Is it weird an adult buying toys for homself?

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:14 am
I am still obsessed in those collectibles. I love buying action figures--but, I am 21 yrs old already. Do you think seeing an adult shopping at a Toy Store for choosing toys for his interest is ridiculous?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,789 • Replies: 35
No top replies

MinDSaY

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:41 am
That in my view is not ridiculous. I'm 20 and I still play with lego bits building big towers and crap like that. Razz Don't really want to grow up in a way.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:08 am
i'm a gadget whore

2 mp3 players, a sony psp, sony playstation, x-box, a ps2, and i'm thinking of buying the new gameboy micro

so not really toys but close

and sad to say, but i'm 42, 43 in about three months
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:04 am
I collect Barbies.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:09 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I collect Barbies.

Me, too. Then I make little nooses for them and hang them from the ceiling.

To answer the question, though...

21 is not too old. They say in grad school you regress several years, which might be the case, but me and my roommate had a few action figures in the house. My roommate was 33 and he bought a Yoda doll from Target, and the cashier looked at him like he was crazy.

You won't really have to worry about it until you move in with your girlfriend. Then you'll have to have a special room for all your ****.

My mom saved my old toys from childhood, so I can give them to my kids. I secretly want to grab some of them. Micromachines were the coolest. And I have some action figures from the first Batman movie. Sweet. If only I had saved all my He-Man ****.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:12 am
You know, come to think about it, I think still having toys demonstrates that you have kept a good portion of your imagination.

Odds are the people who would criticize it spend as much time watching E! or reality TV as you do with your toys.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:21 am
Gargamel wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
I collect Barbies.

Me, too. Then I make little nooses for them and hang them from the ceiling.

To answer the question, though...

21 is not too old. They say in grad school you regress several years, which might be the case, but me and my roommate had a few action figures in the house. My roommate was 33 and he bought a Yoda doll from Target, and the cashier looked at him like he was crazy.

You won't really have to worry about it until you move in with your girlfriend. Then you'll have to have a special room for all your ****.

My mom saved my old toys from childhood, so I can give them to my kids. I secretly want to grab some of them. Micromachines were the coolest. And I have some action figures from the first Batman movie. Sweet. If only I had saved all my He-Man ****.

Every man needs a room just for himself.

My wolverine has one. He has "GUNSLINGER" printed across the door, and I don't know or care what-all goes on in there.

Sometimes I hear loud explosions from some DVD, sometimes hammering.

Sometimes I hear him yelling "@*%^)@#!!&(%^#!!"

That's when I know he's having a really good time.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:28 pm
Chai, I don't know where you live, but I wish you lived near me. We could be great friends.

And so could our fellas.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:34 pm
Nothing at all strange about it. I have thousands upon thousands of Lego building blocks and Matchbox cars. If it keeps you happy don't worry about it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 01:36 pm
Austin Tx.

He'll be going up to Sourthern Illinois in October for a couple weeks so he can, in his words, "shoot things" with his brother in law Roy.

lord, it does a heart good to see 'em having fun.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:33 pm
Yes. Especially from a distance!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
the mister has action figures, tons of guitars, drums, shakers, keyboards, amps, speakers, midi- sound thinggies...board games, comics..

>sigh<

I have
1) howdy doody doll.. original
1 cabbage patch also original
a few toys that run on batteries..
oh wait.. hehe..
wrong thread. Embarrassed
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:14 pm
Rolling Eyes

i figured you probably read it as, is it okay to buy adult toys Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:48 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

I have
1) howdy doody doll.. original

Shocked Hey, that could be worth some serious cash these days! How old is it?

Look anything like this?:

http://toymakerofwilliamsburg.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/thumb/843-629.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 06:51 pm
i have had it appraised.
it is in a safe box in the bank.
;-)
It was my mothers.
She got it as a christmas gift and it scared her. She never opened it. But kept it because she didnt want to offend her aunt.
By the time she was 23? 24? there was a demand for them...so she kept it stored away.
Then, when I had bean , she gave it to me as ' insurance' Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:53 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
She never opened it.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
<Reyn drools>
The box has never been opened? Omigawd!

Hey, I watch the antique shows and I know what that means.

Old, mint condition, in box never opened, etc, etc.

Would it be crass of me to ask what it was appraised at?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:17 am
it is in the 5 digit range. ;-)

but, all appraisals are changed every 6 months as the demand raises, or falls.
What i could get for it right this second, could change dramatically tomorrow, or triple next year or become less then what i pay for the safe box in 3 months.
So it isnt very -stable- but doubtful that it will ever be worthless.. simply because there are not many out there. I think something like.. 30? 40? have been recorded and insured in the condition that I have one in.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:23 am
The real question is would you ever part with it or has it now achieved too great a sentimental attachment for you?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:30 am
I dont care much for it.
it is an ugly doll
i hold on to it for insurance.
If anything were to happen to me, hubby, or Bean, we have a good semi-secure way to get finances and fast if necessary
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:41 am
A thing is worth what it is worth NOW!.Any other idea is a bet.A speculation.A blind guess.

I would sell it.I would put the money to a use which doesn't involve the expense of storing it,insuring it and periodically having it valued.You have an asset costing you money.That's ridiculous.If you can keep your hands off the money it is a much better way to "get finances and fast" than a doll in a bank safe.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is it weird an adult buying toys for homself?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 07:36:30