Naming the band - when?

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:25 am
When did groups of musicians start to give themselves a name? I just read that the name The Beatles was inspired by Buddy Holly's band The Crickets.
When did bands start doing this? I don't think medieval minstrels called themselves The Hunchbacks or anything. Victorian era? Vaudeville? Jug Bands? anyone know who started the trend? Who was called what first?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 621 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:54 am
I would guess it started when making music changed from a diversion into a business, so musicians needed brandnames to succeed on the market. I'd think this happened after Friedrich Händel (1685-1759), who was the first successful businessman-musician.

Do descriptive names such as "New York Philharmonic" and "Liederkranz München" count for you? The oldest "bands" of this kind that I know of were established in the early 19th century.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:13 pm
heard about the New York Philharmonic
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:44 pm
I was thinking more in terms of cute or catchy names like Uncle Joe and the Kickers (I think that was the name of a jug band at the turn of the century) or more recently The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, Nirvana etc.
0 Replies