alesix

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:13 am
I am in the process of starting a new company selling some patent products I have developed.
I am looking to import parts from china and I have never done that before, so I am not sure of what to do. They ask me to bank by TT am LC and shipping always seems to fob china somewhere or CNF. I do not know what these terms mean and can not find them other than fob. Because i live in so cal i know the port would be Los Angeles or maybe Long Beach. Once the parts arrive in the port what to I have to do to clear customs and get the merchandise. If there are import companies or agents that handle all the logistics, what can i expect to pay for their services and is there one recommended?

One company says min order is a 40 foot contyainer, that seems to be a lot i figure my order would be about 10 boxes 2ft x 2ft and about 10 inches tall.

can anyone help me figure this out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,871 • Replies: 3
No top replies

markmok

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:40 am
Hi! I have a sourcing company and maybe I can help you in factory sourcing, price negotiation, export arrangement and logistics.

At least I believe, you can buy goods in quantity you desired. The difference is mainly the price, not the quantity. And, besides FOB and CNF, you can choose many others like DDT or DDU depends on your requirements.

If you have any question, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. You can also find some more details in my website Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

Sincerely Yours,

Mark Mok
0 Replies

JamesF

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 05:54 pm
Hi Alesix,
I was interested in your posting, but I dont want to break forum rules by making a commercial posting.

Start at the beginning. You can pay for goods at different stages of delivery. If you take them straight from the factory, it is one price, if you take charge at the local port, its another price, and if you take charge at your delivery port, it is a different price. The more work that is done for you, the more you pay. There are many differernt stages you can take. In China for example, the most common is FOB. Here is a list of the common ones that we use:

Group E - Departure:
EXW. Ex Works (named place)

Group F - Main Carriage Unpaid:
FCA. Free Carrier (named place)
FAS. Free Alongside Ship (named loading port)
FOB. Free On Board (named loading port)

Group C - Main Carriage Paid:
CFR. Cost and Freight (named destination port)
CIF. Cost, Insurance and Freight (named destination port)
CPT. Carriage Paid To (named destination port)
CIP. Carriage and Insurance Paid to (named destination port)

Group D - Arrival:
DAF. Delivered At Frontier (named place)
DES. Delivered Ex Ship (named port)
DEQ. Delivered Ex Quay (named port)
DDU. Delivered Duty Unpaid (named destination place)
DDP. Delivered Duty Paid (named destination place)

The definitions are readily available on the internet. I dont think that Im allowed to leave you a link, but if you search for "incoterms", you will be able to find some good definitions.

If you are importing from China, chances are that your delivery will go from Shanghai to Long Beach. Clearing customs is a relatively straight forward process, but it can be subject to delay - and you will have to pay for the storage costs whilst it is waiting to be cleared.

Feel free to contact me directly. I am based in Long Beach and would be happy to meet up if appropriate. contact me on [email protected]. I have a wealth of information that I could pass on.
0 Replies

moody003

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 12:41 am
@alesix,
I am helping my clients for sourcing and purchasing in commission 3-8%,it depends on the goods!some goods higher,some goods lower!
Some products need specailly requirments,may charge more higher!
0 Replies