Bollywood Masala......Please add your spices!

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:30 am
Very Happy So how many of you know we have paheli being nominated for the academy awards?
well, i thought it should have been Black>
anyway, i haven't seen any of them>
what do you think? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,672 • Replies: 23
No top replies

the prince

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 06:31 am
Paheli was so boring that I switched it off after 30 mins. Not sure abt Black either, while everything was superb, the emotions did seem forced at times (though I must admit, I cried a lot during the movie and in the last scene was literally sobbing)
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:26 am
bollywood sucks ass.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:15 am
You Know why?
brahmin wrote:
bollywood sucks ass.

Let me tell you one thing abt bollywood....

You Love it, You Hate It... But its gonna be there...

So may it be Paheli Or Black I do not find any bollywood movie be given Oscar sooner....

Reasons:

1. Soulless - The script decides the fate of a film. Bollywood movies are almost void of that.

2. Genuineness - We say BLACK is ORIGINAL INDIAN CLASSIC undoubted winner of OSCAR... Its a REMAKE of 1962 Oscar winner Hollywood flick THE MIRACLE WORKER that was made inspired from a play called "the Helen Keller Story".

Many commercially successful directors like Yash Chopra, Karan Johar, Sanjay Leela Bhansali or Mahesh Bhatt has remade countless Hollywood films and distributed them as hindi films to fooled Indians.

3. Dance, Songs and Comedy: We use them as FILLERS.... No doubt bollywood songs and music have contributed to Indian Art BUT they are always secondary. We haven't had made any successful film with script solely based on DANCE, MUSIC or COMEDY.

4. When one says BOLLYWOOD we refer to the commercial Hindi cinema... But we conveniently ignore the regional cinema that makes CLASSICS almost all time of the year. Satyajit Ray belonged to this domain than the commercial domain.

But these are not glittering, not advertised as much as a mid-budget bollywood film so they fail on Box Office.

5. Immature Audience: The songs, item numbers, obscene comedies and over exaggerated show off of the melodramatic Indian culture has worsen the scenario. The hindi audience is absolutely blinded by these futile factors rather than the real stories and script.

You may question.... If this is THE reality.... how do people fall in love with them, how do they praise them and make them successful?

INDIAN culture had always been a kind of celebration. The same reflects in our films and appeals to the average INDIAN audience. An average Indian is so much pissed by the day to day hectic misery that he cannot digest serious meaningful cinema but seeks for entertainment that is ONLY available in shallow bollywood films. When you don't give them entertainment you cannot thrive.

Many talented directors like Shyam Benegal are a major victims of this reality. Sad

What about Foreign (Indian) audience? They just watch film to get virtual sense of being close to their culture and country. They very nicely fooled by the Yashraj or Ghai Camps. Mad

Phirangs (Non-Indians) watch them just as a curiosity to see WHY indians madly praise them. Razz
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 06:44 am
Quote:
Dance, Songs and Comedy: We use them as FILLERS.... No doubt bollywood songs and music have contributed to Indian Art BUT they are always secondary

Black had none so i thought it stood a better chance...huh
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:06 pm
See...
spidergal wrote:
Black had none so i thought it stood a better chance...huh

I aint in a favor of Paheli either ....

Watch Maine Gandi ko nahi mara..... a near masterpiece.....this should be the next (could have been this) years (if released early) oscar nomination from india..... the emotional treatment is like a hollywood flick Iris but screenplay is absolutely original.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:57 am
I liked Paheli Smile - it's derived from a Rajasthani folk tale. There is a Kannada folk tale by Girish Karnad on the same lines, which is an interesting read. But I'm not convinced it is oscar-winning material. ....."Raincoat" might be a worthy candidate.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:58 am
Re: You Know why?
vinsan wrote:
brahmin wrote:
bollywood sucks ass.

Let me tell you one thing abt bollywood....

You Love it, You Hate It... But its gonna be there...

well i hope it doesnt.
but if it does stay, then i am very hopeful that it will get better. cos it cant get worse.

Quote:
An average Indian is so much pissed by the day to day hectic misery that he cannot digest serious meaningful cinema

says who???

problem is that the average indian hasnt the foggiest idea what good cinema should be all about.

also bollywood directors havent the foggiest idea what film making (and especially good dialogue - of which bollywod has N-O-N-E) is all about. (thats cos its actually Pollywood - thick punjabi wood)

Quote:

Many talented directors like Shyam Benegal are a major victims of this reality.

yes.

not that shyam benegal is terribly good, only that indians are plain thick when it comes to digging films.

have you seen "6 degrees of separation" ??
or even "anything else" ?? the latter is as un-serious a film as can be - yet has very good dialogues and subtle humour (another thing bollywood doesnt have - humour). the less spoken about the er..slapstickycity of comedy in bollywod fimls the better.

bollywood films would make for good music videos for bhangra songs.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:32 am
brahmin, pls dont take this as any kind of personal attack, why but why are you so cynical abt everything "india" ?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 07:04 am
the prince wrote:
brahmin, pls dont take this as any kind of personal attack, why but why are you so cynical abt everything "india" ?

i am not !!!

if bollywod made films as witty as say "anything else" is , then i'd have been to glad to say it was.

it just so happens that i canty stand bollywood films and music, especially today's stuff (back in the day, both songs and film were good).

what else was i being cynical about ??
nehru and gandhi??

we really could have done without beevis and butthead.
0 Replies

macaroni

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:02 pm
why is it that indian movies always are entertaining and fun in the beginning. And it seems that by the end of the movie the whole cast is so tired that they don't have the energy to do anything more creative and go back to the old "formulaic" endings? This i do not understand. Have you watched "hum tum" it was pretty good in the beginning and different and then.. *ugh*
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 07:00 pm
the directors ( and the producers)always buy packets of Glucon D before the shooting sets off. AND those packets come as a part of the budget and usually all of them get swapped up by the time film is about to close....wopps,so you could guess why thethe whole cast is so tired that they don't have the energy to do anything more creative and go back to the old "formulaic" endings?

and cuz the team is running out of money they can't buy more packets......so sad
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 04:59 am
spidergal wrote:
the directors ( and the producers)always buy packets of Glucon D before the shooting sets off. AND those packets come as a part of the budget and usually all of them get swapped up by the time film is about to close....wopps,so you could guess why thethe whole cast is so tired that they don't have the energy to do anything more creative and go back to the old "formulaic" endings?

and cuz the team is running out of money they can't buy more packets......so sad

Agree
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 06:09 am
el is great aish deewana mindsay says vivek won't be too happy to see him..'
shucks....looks like mindsay reads past issues of Cine Blitz Aish and vivek jodi is gone!!!! good morning mindsay.
so, anyone know who's aish baby's latest love interest?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 06:25 am
Aish
Aish's Love Historty...

#1. Sabir Bhatia (don't tell me you don't know him!)
#2. Akshay Kumar (this affair started on a swimming pool and was ended by Mrs. Akshay Kumar)
#3. Salman Khan (this went too long.. but man! this guys gets all babes everytime ... first it was Sangeeta Bijlani, Somi Ali, Aishwarya rai, Katrina Kaif...)
#4. Vivek Oberoy .. (Aish in his arms only in one FLOP cinema & in his dreams... he is also bothered by somebody else in his dreams ....#3)

Aish's Love Future....

? (lots of singles there.... me available too)
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:16 pm
Quote:

Aish's Love Historty...

#1. Sabir Bhatia (don't tell me you don't know him!)
Quote:

ofcourse i know who's SB the same guy who created Hotmail....huh..
LOL i din know he was ash's love interest sometime nor did i know about the swimming pool fling....
LOL i was saying its bachhan JUnior this time out..
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:33 pm
I'm the only idiot who voted no to smooching scenes now am I? I'm sorry...but personally I think we should leave kissing to the experts - the US. Let's keep Indian Bollywood traditional - dancing singing and young love but not kissing and not more than kissing!!

Razz
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:34 am
ah...er...you are right. My thoughts coincide with yours on this point. LOL i am the idiot who said yes...LOL.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:46 am
I did some reading on Sha Rukh Khans past films - his earlier ones and it seems he wasn't always the pretty-cheeky-romantic but sometimes a vicious-jealous-angry young man. It suprises me that he got these roles, then again I have never seen him other than as a handsome romantic so I can't really say anything... - and the movies with the negative roles were big hits...hey who am I to comment?

Indian movie stars mainly get born into the industry, I must say, unless, it seems, you're one of the three big Khans or one of the Miss India/Miss World winners.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:51 am
SRK played -ive in DARR but that was a sympathetic villain and ....a villain with whom the audience fall in love with....LOL i was on SRK's side for the whole of the flick and wished he get teh girl...well...ummm...u may guess why it was a hit?
0 Replies