Good Manners = Common Sense?

Chai

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:47 am
The thread about children in restaurants got me to thinking about this one....

Last night the company I work for had a dinner to honor people in this immediate area that have worked here 10 years or longer.

It was held at a very fancy restaurant, the type you have to submit a credit report to in order to get a reservation :wink:

Because of the cost, RSVP's were required.

Well, after first having to track down half the invitees to have to ask if they would be there, only 22 of the 30 people expected showed. 3 of the no shows were actually doctors.

I don't understand why people feel it's okay to, #1 have to be tracked down like a child and reminded they need to let us know they are coming and #2 Not showing up after committing to being there.

I know, I know, the obvious answer is.....They don't care. However we all know how time consuming and costly it can be to oranganize an event, and how little the host is asking from the guests to let it run more smoothly.

Anyway -

Here's my question to y'all.....

What is the Biggest peeve of yours as far as poor manners?

Perhaps seeing some right here in writing, amongst friends will make each of us see some we are guilty of, and make us more civilized members of society.

Manners aren't stuffy - they are guidelines to ensure each person gets a fair chance at having a satisfying time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,592 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:01 am
The thing which ends up annoying me the most has to do with the fact that I like to read in a couple of large book stores near my home. Generally, there are 4 to 8 chairs in a reading area, and people think nothing of sitting down and starting a loud, long, permanent conversation, either with someone present, or with someone on a cell phone. Yes, I know it's not the library, but it is a place created by the store for reading, and people are there using it.

One time, this woman started reading a book out loud to her daughter in the midst of a number of readers, including me. I usually keep my mouth shut in such situations, but in this case, I asked her if she intended to be reading aloud continuosly, and she apologized and left with her child.

This is one of my pet peeves. It seems to be related to to a lack of empathy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:09 am
I agree.
Lack of empathy is my biggest pet peeve.
Occupying a bus seat with your purse when it is full
rushing in front of someone with a kid, or an older person in a grocery store simply because they are not walking as fast as you are, causing them to have to stop and wait for you to pass them

Someone walking twords a door with their hands obviously full , and everyone sees.. yet noone offers to help.

People who blow thier nose at the dinner table- loudly- or cough up what ever is in their lungs while people eat..

people who leave their mess on the table at small restaurants where there is clearly a trash can for them to put thier things in.

People who throw their cigarette buts on the ground .. sometimes incehs away from a trash can.

hmm.. i have alot of annoyances.. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:38 am
Shewolfnm - your comment about the bus seat reminded me of a funny thing. Once when taking the commuter train home during rush hour and a particularly rainy day I came across such an incident. I manage to make my train by only a few minutes (seems rain slows us down or something). I finally find a seat (that is not occupied by a person or some sort of bag) at the end of the train. It is one of those seats where the one in front faces you so you seat knees to knees. The seat facing me is occupied by a woman and her bag.

Not too far behind me was another out of breath commuter. She spies the bag occupied seat and politely asks the woman if she can sit there. The woman moans and groans (no joke) and rudely picks up her bag and shoves it under her seat. I could not resist. I said something along the lines, I guess her bag needs to be comfortable. The woman who sat down then thanked and said I thought maybe I asked rudely or something. I replied no you were very polite. At that, the woman got up making all sorts of commotion and walked away. Then a minute later she comes back (forgot her umbrella) and makes some huffy noise, grabs it and leaves in a huff. I of course burst out laughing.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:52 pm
Good manners, common sense, pet peeves.......

Hmmm,

-- People who refuse to turn off their cell phones in restaurants. Why not enjoy a meal (and let those around you do the same) for an hour?

-- People who won't clean up after their dog has messed. Very inappropriate.

-- People who push in line ahead of you to check something out. Or, ask, just because they have one or two items, to go ahead of you. Have I not been waiting patiently myself?

-- People who suddenly change lanes in front of you while driving and don't signal. Dangerous.

I'll come back with more from time to time.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:04 pm
One person's good manners are another person's pushiness.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 08:16 pm
ehBeth wrote:

Example?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:03 pm
Reyn--

Some people feel that stating A Need entitles them to special consideration from you.

"You don't mind if I just cut in the line.....after all I only...."

Personally, unless I'm in a thundering hurry I offer people the chance to cut in front of me--and they are out-proportion pleased about being extended a little bit of thoughtfulness.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:04 pm
Reyn--

Some people feel that stating A Need entitles them to special consideration from you.

"You don't mind if I just cut in the line.....after all I only...."

Personally, unless I'm in a thundering hurry I offer people the chance to cut in front of me--and they are out-proportion pleased about being extended a little bit of thoughtfulness.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:03 pm
People who "craaack" their chewing gum. Drives me nuts!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:41 pm
People talking on their cell phone about what "It's all Bush's fault" while letting their dog **** on your sidewalk, then cough and spit up a big loogie and head for the bus stop, where their dog takes up a seat while licking his a--.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:43 pm
People who interrupt!
Loud commercials on TV....
And people who borrow from you all the time.....and don't return the item.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:06 am
Noddy, with your example:

If there was a good reason for someone to cut into line, I would probably say, go ahead, but if I've been waiting patiently myself for some period time, no way.

Some just like to take advantage and figure the world owes them.

It's like fighting for that parking space only steps away from a store's front door sillyness, in my opinion.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 12:07 am
englishmajor wrote:
And people who borrow from you all the time.....and don't return the item.

For some reason I have this image in my head of Bono....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:49 am
Cell-phone users in restaurants don't bother me too much. It's the ones who don't turn off their cellies in the theater or at a concert that drive me nuts. It's the height of rudeness to allow a performance to be interrupted by a sappy jingle suddenly coming out of nowehere. And, of course, it's so much worse if the culprit actually answers the call without taking it outside.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:15 am
ehBeth wrote:

I'm not sure at all what you mean.

Can you explain?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:48 am
Reyn/Noddy - you think asking first is bad manners, how about some one who just assumes and walks in front of a line? This happened to me.

Ahhh Christmas shoppingÂ….one of the best things about working in downtown Boston is the early morning sales - get into town early and do some morning Christmas shopping. Well, I was in line, not too bad considering the time of year - about 3rd in line and some bozos walks in front of the woman in front of me. She did not say a word. As I don't know when to shut up, I spoke up. I did say it nicely, "Excuse me, but the line ends behind me." He spoke up, but I only have a couple of items and need to get to work. Duh bozo what about the rest of us here. I just looked at him holding my one item and said - It's not any different for the rest of us. He ended up leaving.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:11 am
Agreed. That's outrageous to "assume". I also wouldn't have hesitated to bring it to the cashier's attention.

I absolutely hate Christmas shopping. The crowds drive me nuts. My wife nad I aren't big on it and only buy for immediate family.

To us, birthdays and our wedding anniversary are more important. Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:18 pm
I'm glad this thread is here, Chai. I'm still steaming about a school concert I attended tonight.

It was the first concert of the year. All music groups were participating including 4 different choral groups, two bands, and the orchestra. It was a packed auditorium. Three high school girls were sitting a few rows behind Mr B and I and couldn't seem to keep quiet for more than 20 seconds at a time. They yacked, yacked, yacked through the first four performances. The man in front of them asked them three different times to be quiet, but they couldn't. They finally left.

The couple directly behind me weren't quite as loud, but were equally obnoxious. Their daughter plays in the orchestra with my daughter and throughout the choral and band performances they were carrying on a lively discussion. I gave them a few pleading looks and they would stop for a few seconds before starting up again. During the orchestra performance Mrs Chatty left to get a better position to video her darling daughter. She returned a few minutes later during the next choral/orchestra piece and started telling Mr Chatty about the shots she was able to get. I spun around, gave her 'the look' that my children know all too well, and said, "PLEASE!" a little too loudly. WTF? What is it with people who feel they can go to a performance and ruin it for the people around them? It was bad enough coming from the kids, but the adults put me over the edge.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:19 pm
Yes, I think this is a good thread for a few reasons.

1. Hopefully someone out there will see themselves in some of the annoying scenerios, and didn't realize how they were coming across to others.

2. I find it interesting seeing the different tolerance levels of others, as far as what they find offensive.

I'm wondering if it's a generational thing?

for instance, the cell phone thing....I would never use one in a restaurant. If I have to make or take a call when others are around and I can't leave the area, I lower my head and speaking as softly as possible. Part of it is the fact I don't feel the rest of the room needs to be privy to my conversation.
Turning that around, I really don't want to hear what others have to say. Even at home when I make a call, I go into another room so as not to disturb anyone.

OH!!!!! Here's a pet peeved for me......

When you're talking to someone on the phone, and they've got their TV, radio whatever just blasting away.

When you talking on the phone, TURN OFF the TV!!!

It just sounds SO trailer trashy, like you can't decide if I'm important enough to devote your attention to....

I feel the same way about call waiting.

You're on the phone talking to someone, and all of a sudden someone else is more important than you, and you have the privilege of waiting until they are finished talking to someone apparantly more interesting, and they can finally come back to you.

That is what a busy signal is for.....you are letting someone know that you are occupied with someone else.

You the caller, can call back later, and you will be given the same courtesy of no interuptions.

I guess it does come down to the golden rule.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Good Manners = Common Sense?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:58:50