Martin: Crude oil prices will drop, gas prices must follow

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:03 am
Well, I suppose Martin's trying to do something, but why couldn't it have been long ago? It's not like this is the first time gas prices have skyrocketed. I hope it's not just "window dressing".

Paul Martin says crude oil prices will drop, gasoline prices must follow
at 19:41 on September 10, 2005, EST.
LES PERREAUX

TROIS-RIVIERES, Que. (CP) - Prime Minister Paul Martin put petroleum companies on notice Saturday, saying he will make sure the price of gasoline keeps pace as the cost of crude oil drops in the weeks ahead.

"The first thing we have to do is to make sure that in fact as oil prices come down, which I believe they are going to do, that it is immediately reflected in prices at the pump," Martin said at a meeting of young Quebec Liberals.

Martin did not say how he will make sure retailers drop gasoline prices as quickly as they rose but the federal cabinet is crafting a plan, according to Jacques Saada, the regional economic development minister for Quebec.

"The impact of the fluctuation of gas prices is considerable on our economy," Saada said. "It's our duty as a federal government to see what we can do."

It's a common complaint among consumers that the price of gasoline skyrockets immediately when crude oil spikes, but it takes much longer for the price to come back down when the price of crude falls.......

Complete story here.[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 423 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:06 am
There's a dream right there. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 12:55 pm
Yeah, it sounds a bit vague.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:37 pm
Gas and oil always become more expensive in the winter, which is not so far away.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:53 pm
There should be a relationship between gasoline and crude, though they may not vary in direct proportion. Beware of price fixing schemes, Reyn. We have proven they don't work.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:55 pm
keeping prices high, no matter what excuses used, help extend the outrageous profits that the majors are reaping right now.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 03:03 pm
farmerman wrote:
keeping prices high, no matter what excuses used, help extend the outrageous profits that the majors are reaping right now.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

I understand what the previous posts are saying, but why do I keep getting this "rip-off" feeling no matter what time of the year it is, and no matter what is happening in the world?

It seems like the Katrina disaster comes like a godsend to the oil companies wherein they can hide behind excuses to keep jacking things up.

I knew we would be in trouble last year when OPEC was threatening, and then made good on it, to cut back on oil production. It just all seems so "artificial" and "controlling".

As much as those of us (myself included) who heat their homes with natural gas will feel it in the pocketbook, I think it's better than heating with oil.

Ironically, those who heat with electricity may feel slightly more smug right now, as prices for that are currently much more stable.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Martin: Crude oil prices will drop, gas prices must follow
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:25:07