Apologetics International, the url is:
www.catholicintl.com

I can access it from the computer at work, but not from my home PC. I've switched web browsers, turned off my firewall, but no luck. I used to be able to access it with no problem, but haven't been able to get to it for at least 2 weeks now.

Is it my ISP? My router? I haven't made any changed to my router since it was installed, so I don't think it's the router. Please help. I have no idea what's going on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,980 • Replies: 36
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:27 pm
wwc, Go to Google and type www.catholicintl.com. Click on the link for that site. After you get access, highlight the link and use that as your Favorites.
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:24 pm
more complicated
Should've added this in the original post. I can't access it directly from Google either. But the weird part is, I can't even access it from the Google cache!! After I tried that and couldn't get even the cached version of the web page to come up, with either Explorer or Firefox, I figured something weird was up.

Has anyone seen this before??
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:28 pm
wvc, The next step I would suggest is to go retro back to a date when it was working.
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:39 pm
forgive my ignorance
When you say go retro, what specifically does that entail? Are you talking about a system restore?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:40 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:08 pm
again, I'm new at this stuff
What, exactly, does a system restore do? I know how to execute it, I just don't know what it will do to my computer. Will I lose all my data and programs that have been installed since the date of the restore I'm reverting to? Or does it effect settings only? Just trying to get a battle-damage assessment before I commit.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:45 pm
You will not lose any of your data - even those you have downloaded recently.

Go to Systems Restore and choose a date you think preceeds the problem you identified.

Give it a try. I usually go back to the date from a previous week if a problem just started to show up.
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:17 am
System Restore Didn't Work
Well, I tried to System Restore as far back as it would let me (about 3 months), and it didn't change anything. Any other thoughts?

I appreciate your help. I don't know if this makes any difference, but when I try to access the website with Firefox, it says the "Document contains no data."
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 10:29 am
One More Thing
I was playing around a little more, and I discovered that if I click on the "text only" option in the Google Cache of this website, it will come up. But then any links from that page lead me right back to the "Document contains no data" alert. If I try to just view the page as is on the Google Cache, the top part, with all the words explaining that this is a cache, will come up, but the page refuses to load.

I tried turning off java and images and viewing the page, but that didn't make any difference.

I'm mystified. Anyone seen this before?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:01 am
I've exausted what I do to "clean up" my computer when I run into problems. Sorry, can't be of any further help. I would suggest you contact timber; he's an expert on computers, and it's free on a2k. Good luck. Let us know what solution you used for the problem.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:15 pm
Hello wvc, welcome to A2K.

Did the connection problem occur concurrently with the installation of any new software? Is this the only site you are having problems connecting to?
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:26 pm
No new software
Nope. Didn't install any new software recently. My wife installed some Kodak Digital Camera software, but that was months ago (although I might try to uninstall it and see if that makes a difference). Didn't make any configuration changes that I'm aware of. And, as far as I know, I have access to every single web page on the Information Super-Highway except this one (google, homestar runner, weather.com, no problems with any other websites).

What really confused me is that I can't access the cached version of the web page on Google. Isn't that basically just me accessing Google's stored copy of the web page? So I'm not even going directly to the web site, just to Google, which I already know I can get to. But even so, no joy.

Thanks for your help.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:45 pm
wvc, I don't think it's the Kodak software, because I've had Kodak on my computer for years without any -problems.
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:52 pm
no luck
Timber's been helping me under another thread, but so far I'm still out of luck. I don't think it's the Kodak software either, but I have no idea what it could be at this point. If anyone comes up with any wild ideas, I'll give them a try.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 07:35 pm
Why don't you write Microsoft or the manufacturer of your computer? Worth a try.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:18 am
ci,

Please stop. Not a single thing you've told wvc has anything to do with his problem and getting him to do system restore and such when you don't know what you are talking about is just not responsible. You are going to end up causing damage if you keep telling people to do things to their computers.

wvc,

The Google cache does not save the images, css etc. So even using the Google cache (non-text only version) means sending some requests to said site.

I would look into your HOSTS file first with this kind of problem if I were you. Pay attention to what Timber tells you as well, but for god's sake don't go and do anything someone tells you to do here.
0 Replies

wvc

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:51 pm
thanks
Craven,

I've been following Timber's instructions, and so far I'm not out of the woods yet. I recently posted my DNS under the thread he's helping me on. I tried to delete the index.dat file and to flush the DNS and neither of those helped any.

Can you tell me more about how to look at the HOSTS file? I'm not familiar with that process.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:16 pm
Craven, What will you do if I don't stop?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:23 pm
Re: thanks
wvc wrote:
Can you tell me more about how to look at the HOSTS file? I'm not familiar with that process.

Its a file named HOSTS, which is sorta like a traffic cop for your browser; it can redirect a typed or clicked URL to a totally different URL. In WinXP it should be found in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC (assuming your root drive - the drive on which Windows is installed - is C: ). In Win2K, it should be found in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC, and in Win 9x\ME, look for it in C:\WINDOWS. To view its contents, open it in Notepad.
0 Replies