A study discussion on books...

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 04:52 pm
I'm reading this book called "Dream of the Red Chamber" by tsao Hsueh-Chin. Personally I find this story to be complicated. I'm not sure how others feel about this book if they have read it or not. I mean after reading it for it a bit I have an idea of what it's about... still I'm having a difficult time grasping the overall concept.

I was just wondering if we're reading a book that's required for study (not our personal interest) what ways can we effectively have an understanding for the overall story? For instance if we're suppose to read up to a certain point and have a discussion the next day in tutorial for it how can we prepare ourselves better?

When I'm reading through each chapter (or all of what I'm reading) what are the most important aspects of the story that I should keep in mind so that I can be better prepared for the discussion? For instance I know I've been told to ask myself questions such as where the story is set? Who are the main characters of the story? etc. Still... I just feel that I'm missing something. I just need the general idea to approach this, appreciate it, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 714 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 06:49 pm
Character, setting and plot are all important aspects of any story, Abell. But there are at least two other things to look for -- (1)what is the author saying, i.e. what point, if any, is the author trying to make? and (2) the style and tone of the prose (or poetry). This second consideration, of course, is less easy if the book is a translation from another language. A lot gets lost in the translation, as they say.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:27 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Character, setting and plot are all important aspects of any story, Abell. But there are at least two other things to look for -- (1)what is the author saying, i.e. what point, if any, is the author trying to make? and (2) the style and tone of the prose (or poetry). This second consideration, of course, is less easy if the book is a translation from another language. A lot gets lost in the translation, as they say.

Thank you, how about the other aspects e.g. symbolism? I was just wondering what other similar aspects are there from the example I gave? Thanks again.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:36 pm
I guess I'm talking to myself now... anyways here goes another good one is based on themes... that's a good one something I wasn't particularly prepared for...
0 Replies