UK man finds world's largest species of centipede in his apt

Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:34 pm
London man finds world's largest species of centipede in his apartment

at 10:31 on September 1, 2005, EST.

http://www.cknw.com/shared/cp/xml/oddities/K090102AU.jpg
Natural History Museum expert Stuart Hine shows the world's largest species of centipede, Scolopendra gigantea, which was found in a north London home. (AP Photo/Natural History Museum, PA)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONDON (AP) - Aaron Balick expected to find a tiny mouse stirring around behind the TV in his apartment. Instead, he found a venomous giant centipede that somehow made its way from South America to Britain.

He trapped the 9-inch-long creature between a stack of books and put it in a plastic container.

"Thinking it was a mouse, I went to investigate the sound," Balick said Wednesday. "The sound was coming from under some papers which I lifted, expecting to see the mouse scamper away.

"Instead, when I lifted the papers, I saw this prehistoric-looking animal skitter away behind a stack of books."

The next day Balick, 32, took it to Britain's Natural History Museum, which identified the insect as a Scolopendra gigantea - the world's biggest species of centipede.

Stuart Hine, an entomologist at the museum, said it was likely the centipede hitched a ride aboard a freighter, likely with a shipment of fruit.

"Dealing with over 4,000 public and commercial inquiries every year, we have come to expect the unexpected. However, when Aaron produced this beast from his bag I was staggered," Hine said. "Not even I expected to be presented with this."

The centipede has front claws that are adapted to deliver venom when it stings, which can lead to a blistering rash, nausea and fever. The sting is rarely life-threatening, though.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,218 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:51 pm
Oh....my....god....

And I thought the ones I had were bad..... Shocked I would move out, I swear it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:56 pm
Damn! This sounds more like Australia, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:59 pm
Ewwww, oh yuk!!!!

<chills going up spine and hair standing up on end>
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:01 pm
Probably make a nice meal with the right sauce.

Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:05 pm
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

<runs away from intrepid>
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
Do you want the recipe, Montana?

Laughing
Laughing
Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:07 pm
To what state of cleanliness must one devolve in order to attract such a disgusting creature?

It gave me the hibbies.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
Though house centipedes are found both indoors and outdoors it is the occasional one on the bathroom or bedroom wall, or the one accidentally trapped in the bathtub, sink, or lavatory that causes the most concern. However, these locations are not where they normally originate. Centipedes prefer to live in damp portions of basements, closets, bathrooms, unexcavated areas under the house and beneath the bark of firewood stored indoors. They do not come up through the drain pipes.

House centipedes feed on small insects, insect larvae, and on spiders. Thus they are beneficial, though most homeowners take a different point-of-view and consider them a nuisance. Technically, the house centipede could bite, but it is considered harmless to people.

House centipede control consists of drying up and cleaning, as much as possible, the areas that serve as habitat and food source for centipedes. Residual insecticides can be applied to usual hiding places such as crawl spaces, dark corners in basements, baseboard cracks and crevices, openings in concrete slabs, under shelves, around stored boxes, and so forth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:20 pm
I was employed for a number of years in the French Department at the University of Illinois. We were in the Foreign Language Building, a relatively new building on the quadrangle, in the heart of the original campus. We were right next door to Davenport Hall, the home of the Agriculture Department. In days of old, the campus had been heated by a central steam plant, and there were "steam tunnels" under the quadrangle, built so that the steam lines could be serviced.

Some one in Ag got a permit to import Asian cockroaches. The common cockroach in the United States is the German cockroach, which, although possessed of wings, is not a good flyer, and almost never attempts the feat. Asian cockroaches, however, fly very well, and commonly live outdoors, where the German cockroach cannot survive. As anyone ought to have known was inevitable, the imported cockroaches eventually escaped the laboratory, and migrated through the steam tunnels.

The copying center for FLB and the computer center for the campus-wide PLATO computer system was in the basement. Many's the time i've gotten off the elevator to hear sounds of disgust, which rapidly turned into terrorized screams. A woman or some women would see one of these cockroachs (which run to three or four inches long) and, expressing contempt, try to drive them off or step on them. The bug would then fly at them. Once i witnessed the entire process--a secretary saw one of them, and tried to drive the insect off by kicking at it. Their instinctive response, if male, is to fly at the agressor (perhaps to distract them from offspring?). When this cockroach flew at her, she let out a blood-curdling scream, hiked her skirt up to her waist, and ran at truly amazing speed for the stairs. Quite a sight--and she was wearing lovely lace underwear, as well.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:31 pm
Ahh, to be a fly on the wall...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 09:33 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Do you want the recipe, Montana?

Laughing
Laughing
Laughing

No, no, no thank you Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 10:04 pm
Wow, when I posted this little baby, I had no idea anyone would be vaguely interested in it. It's kind of obscure. Laughing

It just goes to show you. I sure wouldn't want to find this guy in my bed. Shocked
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 10:07 pm
We aren't

Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:48 am
roger wrote:

No.

Our centipedes are shy and eschew cities.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 05:16 am
Almost worst of all possible scenerios my wife found a four inch millipede in the blankets on her side of the bed the other night. I thought the walls would come down with her screams. When squeezed they emit an irritating acid but they don't bite. Had it been one of the centipedes here she probobly would have been bit and I'd be sleeping alone in this house.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:59 pm
roger wrote:

and no from me too.
Consider his usefullness though, is he doing the job he was intended to do?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » UK man finds world's largest species of centipede in his apt
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 02:10:18