What is difference between me sentences? Th.

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2024 01:31 pm
We saw the thief climb over the fence.
We saw the thief climbimg over the fence.

What is difference between me sentences?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 201 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2024 07:10 pm
@tanguatlay,
Could somebody please help? Thanks!
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2024 07:17 pm
@tanguatlay,
Once again, you're overthinking these questions. Like many of your previous threads? There's no real difference between the two sentences.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2024 07:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Once again, you're overthinking these questions. Like many of your previous threads? There's no real difference between the two sentences.
Many thanks!
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 04:59 am
@tanguatlay,
Tsar is right, the difference between the two sentences is so slight it's almost negligable.

There is a very slight nuance. Watching them climb could be a snapshot of the ascent, looking up just in time to see him hop over the fence, while climbing suggests a lot more of the ascent was seen.

Again, this only suggests a difference and as such is so slight as to be negligable, and without further context you wouldn't really know either way.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 05:08 am
@izzythepush,
A suggestion, something implied, is not as strong as something expressed, and because the nuance, and what it suggests, is so slight it could easily be negated with further context.

I saw him climb over the wall( suggests a snapshot,)

I had been watching him for a number of days and watched his ascent from start to finish. ( This sentence changes the nuance completely, it's not at all vague, it's expressed, not implied.

I saw him climbing over the wall ( suggests some duration.)

I briefly looked up and saw him climbing over the wall, a split second later he was gone. ( Again the second, expressed non vague sentence changes the nuance.)

Hope this helps, but as Tsar said, there is no real discernable difference.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 06:23 am
Thanks, izzythepush.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is difference between me sentences? Th.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/27/2024 at 12:32:15