Charles Dickens

benacre

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:00 pm
The books by Charles Dickens are very dark & have a moral to the tail. The funny names of his characters & his english language can be most interesting. Was some of his work semi biographical & fact. Was he a latter day Pepy's. How do modern readers percieve his works & how do they compare in modern times?
Ben.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 619 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:30 pm
When Dickens' was a child, his family fell on hard economic times and he was forced to go to work in a menial, industrial job. This traumatic event is reflected in many of his works, such as Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, and Nicholas Nickleby.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:43 pm
more homework ben?
0 Replies

benacre

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:21 pm
No. just trying to encourage conversation on books.
0 Replies

macaroni

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:16 pm
Have any of you read Great Expectations?
We have to read it in our literature classes. It's very long indeed but through all the essays and work, you realize that charles dickens really worked hard on his books. I mean he uses so much symolism, his language is always unique throughout the very long book. And you should see the way he links things. Everything from a pig for dinner, has been mentioned before in the book even if he wrote it in pieces for a newspaper. I mean my book is covered in scribbles linking stuff in the book. it's really amazing how he does it.
0 Replies