Professor: Dyslexia does not exist

Reyn

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:48 pm
Agree or disagree?

Dyslexia does not exist - professor

The Journal
Sep 2 2005

An education professor has claimed that dyslexia "does not exist" because it has no valid scientific basis.

Writing in the Times Education Supplement, Julian Elliott argues the term is largely an "emotional construct".

Experts have failed to agree what it is, and being diagnosed as dyslexic makes virtually no difference to the treatment that the individual requires, he writes.

Professor Elliott, who teaches at Durham University, said poor readers wanted to be called dyslexic because of a "widespread, but wrong, perception that dyslexics are generally intellectually bright".

He added that after 30 years in the field he had "little confidence" in his ability to diagnose it.

"Contrary to claims of 'miracle cures' there is no sound, widely accepted body of scientific work that has shown there exists any particular teaching approach more appropriate for 'dyslexic' children than for other poor readers," he says.

The British Dyslexia Association said the claims were inflammatory.

The charity's chief executive, Professor Susan Tresman, said educational psychologists or trained teachers had no problems spotting the condition.

She told the Daily Mail: "Dyslexia survives as a term because it is a real condition. I know of so many individual cases which completely refute what he is saying."

Up to six million Britons are believed to suffer from the brain disorder that disrupts reading and writing. Last month Princess Beatrice, 17, spoke about how she was diagnosed with the condition at the age of seven after struggling to read books that her younger sister, Eugenie, was managing.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 702 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:53 pm
I don't doubt it. I feel the same way about ADD/ADHD, The is no medical evidence to prove that it does exist.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:54 pm
Although, our special A2K Dyslexia certainly does ;-)
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:55 pm
I do wonder.

I considered myself dyslexic for a while, because I flip letters around and stumble when reading aloud.

However, I think I've come to terms with the fact that I simply am not good at reading aloud. I don't have a problem, for the most part (I often do misread words though) when reading silently, so I doubt I personally suffer.

But in the case of Princess Beatrice, if she actually couldn't pick up reading for a while due to difficulties, then you have a valid arguement.

Who knows! The article didn't really provide any statistics/facts on what makes us think there IS dyslexia.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:57 pm
Exactly! I'm one of those people who likes proof ;-)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:18 pm
proof - read about 1/2 my posts gril
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:59 pm
I've met the man. He's alive and well.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 11:46 pm
Interesting BM
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:57 am
This story proves to me how little the medical profession still knows about some conditions. As far as we have come, we still have a long way to go.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:30 pm
What scares me is when they pretend to know and prescribe dangerous drugs to treat these fanthom disorders.

The father of my son just died from those drugs that were suppose to help him!
My father died in 1986 because of the prescription pills that were suppose to help him!

I don't have much faith in the medical profession.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:35 pm
Montana wrote:
I don't have much faith in the medical profession.

A healthy dose of skepticism is always good, no matter what you're dealing with.

Unfortunately, sometimes one has no choice but to trust people in authority, because we're unable to help ourselves. In my case, I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma back in 1995. It was either go with the doctors' advice, or die eventually.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:43 pm
Of course there are no choices the majority of the times that meds are prescribed. I just wish they'ed stop making up illnesses just to make a profit.

There are many good doctors out there that actually care and I have one of them.
He was my gradmothers Doc and she lived to 97 years old :-D

The Doctors I have the biggest problem with are the mental heath ones. I think most of them live strictly on greed.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:50 pm
Montana wrote:
The Doctors I have the biggest problem with are the mental heath ones. I think most of them live strictly on greed.

Yeah, I'm not big on the psychiatric profession either. Healthy dose of skepticism here, please.... :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:54 pm
Has Diane been told that Dyslexia doesn't really exist? Poor girl.

(BTW, does anyone know what DNA stand for? National Dyslexics Association.)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:08 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Has Diane been told that Dyslexia doesn't really exist? Poor girl.

hehehe, I was waiting for that line! Laughing

Andrew gets the prize:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ReynN/nobel-prize.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Professor: Dyslexia does not exist
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:16:06