Justice gone awry during Katrina

Reyn

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:47 pm
This is downright moronic!

The devasted areas have huge problems. People were shooting at each other. Dead bodies here and there....and police were bothered about a so-called "sausage looting"?

There needs to be a sense of perspective here!

A sausage - looted or not - lands elderly church leader in prison
at 15:38 on September 15, 2005, EST.
KEVIN MCGILL AND JOHN SOLOMON

KENNER, La. (AP) - Merlene Maten undoubtedly stands out in the prison where she has been held since hurricane Katrina. The 73-year-old church deaconess, never before in trouble with the law, now sleeps among hardened criminals. Her bail is $50,000.

Her offence?

Police say the grandmother from New Orleans took $63.50 in goods from a looted deli the day after Katrina struck.

Family and eyewitnesses have a different story. They say Maten is an innocent woman who had gone to her car to get some sausage from a cooler but was wrongly handcuffed by tired, frustrated officers who couldn't catch younger looters at a nearby store.

Not even the deli owner wants her charged.

"There were people looting, but she wasn't one of them. Instead of chasing after people who were running, they grabbed the old lady was who walking," said Elois Short, Maten's daughter, who works in traffic enforcement for neighbouring New Orleans police.......

Complete story here.[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 350 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 05:29 am
As the saying says..."Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." Of course I can't for the life of me figure out what exactly they believe her crime to be. Just what did she take? Was the sausage valued at $63.50? Talk about inflation! Then there is the thing that I heard numerous times where it was said if only food was taken the person would not be arrested or prosecuted. A lot of vagueness in this matter and beyond a disgrace that the officials felt it was okay to arrest her while other people carted off television sets and other appliances without receiving a second glance.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Justice gone awry during Katrina
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:26:05