1968 and the living was weird

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:12 pm
Ok so I was driving an Abarth 1300 Fiat, The Prisoner was the number 1 BBC show and I was addicted. In the lower part of Pueblo Colorado was a cafe known as "Passkeys" run by an Italian family who had a 2 room establishment where they made their own sausage in the back roon and sandwiches out front and you called in for you order because the gangs of Mexicans lined one side of the entrance and the gangs of Italians lined the other side. 45 minutes before the start of "the prisoner" we called in our order for "6 Passkeys specials-with Pravalone" (what I think, in the east are called "grinders") and one of us would drive down there for the pick-up (with R.C. Cola's and chips) then homeward bound with a doobie and spend the evening eating very HOT peppers with our Passkey Specials, drinking R.C. Cola's while watching The Prisoner. In the 70's, Passkeys modernized and became a clean, well lighted, family establishment, so it goes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,075 • Replies: 95
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:14 pm
I was born in 68.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:16 pm
Did you have to walk between the gangs or did they just pass a bag out the window?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:28 pm
I was working, had a neat job, dated a lot, just moved into an excellent apartment which I would live in for another five years; spent a lot of time worried about my parents - my dad was in a psychiatric facility much of the year, then died in October. I was happy myself but sorrrowful about them.

I was just learning to cook, and getting to travel; went to mexico the year before and the year after, but not in '68. Had various developing political opinions. Ah, I don't think that was the year of the famed brownies.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:33 pm
I remember walking to the main street in our town and seeing what looked like a street fair with little rides for kids. I wanted to go on one of the rides but my dad forbade me .

It was a Nixon rally.

Dear old dad. May he rest in peace.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:35 pm
I was just a twinkle in my fathers eyes at the time. lol
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:35 pm
I was 12 years old in 1968. My family moved from one end of the state to the other. It was a tough age to move for a girl. My sister and I sang Simon and Garfunkle harmonies. I started to smoke, I stopped growing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:41 pm
Reminds me of picking up sandwiches at a place called Pointy's, if heard the name right. Sandwiches included pig ear sandwiches, with real pig ears, or so I'm told. This is located in scenic Denver, Colorado, at the incredibly scenic 5 Points.

Remind me to tell the story sometime, Dys.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:43 pm
Why not tell it now?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:49 pm
So lets see....that makes you 14 years older than me huh, Roger??? lol
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:52 pm
'68 -
I went with Jesse Jackson to Wash DC and after the event joined in the Mother's March on Washington that same day.
That was my biggest highlight of the year, though there were plent of other things going on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:00 pm
Edgar was doing stuff, I read about it. <frowns>

Uh, Roger..

oh, never mind.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:02 pm
littlek wrote:
I was born in 68

Littlek, couldn't you work that out into a personal theme song, kind of like Springsteen's Born in the USA.

My name is littlek and I was
Booooooooorn in 68
I was boooooooooorn in 68

Something like that.

Work on it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:06 pm
So, Roger, did the police inquire?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
You happen to be in Albuquerque next time I drop in on the dyslexias, you might hear it, lilttle k.

14 years, mms? Bad guess, kid.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:20 pm
I started highschool in '68. It was neat.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:50 pm
Just dug out my reference book and looked at the summer of '68, to see what was in the charts.

No. 1 Singles (US July and Aug).

This guys in love with you.........Herb Alpert.
Grazin' in the grass..................Hugh Masakela
Hello I love you........................Doors
People got to be free................Rascals

No. 1 Albums (US July and Aug)

Bookends........................Simon and Garfunkel
The beat of the Brass.......Herb Alpert
Wheels of Fire..................Cream

UK No.1's....same time.

Singles

Baby Come Back.............Equals
Mony Mony......................Tommy James and the Shandells
Help Yourself....................Tom Jones

Albums

Ogdens Nut Gone Flake......Small Faces
Bookends..........................Simon and Garfunkel
Delilah..............................Tom Jones

Groovy, weren't we?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:51 pm
I was in high school and had just got my drivers license.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 10:58 pm
No police involvement, which struck me as good news, indeed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:21 am
If you're old enough to remember 1968, then you're getting too old to remember 1968--or much of anything else for that matter.

I don't remember 1968, but I figured out that I was a year out of college and still too young to vote in the '68 election. I left my first job and moved on to my second. I barely recognize the names on the list of music hits. What was I listening to? Beats the hell out of me. Sorry. The old gray matter ain't what she used to be.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 1968 and the living was weird
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:27:20