What would you do with $250 million?

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:19 am
Now that megamillions (which is played here in VA) is up to $250 million, I have often wondered, what would one do with all that? so I ask A2Kers, what would you do with $250 million? would you spend it immediately-on what? would you help out family? would you help out friends? would you donate to charity? what would you do?

ps-this is for just for fun because chances of winning are 1 in 176 million.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,567 • Replies: 61
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:20 am
get my teeth capped and then disapear.....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:26 am
Well, out of that I'd really only end up with about 125 million after federal and state taxes.

I'd buy a comfortable house, nothing fancy, furnish / decorate it.

I'd give some to my Mom and Dad.

I'd put some in the kids college accounts.

I'd put enough in savings for retirement.

I'd give minimum 10% to charity.

I'd finish my degree.

I'd open a home for abused women and one for troubled teens.

That should finish it all of nicely.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:35 am
Don't know everything I would do with that amount of money, but I almost look at it as having a huge amount of responsibility. There is so much good (or bad) you could do with that money.

I think initially, I would take half and give it away. Honestly even after taxes - do I really need that much money?! Of that half I would give about another half to family - parents, brothers and sisters. Then the remaining half I would give to various charities. Because I value education highly, I would set up a scholarship fund where any family members and close friends could send their children to college - perhaps set up some sort of parameters of grades (not too strict - just to prevent some one from not studying).

After that I would buy a nice new home, set aside money in an account where you basically live on its earnings so no worries for the future. I would quit my job so I can be home with my children. And I cannot stay still and love to help out, I would volunteer helping children and/or animals or even start my own charity organization.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:38 am
you guys sure make my capped teeth look like a bugger......
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:39 am
Linkat wrote:
I would volunteer helping children and/or animals or even start my own charity organization.

hmm, this made me think of something. one could buy a farm (like 20 acres or something) and then host all of the animals from katrina!!! i like that idea-WTG linkat!!!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:40 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
you guys sure make my capped teeth look like a bugger......

those are some expensive teeth if that's the only thing you could afford... :wink:
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:42 am
$250 million...

1) Charity
2) Family
3) Friends
4) House
5) Bank (Savings)
6) A nice little shopping Spree (new wardrobe and stuff)
7) New Car
8) Quit Job
9) Maybe adopt a child in need or something along that lines.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:43 am
I've got this beat up old van in the back that could really use a new set of tires.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:01 am
Take off 5 mill immediatly and give one mill to all four of my aunts and then one to my uncle and his wife. One mill to my cousin and his wife and one mill to my mother and mother in law ..so actually that is 7 mil right off the top.

What is left I put in savings accounts for one year.
the amount of money I make off of interest alone is my yearly income for the rest of my life.
From that I would -

buy a house
by a car
pay off the car I have and store it for Jillian
set up an operative checking account for all of the interest to go into so i dont have to keep track of ****..

then spend the rest of mylife fat and happy where ever i damn well please.
Very Happy
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:03 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Take off 5 mill immediatly and give one mill to all four of my aunts and then one to my uncle and his wife. One mill to my cousin and his wife and one mill to my mother and mother in law ..so actually that is 7 mil right off the top.

What is left I put in savings accounts for one year.
the amount of money I make off of interest alone is my yearly income for the rest of my life.
From that I would -

buy a house
by a car
pay off the car I have and store it for Jillian
set up an operative checking account for all of the interest to go into so i dont have to keep track of ****..

then spend the rest of mylife fat and happy where ever i damn well please.
Very Happy

might i sugget a money market account instead of savings? they tend to have slightly higher interest rates. or even municipal bonds that offer tax free income at higher rates than money market accounts? Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:05 am
You guys have shamed me with your altruisitc uses of this money so I have decided to give every penny of it to finance the establishment of democracy in Iraq.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:09 am
LOL
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:13 am
I'd change it all into pennies, and have the world's largest penny collection!

Wouldn't that be neat!

Then I could have a world's largest penny collection museum, and charge everybody a dollar at the door, and make a huge profit. Then I'd be rich!

Oh boy, oh boy, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:15 am
dragon49 wrote:
spend the rest of mylife fat and happy where ever i damn well please.
Very Happy

might i sugget a money market account instead of savings? they tend to have slightly higher interest rates. or even municipal bonds that offer tax free income at higher rates than money market accounts? Laughing[/quote]

oh yeah,
and if i win, sweetie.. your flyin places with me! Very Happy

Embarrassed i have actually thougt about this before and i think i would be wanting to fly people from a2k out to have a ' national gathering'
am i a dork or what? Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:19 am
Gargamel wrote:
I'd change it all into pennies, and have the world's largest penny collection!

Wouldn't that be neat!

Then I could have a world's largest penny collection museum, and charge everybody a dollar at the door, and make a huge profit. Then I'd be rich!

Oh boy, oh boy, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then you could afford to pay someone to pop your pimples!
or shave your butt..
or pick your nose

you would be living LARGE man.... :wink:
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:28 am
Gus if I win - I will get you new tires.

ING pays even higher than a money market account, but I would suggest working with a CPA, lawyer or financial planner. They will put you in stuff like tax exempt funds - safe investments, but you pay little or no taxes on the income or else they will know other investments that have little risk better return and help shelter your tax payments. Just in case you do win.

How about getting it all in cash - fill up a pool and swim in it naked!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:36 am
Shocked The possibilites are infinite.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:44 am
Whack it into the same account as my other $250 mill.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:46 am
shewolfnm wrote:
oh yeah,
and if i win, sweetie.. your flyin places with me! Very Happy

i think i would buy a jet to fly to and fro austin whenever i felt like it - i already have the pilot (one of mr. d's good friends is a pilot). you feel free to join us whenever you like!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What would you do with $250 million?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 08:27:40