B.C. golf club bars women from men's lounge

Reyn

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 09:30 pm
I think this is a silly argument that the men's lounge is a private facility, and allow women to join the club to use the rest of the areas.

Time to get with the program!

B.C. golf club barring women from men's lounge is private facility: lawyer
at 20:23 on September 15, 2005, EST.
CAMILLE BAINS

VANCOUVER (CP) - A lawyer arguing against a human rights decision that would allow women into the men's lounge of a golf club said on Thursday that the facility is private and therefore should be exempt from such legislation.

George Macintosh said only members, their immediate family and guests are allowed into the club, not the general public. "A person cannot walk into that club off the street, just cannot," Macintosh said of the exclusive Marine Drive Golf Club.

"The lounge is no more available to the public than a bar in somebody's house," he told Justice Mary Ellen Boyd.

Thirty-six women filed a human rights complaint in September 2004, alleging that six men and the club discriminated against women by denying them access to the men's-only lounge.......

Complete story here.[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 10
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 01:11 pm
Not my business as a non-Canadian, however, I would agree that a Private Club should be exempt.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 01:50 pm
Fine. As long as they have a lounge for women only.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 01:50 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Fine. As long as they have a lounge for women only.

But it's a PRIVATE CLUB. Why do they HAVE TO?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 02:17 pm
If they allow women golfers who pay, they have to. Or lose the business of one of the fastest growing womens sport.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 02:31 pm
woiyo wrote:
But it's a PRIVATE CLUB. Why do they HAVE TO?

because it's in Canada. That's how the laws work here.

They tried "private clubs" to get around no-smoking in restaurant laws. Didn't work.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 03:16 pm
This is what this reminds me of:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0394873319.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

They are like little boys.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 05:37 pm
woiyo wrote:
Not my business as a non-Canadian, however, I would agree that a Private Club should be exempt.

It's all fine and well to say that it's a private club, but it isn't really. After all, women are "allowed" to play golf there. If they are going to do so (and they should), then the other facilities should not be restricted by sex.

Now, this other case that the article touches on (Ladies Only fitness), I'm keeping a close eye on. I'm interested to see how that works out.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 05:39 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
If they allow women golfers who pay, they have to. Or lose the business of one of the fastest growing womens sport.

Yes, indeed! Golf is really getting big on the women's circuit. Good on them!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
Reyn wrote:

Now, this other case that the article touches on (Ladies Only fitness), I'm keeping a close eye on. I'm interested to see how that works out.

don't strain your eyesight :wink:

Very Happy
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 08:09 pm
Me and my freinds call the garage "Men's Town". NO WOMEN ALLOWED IN MEN'S TOWN. Thats the first rule.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » B.C. golf club bars women from men's lounge
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:45:44