German woman torches house trying to kill spiders

Reyn

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:36 pm
German woman torches house trying to kill spiders

Thu Sep 1, 2005 5:38 PM BST

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German woman laid waste to her family home by setting fire to it as she tried to kill spiders in a garage with a can of hairspray and a cigarette lighter.

Police in the western town of Zuelpich said that when the aerosol failed to finish them off, the 34-year-old woman tried to burn them with the lighter. However, this set the area she had just sprayed on fire and the blaze spread to a hedge.

"It was a series of unfortunate events which led to the damage," a police spokesman said on Thursday.

"She tried to put the fire out with a garden hose, but couldn't. Instead her semi-detached house next to the hedge caught fire. It's now uninhabitable."

Fire-fighters managed to extinguish the blaze and save the neighbouring house, which sustained broken windows and some charring. The spokesman estimated the total cost of the damage at well over 100,000 euros (68,000 pounds). No one was hurt.

"The family have had to look for somewhere else to stay," he said. "The spiders are gone though -- that problem was solved."

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 941 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
Stupid, stupid, stupid . . . the spiders would have kept her home free of insects. The children of Arachne are solitary by nature. If one sees many, then an egg sack has recently opened. The few females which survive will attend to any excess arachnids, and go on about the business of removing insects.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:02 pm
Such desperate measures--what was she thinking?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:00 pm
Maybe they were black widows. Contrary to popular reassurances, they are not more afraid of you than you are of them. In fact, fire is about the only thing they are afraid of.

Go Lady Go.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:24 pm
Are they prevelant in Dutch-land?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:24 pm
Probably she was a secret worshipper of Athena and trying to eliminate vainglorious weavers.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:27 pm
Maybeso. Unanswered, of course, is the real question. Did she get rid of the spider?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:40 pm
That was answered . . .

Reuters wrote:
"The family have had to look for somewhere else to stay," he [a police spokesman] said. "The spiders are gone though -- that problem was solved."
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:05 pm
Some hate spiders, while they are good omen for me. Sad
(I never kill spiders, although I often break cobwebs.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:29 pm
Hehe, there was "Frau Saubermann" working. I don't
think there are any black widow spiders in Germany.

I'm not too fond of spiders either but won't torch them -
the vacuum cleaner does the trick as well.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:57 am
If she would have had some quick drying spray on glue, it would have did the trick
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 03:20 pm
What a great story this was, eh?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » German woman torches house trying to kill spiders
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 06:38:43