Is money all that is holding you back from happiness?

vfr

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 01:50 pm
Is money all that is holding you back from happiness? Here is an interesting story about some lotto winners that found out that it is true as to what I wrote in my earlier post on virtue "circumstances do not make the man - they reveal him to himself."

In a nutshell, it all boils down to what an old sponsor told me in Debtors Anonymous many years ago. He said"If we are spiritually sick we will find a way to get rid of the money no matter what." It is the same with all addictions as well, whether it is fat, clutter or the rest. This was posted at AOL Personal Finance - no anonymity has been broken and it is all public record

By ELLEN GOODSTEIN

For a lot of people, winning the lottery is the American dream. But for many lottery winners, the reality is more like a nightmare.

"Winning the lottery isn't always what it's cracked up to be," says Evelyn Adams, who won the New Jersey lottery not just once but twice (1985, 1986) to the tune of $5.4 million. Today the money is all gone and Adams lives in a trailer.

"I won the American dream but I lost it, too. It was a very hard fall. It's called rock bottom," says Adams.

"Everybody wanted my money. Everybody had their hand out. I never learned one simple word in the English language -- 'No.' I wish I had the chance to do it all over again. I'd be much smarter about it now," says Adams who also lost money at the slot machines in Atlantic City.

"I was a big time gambler," admits Adams. "I didn't drop a million dollars, but it was a lot of money. I made mistakes, some I regret, some I don't. I'm human. I can't go back now so I just go forward, one step at a time."

Living on food stamps
William "Bud" Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988 but now lives on his Social Security.

"I wish it never happened. It was totally a nightmare," says Post.

A former girlfriend successfully sued him for a share of his winnings. It wasn't his only lawsuit. A brother was arrested for hiring a hit man to kill him, hoping to inherit a share of the winnings. Other siblings pestered him until he agreed to invest in a car business and a restaurant in Sarasota, Fla., -- two ventures that brought no money back and further strained his relationship with his siblings.

Post even spent time in jail for firing a gun over the head of a bill collector.

Within a year, he was $1 million in debt.

Post admitted he was both careless and foolish, trying to please his family. He eventually declared bankruptcy.

Now he lives quietly on $450 a month and food stamps.

"I'm tired, I'm over 65 years old, and I just had a serious operation for a heart aneurysm. Lotteries don't mean [anything] to me," says Post.

Deeper in debt
Suzanne Mullins won $4.2 million in the Virginia lottery in 1993. Now she's deeply in debt to a company that lent her money using the winnings as collateral.

She borrowed $197,746.15, which she agreed to pay back with her yearly checks from the Virginia lottery through 2006. But, when the rules changed allowing her to collect her winnings in a lump sum, she cashed in the remaining amount. But, she stopped making payments on the loan.

She blamed the debt on the lengthy illness of her uninsured son-in-law who needed $1 million for medical bills.

Mark Kidd, the Roanoke, Va., lawyer who represented the Singer Asset Finance Company who sued Mullins, confirms. He won a judgment for the company against Mullins for $154,147 last May, but they have yet to collect a nickel.

"My understanding is she has no assets," says Kidd.
Back to the basics
Ken Proxmire was a machinist when he won $1 million in the Michigan lottery. He moved to California, went into the car business with his brothers and within five years, Ken had filed for bankruptcy.

"He was just a poor boy who got lucky and wanted to take care of everybody," explains Ken's son Rick.

"It was a hell of a good ride for three or four years, but now he lives more simply. There's no more talk of owning a helicopter or riding in limos. We're just everyday folk. Dad's now back to work as a machinist," says his son.

Willie Hurt of Lansing, Mich., won $3.1 million in 1989. Two years later he was broke and charged with murder. His lawyer says Hurt spent his fortune on a divorce and crack cocaine.

Charles Riddle of Belleville, Mich., won $1 million in 1975. Afterward, he got divorced, faced several lawsuits and was indicted for selling cocaine.

Missourian Janite Lee won $18 million in 1993. Lee was generous to a variety of causes, particularly politics, education and the community. But according to published reports, eight years after winning, Lee had filed for bankruptcy with only $700 left in two bank accounts and no cash on hand.

One Southeastern family won $4.2 million in the early '90s. They bought a huge house and succumbed to repeated family requests for help in paying off debts.

The house, cars and relatives ate the whole pot. Eleven years later, the couple is divorcing, the house is sold, and they have to split what is left of the lottery proceeds. The wife got a very small house and the husband has moved in with the kids. Even the life insurance they bought ended up getting cashed in.

"It was not the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow," says their financial advisor.

Luck is fleeting
These sad-but-true tales are not uncommon, say the experts.

"For many people, sudden money can cause disaster," says Susan Bradley, a certified financial planner in Palm Beach, Fla., and founder of the Sudden Money Institute, a resource center for new money recipients and their advisors.

"In our culture, there is a widely held belief that money solves problems. People think if they had more money, their troubles would be over. When a family receives sudden money, they frequently learn that money can cause as many problems as it solves," she says.

Craig Wallace, a senior funding officer for a company that buys lottery annuity payments in exchange for lump sums, agrees.

"Going broke is a common malady, particularly with the smaller winners. Say you've won $1 million. What you've really won is a promise to be paid $50,000 a year. People win and they think they're millionaires. They go out and buy houses and cars and before they know it, they're in way over their heads," he says.

Are you really a 'millionaire'?
Part of the problem is that the winners buy into the hype.

"These people believe they are millionaires. They buy into the hype, but most of these people will go to their graves without ever becoming a millionaire," says Wallace, who has been in the business for almost a decade.

"In New Jersey, they manipulate the reality of the situation to sell more tickets. Each winner takes a picture with a check that becomes a 3-foot by 5-foot stand-up card. The winner is photographed standing next to a beautiful woman and the caption reads: 'New Jersey's newest millionaire.'"

Winning plays a game with your head
Bradley, who authored "Sudden Money: Managing a Financial Windfall," says winners get into trouble because they fail to address the emotional connection to the windfall.

"There are two sides to money. The interior side is the psychology of money and the family relationship to money. The exterior side is the tax codes, the money allocation, etc."

"The goal is to integrate the two. People who can't integrate their interior relationship with money appropriately are more likely to crash and burn," says Bradley.

"Often they can keep the money and lose family and friends -- or lose the money and keep the family and friends -- or even lose the money and lose the family and friends."

Bill Pomeroy, a certified financial planner in Baton Rouge, La., has dealt with a number of lottery winners who went broke.

"Because the winners have a large sum of money, they make the mistake of thinking they know what they're doing. They are willing to plunk down large sums on investments they know nothing about or go in with a partner who may not know how to run a business."

What if you get so (un)lucky?
To offset some bad early-decision making and the inevitable requests of friends, relatives and strangers, Bradley recommends lottery winners start by setting up a DFZ or decision-free zone.

"Take time out from making any financial decisions," she says. "Do this right away. For some people, it's smart to do it before you even get your hands on the money.

"People who are not used to having money are fragile and vulnerable, and there are plenty of people out there who are willing to prey on that vulnerability -- even friends and family," she cautions.

"It's not a time to decide what stocks to buy or jump into a new house purchase or new business venture.

"It's a time to think things through, sort things out and seek an advisory team to help make those important financial choices."

As an example, Bradley says that on a list on 12 things people who come into a windfall will spend money on, buying a house is at the top of the list while investing is number 11.

"You really don't want to buy a new house before taking the time to think about what the consequences are.

"A lot of people who don't have money don't realize how much it costs to live in a big house -- decorators, furniture, taxes, insurance, even utility costs are greater. People need a reality check before they sign the contract," she says.

Evelyn Adams, the N.J. lottery double-winner, learned these lessons the hard way.

"There are a lot of people out there like me who don't know how to deal with money," laments Adams. "Hey, some people went broke in six months. At least I held on for a few years."

Written for a 12 step group

"Circumstances does not make the man - it reveals him to himself"

J.W. the largest lotto winner in history, winning $314.9 million seems to be the news a lot. He was robbed at an adult strip bar a while back. Another report on the news a few weeks ago has charges being brought up against him for threatening the life of a bartender after being banned from the bar for being unruly. Lately he was picked up and arrested for DUI. J.W. is obviously overweight from the photos we see of him, so food addiction might be another problem as well as who knows how many other addictions and problems he has to deal with that are not so glaring.

I am not writing about J.W. to badmouth him or break his anonymity, since all this is public record and on the news. I am writing about this topic to underscore the facts that "circumstances does not make the man - it reveals him to himself" and money cannot buy happiness and especially can never buy peace and serenity. Many of us put our happiness and hopes of peace on hold until we would come into a windfall, maybe not as extreme as J.W.'s windfall, but we put things on hold none the same and cannot find happiness and peace where we are at.

This phrase, "circumstances does not make the man - it reveals him to himself" was taken from James Allen little book entitled "As A Man Thinketh." (Now, all you women that dislike anything male, go buy a copy of As a Woman Thinketh, so you don't feel left out.) This important concept of "self revelation" can also be told in a story that is used in philosophy class called the Ring of Gyges or Myth of Gyges. The story taken from Plato's Republic and recounts how the shepherd Gyges finds a ring on a hand extending from a crack in the earth and removes the ring from the hand and puts it on. Gyges discovers the ring gives him powers to be invisible at will and then uses these powers to kill the king, rape the queen and take over the kingdom. Afterwards, his lack of virtue catches up with him.

What is virtue and ethics? Some authorities define it as moral excellence or excellence of the soul. In readily understandable terms we can define virtue for us from this story of Gyges and ask ourselves the question, "What would we do if no one was looking or we knew we would not get caught?" Yes, circumstances does not make the man - it reveals him to himself. Virtue or moral excellence cannot be bought as the example of J.W. proves. Virtue is not learned from the classroom, other than memorizing definitions. Remember, a fool can only say what he knows ~ it takes a wise man to know what he says. How do we develop living a virtuous life and really know what we say? As Professor D. Robinson of Georgetown mentioned in a lecture on virtue, "We develop virtue by practicing being virtuous or morally excellent 7 days a week and each day being better than the day before -- in other words we make it a habit of being virtuous."

"Circumstances does not make the man - it reveals him to himself"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,498 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:13 pm
I personally don't know one single person who was made more "happy" by the acquisition and accumulation of wealth. And I've known some quite wealthy people. The one has nothing whatever to do with the other. Money is useful, but if acquiring more of it becomes a person's most important goal, I can absolutely gurantee that that person will never achieve anything resembling even contentment, let alone happiness. The bottom line: hapiness is not getting what you want; hapiness is liking what you've got and making the most of it. The unhappy person's unhapiness is hardly ever due to a lack of funds -- it is usually due to an inner inability to cope with life.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 03:17 pm
VERY interesting topic.

Of course we've all heard the stories of people who run into a lot of money and loose it all, and more, and wonder for a second or two how that could happen, but never far beyond that.

Now I'm picturing myself walking down the street, or into a McDonalds, 7-11, Blockbuster, liquor store, Salvation Army, pharmacy, whatever, and handing 2 or 3 million dollars to the first person I see, and walking away.

Putting it in that perspective, it seems unthinkable.

I can't speak to the rest of the world, but I think America is incredibly bad about money management, and getting worse by the day.

People don't realize what a responsibility having a lot of money is.

OK this is a topic I avoid like the plague, but, here goes (deep breath)......

I'm not rich as far as money goes, so don't anybody get any ideas, but I was born into a very wealthy family. Both my parents are dead, so there's no big inheritance I'm waiting on, since I was and still am, the black sheep of the family.

It's very uncomfortable bringing that fact up, because I know very well the experience of having others immediately treat you differently (and not always better) when they find out where you came from, and how you were raised.

OK - that said, money definately does not bring happiness. It can mean always being afraid that somehow you will loose it, or have it taken from you.
It can stifle creativity because you may think, "why bother"
It can open you up to worlds you shouldn't be part of, like drugs etc.

Many people who have always just dreamt of money have never given thought to moderation, and improving the overall quality of their life. It's all about the bright shiny objects.

I don't know the answer to avoiding the pitfalls, and because we have such freedom of choice, one can't advise someone what to do with their money.
For those in a lottery type situation, I don't know. If they didn't have money skills, I don't know how successful giving them financial advice would be. You can advise and educate, but, as I have been discussing on another thread, it's up to them to make the right choices.

I used to fear dying poor, on the street, all that.
I wish I could say how, or when that stopped, but one day, it just wasn't there.
Perhaps because by that time, I was master of my destiny, and knew it was a total lie that the one who dies with the most toys wins.

I think the one who didn't let it go to their heads wins.

The thread of What would you do with 250 million was fun, and yes, houses, cars were on my list, nothing wrong with that at all. But I know those things will not make me happy.

The fact that I'm already happy will enable me to enjoy the toys though. :wink:
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 03:37 pm
I read someone say something like "those who say money doesn't bring happiness never had any."

I'm a happy person in general. But being in a good financial situation makes life a lot easier than worrying if you have enough money in your checking account to go out to eat. For me, it's not really how much money I have, it's knowing I have the freedom to just do whatever the hell I want without being in a lot of debt.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 03:51 pm
Money isn't all that it's hyped up to be. I had a decent sum of money and lost a great amount and then some more and then some more until I got to a place of mere survival and miraculously at about that time I got something new...happiness and peace of mind.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:24 pm
For me, if i had MORE money at this point i would be comfortable in -ways- that i cant be as is..
with that comfort it would be easier to learn to find happiness.

but i do not believe that money is HOW to find happiness. i think that too often people confuse happiness with shiny things, neighbor envy and world travel.
Being happy in your own skin is something noone can afford not to be and no amount of money will ever teach.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:52 pm
The reason I never buy a lottery ticket is because I'm afraid I might win. Then you've got a whole other set of decisions to make and a whole lot of other stuff to worry your head about.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 05:10 pm
This has actually been studied fairly extensively, though I am speaking only from memory.

If you live in real poverty, then adding money really DOES, in general, increase both happiness and other signs of wellbeing. A lot.

If you are coming from a reasonable base, then it does so to a much lesser extent, or not at all. If you are rich, then more not better.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:00 am
MARTIN SELIGMAN's book, Authentic happiness clearly states that a person's happiness is mostly predetermined by their attitude towards their past, their present and their future. External things such as money, social status, and relationships make up less than 10% of a person's happiness. If someone is well off enough and not in poverty, which applies to anyone who can afford his book will not benefit from more material possessions. They would be better off trying to wipe out the bad memories of the past, to create good daily memories by writing down 3 things each day that gave they gratification, and by being optimistic about the future.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:03 am
I think money gives freedom, it takes th pressure off us to find a job that will pay what we need and will mean if we want to work we can take our time finding a job we enjoy or even allow us to set up our own business.

Money doesnt necessarily make you happy but it can make you less stressed and gives you a choice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:55 am
Well, let's put it this way: a little less anxiety about $$$, in between jobs, would probably make me a more serene person! :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:00 am
Yes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:09 am
The problem is, that many people, who have lived their lives without money, don't know what to do with it, when they do have a windfall. They do not understand the concept of "making money", and what that entails. To many, money is something simply to be spent, until it is gone.

I agree with those who say that if a person is basically happy, money will only enhance the happiness, because the person does not have to be concerned with the everyday problems of survival.

If, on the other hand, the person is NOT happy, all the money in the world will not change that. In addition, the change in lifestyle brings on its own peculiar forms of stressors.

From the different stories that I have read about instant millionaires, apparently what a lot of them do, as soon as they come into the money, is to shoot their mouths off. Big mistake. They are only leaving themselves open to friends, relatives, and scam artists, who will use the guy's financial naivete to try to "relieve" him of some of his newly acquired cash. If I ever won the lottery, I think that I would tell my husband, period!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:13 am
Money equal to happiness? Not by a long shot.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:42 am
NOw that I have a part time job for the first time in my life, I feel like Im free, I can walk on the street without feeling inadequate, when I see something I like I can buy it without worrying about not having money to get it. SO money will make a difference if you are pennyless to begin with, but eventually as you get more and more it becomes less and less beneficial, the law of diminishing returns sets in. Eg, if im in the city and I want to eat out I will automatically buy the food without worrying about how much it costs and how this meal will affect my budget.
0 Replies