When will Mandarin become the world's most international lan

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:03 pm
why would Roger want to do that?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:24 pm
This is it, huh? And what does that do to your thesis?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:24 pm
Please don't taunt our new friend. He is obviously coming to terms with his sexual desire for men, as evidenced by his constant remarks about butt-killing, coupled with his gay language.

Anyone should have old him small penises are occurring with the gay Mandarins. Now, he is our base.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:27 pm
OIC. That's why he's learning gay English?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:29 pm
Even Inspector Clouseau would have nailed him.

(Oh. Another important gay reference. Not that there's anything wrong with him being gay....)
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 09:59 pm
I suppose we shouldnt upset him ...he might eat us! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:54 am
What is happening here, is that he is missing the point entirely, regarding the intentions of his Country.

The Chinese leaders (I have already stated this on another recent thread of his) are going hell for leather at getting their population to learn English.

If the world thinks that China is flooding the markets now....you wait and see what they will be doing in ten years, when their young businessmen and women are fluent in English.

We are already witnessing a gradual opening of their borders, and every day, China's population is being exposed to western culture, to levels that would have been unthinkable just ten years ago.

This obviously has inherent risk for the Chinese government, as millions of their young are now able to access the world, and its ideals of freedom, through the internet.

My teacher friend, just back from teaching English in China, had MASSIVE problems with sending emails to us, and posting on forums etc.

Sometimes, it would take four days for one of her emails to arrive, and when she viewed them on her return to the UK, half of what she wrote had been censored, or changed into several totally illogical sentences.

She had two "spies" in amongst her pupils, who completed a report on her everyday teachings, and marking her with "points" for everything they learned during a working day. One of these "spies" wasnt very good, as he/she made his/herself known to my friend early on, and told her to watch her back...constantly. She was warned about keywords NOT to be used in outgoing emails, as there are apparently thousands of Government internet monitors, checking virtually every word that is sent from China.

To show just how worried the Chinese Government is about this new found freedom of expression, the main keyword that is looked for, is FREEDOM. Any communication that contains this word, will be held somewhere in the ether, and read very carefully, before a decision is made whether to censor and send, or delete it altogether.

My prediction is that China's young, in thirty or so years from now, will be very similar to the young people of the western world. MacDonalds, Coke, KFC, designer gear and a desire to own a big house and a car.

Shame, really.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 01:12 am
Yes, but he is Taiwanese, and native taiwanese, which I appreciate. I can also make a jump to being someone who feels bullied by some need to learn english.

And I agree with ehBeth, that language is mutable.

I am interested in this discussion, except that pshuang's views - may be, or may be not useful - seem to gather clearly wrong data post by post, which makes his argument seem stupid.

He should be more careful, many of his darts are flails in the air, dead wrong, with lots of independent sites to back that up -

but his general argument is interesting. Too bad he is so sloppy about it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 01:46 am
ossobuco wrote:
Yes, but he is Taiwanese, and native taiwanese, which I appreciate. I can also make a jump to being someone who feels bullied by some need to learn english.

And I agree with ehBeth, that language is mutable.

I am interested in this discussion, except that pshuang's views - may be, or may be not useful - seem to gather clearly wrong data post by post, which makes his argument seem stupid.

He should be more careful, many of his darts are flails in the air, dead wrong, with lots of independent sites to back that up -

but his general argument is interesting. Too bad he is so sloppy about it.

Osso, I think that, since the advent of the home computer, English is now fixed as the common language. I can understand that people who speak another language may feel a lot of resentment, having to learn English, but the modern world is geared that way.
Personally, I would have preferred the common language to be something else, as I (about the laziest student there is) would have been forced to learn a second tongue.
As things stand at present, there are millions and millions of people around the world who are basically bilingual, and have a distinct advantage over me.

I must resume those night classes one day............

Taiwanese eh? Having read his posts, and seen the frequent seemingly disparaging remarks towards gays an jews etc., I would have placed him as originating from somewhere else altogether....and from another era.
That's just my opinion, of course.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:15 am
ps2huang wrote:
講中文啦 死老外

别粗鲁。
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:41 am
Quote:
Now, he is our base.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:51 am
ehBeth wrote:
ps2huang is on to something. It's just unlikely that it will happen in my, or his/her lifetimes.

English hasn't always been the dominant language, and it's unlikely it always will be.

Yeppers.

I hope we do not get taken over by folk who consider gay a term of abuse and want to butt kill everyone, though.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:13 am
ps2huang wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
ps2huang wrote:

Because MicroSoft was invented by American, so English, since '95, became so populart until the very moment. If China invents something that is strongly vital to the world, Mandarin will be the first priority.

English had become the most commonly spoken language in the world long before 1995. 1945 would be closer to the truth, when, following World War II, English-speaking military personnel were deployed in all parts of the world.

Oh, becuase US, which is the core of speaking English, stopped the WWII, so that English, all in a sudden, bacame the most puplar language?
I really don't think so. If there was no computers, no English of dominace.

Whether you believe it or not, I was stating a historical fact, not a personal opinion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:35 pm
He said he's taiwanese. Who knows. He or she certainly harbors many biases.
0 Replies

ps2huang

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:37 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
ps2huang wrote:
講中文啦 死老外

别粗鲁。

說真的,我看不懂他們在說什麼
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:01 pm
What did he say about Jesus?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:12 pm
something about him speaking Mandarin
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:30 pm
ps2huang wrote:

" I know Jewish are smart among Caucasian ethnic, but they just look retarded and their thinking logics are quite weird. And I don't like Middle-Easterns after all.

Are you a Nazi or a Skin-Head? I sometimes confuse the two.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:42 pm
ps2huang wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
ps2huang wrote:
講中文啦 死老外

别粗鲁。

說真的,我看不懂他們在說什麼

您真正地是贞女吗?
0 Replies

ps2huang