Jane Eyre and Charlotte Bronte

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 12:39 pm
anyone a fan of Bronte esp J. Eyre? I have to compare Bronte with Joyce (Portrait of an Artist) supporting argument that they are both bildungsroman -think I spelled that right! -aside from that, do you think Jane ever became less passionate as she grew older? Do you think the book is more about passion/reason, or overcoming class?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 682 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 12:48 pm
Does Jane maintain her passion? I think it grows.

I encourage you to read the following:

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (yes, Fforde)

Have to admit I've never read Portrait of an Artist, but Jane Eyre obviously goes through her life from early childhood on.....

The Eyre Affair is very witty, and continues the journey.
0 Replies

Prince El

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 02:44 am
whack i was just thinking of posting a thread on Jane Eyre.
well, i don't have to say anything pertinent to your question but man, what a book.
i loved it.
know what, the first half took me seven days and the second half took just seven days....
0 Replies

Tigs

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:08 pm
:wink: Jane Eyre. My favourite all time novel - well alongside Mansfield Park and Pride and Pred. I was made to read it for A level and never looked back. The Brontes write with a passion that beliles their humble status in life. They all grew in passion as they became older. Eyre is a commentry on the position of single poorer women in society as well as a rich embroiled love story. Eyre has to combat attempts on her affections from good and potentially 'reasonable' catches before reclaiming her real beloved. Rochester is also trapped of course the shame of divorce could not be bourne and this is worth noting.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 08:20 pm
ahhh...yes, jane austen is another favorite of mine as well. Bronte and Austen's portrayal of those particular eras as far as women's place in society is priceless. Even though they were not contemporary (too bad - can you imagine what they could have written had they collaborated?) the dependence that women had to suffer through in the 18th and 19th century was so appalling. It was like being sold to the highest bidder on the auction block. I find Austen to have a better sense of humour (Emma), but considering the life that the Bronte sisters led, it's not surprising that they wrote rather depressing novels! Wonderful stuff, tho, Gothic, poignant, romantic without being too sappy.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 09:57 pm
Re: Jane Eyre - would any of you have left, do you think, as Jane did, when she discovered Rochester was married? Or would you have stayed and become his mistress? I wonder if this would have lessened his love for Jane later on, if she had?
0 Replies