The way has been cleared for BC to sue tobacco companies

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:57 pm
This will be a victory for all Canadians with possible repercussions elsewhere.

Major victory for the Province in its legal battle with tobacco companies

Sep, 29 2005 - 3:10 PM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - A major victory for the Province in its legal battle with tobacco companies.

Legislation which allows the Province to sue cigarette makers for health care costs has withstood a challenge in Canada's top court.

The Supreme Court of Canada has dismissed an appeal by the companies.

The Province wants billions of dollars from the tobacco manufacturers - perhaps as much as 10 billion dollars - which was one estimate of the cost of smoking to the Provincial Health Care System.

That issue is one that still has to go through the courts.

BC has taken the lead on this, but other Provinces are interested in following suit.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 427 • Replies: 6
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:02 pm
for gods sake Rolling Eyes
If one chooses to puff away on ciggy's then one should cover their own medical costs due to smoking related illnesses, dont blame the tobacco companies blame yourself for taking up the nasty habit.... :wink:
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:08 pm
I was just watching this on the news.

I think it's great. Smokers have poured so much money into cigs and taxes; and we're gonna need that money for health care.

F*** the Tobacco Companies. Laughing I don't feel bad for them in the least.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
for gods sake Rolling Eyes
If one chooses to puff away on ciggy's then one should cover their own medical costs due to smoking related illnesses, dont blame the tobacco companies blame yourself for taking up the nasty habit.... :wink:

That's all fine and well to say that, but that's not reality, is it? Especially when the tobacco companies have been caught out in lie after lie on the content and so-called "harmlessness" of their products.

What about those who chose not to smoke and became sick as a result of second-hand smoke?

I say screw them into the ground and bankrupt them. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
...and those who 'choose' to work with hazardous materials, chemicals sharp implements and so forth bla bla bla..just another excuse to get money for nothing :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:50 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
...and those who 'choose' to work with hazardous materials, chemicals sharp implements and so forth bla bla bla..just another excuse to get money for nothing :wink:

Workers deserve to be protected in the workplace.

I don't know what sort of set-up you have in NZ, but here in Canada, there are rules in place for such. If workers are injured, they are helped and compensated.

I wouldn't say, "that's for nothing", would you?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:41 pm
Reyn wrote:
Workers deserve to be protected in the workplace.
I fully agree with workers rights to be protected in the work place...we have them in place here,
I don't know what sort of set-up you have in NZ, but here in Canada, there are rules in place for such. If workers are injured, they are helped and compensated.
'Workers' yes...so how does smoking pertain to this?

I wouldn't say, "that's for nothing", would you?
as per below

So you are saying that one can knowingly put themselves into a potentialy harmful situation 'beforehand'....then blame someone else for making them start, later on down the track!

Thats just as ludacrious as stating that because the tobacco companies never told the truth as to what 'other' nasty chemicals are used in the production of tobacco, its also an entitlement to sue?
....are people that disalusioned to think that by taking up the habit in the first place, there will be no risk involved?, I dont think people are that dumb, so yeah as I said before, its just money for nothing!

Thats like sueing MacDonalds cause your kids are too fat! :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The way has been cleared for BC to sue tobacco companies
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:24:55