Anger Management

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 09:06 am
Hello helpful community!

Maybe you can give me some great advice (as usual) on how to manage this issue.

Preface: I'm a father of a 3-year-old boy and a 1-year-old girl. I absolutely did not expect the flood of love that washes over me every day, and I find it amazing how much I love these two little people and how much this love keeps growing. I never expected I would feel so much joy and pride in such tiny humans, but here we are.

At the end of the day, I always have to give them a kiss goodnight, thank God for how happy and healthy they are, and say a little prayer.

I love them to death!

I was not raised as a happy kid. I had what I thought was a loving and caring family, but being brought up in the '80s and '90s, my parents focused on their medical careers, working late nights. I was brought up the old-school way; my parents didn't communicate well and didn't express love often.

When I misbehaved, my dad would mainly yell at me and ground me. He hit me a (very) few times (once when he caught me lying). I don't blame him for that. I think that was how things were done at the time. Whenever he would punish me (when I deserved it), he would get really, really angry, yell at me, and scare the sh#t out of me.

However, I feel my parents had the best intentions. They brought me up to be my best self, never settle for average when they knew I could do more and better. They taught me to always be a good person with good manners, respect everyone and everything around me, study hard, and follow whatever career I enjoyed.

I also had a lonely childhood. I was bullied in school and had no friends. Only when I went to college did I find good friends and start really living life—going out, going to parties, dating, etc.

Fast forward to today: I obviously have some unresolved childhood issues that I'm working on with a psychologist. I stopped going a year ago.

I could never imagine making my kids go through the same type of parenting I went through; however, I've already felt the past creeping up and yelled at my son for stubbornly doing something I asked him to stop.

I've always had anger management issues and would mainly deal with them by lifting weights, going for a run, or just putting on a podcast and walking by myself for a while to dissipate the steam.

However, with two small children, being sleep-deprived, managing a career, paying a mortgage, and dealing with what life throws at you, I don't have the same ability to decompress. So, I've already had two specific instances where I yelled at my oldest child, which brought me back to my dad doing the same thing. I don't want my kid to go through the same.

I think I'm 99% in control of my anger, but those two times I lost it, it was stronger than me. I didn't even feel it brewing—it just happened, triggered by my kid's bad behavior.

I know that this is absolutely a reflection of my insecurities, but what I need to know is how do you manage this anger and keep it in check?

Thank you.

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 09:40 am
@emmeesse,
Just to let you know, I have no kids.

But I get angry, just like you do, and like everyone does.

A few ideas:

* Try reframing what's going on. You're annoyed with your son because of... what, exactly? Not putting away toys? Not communicating well? etc. Read up on standard developmental milestones at his age. He might not be communicating well because no kid that age does. Or he might not put away his toys to your satisfaction because it's inevitable that he will see something shiny. So, getting angry at him for these things is like getting angry because he can't perform brain surgery.
* Corollary to the first - manage your expectations. Endurance, speed, and understanding are all less than what you've got. Again, cut him some slack.
* Consider changing things up when you get angry. Try moving to another room, going outside, picking up a pencil, whatever it takes to shift your quite literal perspective. See if that doesn't necessarily calm you down but at least helps you to see his actions or inactions in a more charitable light.
* Parenting books FTW. Consider Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care, which is a bestseller for a very good reason (get a recent edition and not an older one). Or something similar. Look at reviews and talk to your parenting friends about what they've referred to. Nobody is born knowing how to do this stuff. A book is useful and not a sign of weakness or giving up.
* Talk with the child's mother (your wife? girlfriend? ex? someone else...?) and get on the same page with as much as possible. Make sure your children are getting consistent messages so you can eliminate confusion as an issue.

And give yourself a break. None of us is perfect.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 12:33 pm
Excellent advice from Jes. One of the best things she advised was to read up on child development and your expectations. Three is very tiny - picture a kitten who destroyed a roll of TP. Help your children out by understanding where they're at, developmentally.
0 Replies

RPhalange

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 03:19 pm
Agree with above; I would suggest that if you feel your anger is still unresolved to see your therapist again.

That aside, like others said, everyone gets angry sometimes. One other thought tell your child you are sorry for yelling at him. It can be a learning experience for him as well that adults are not perfect and make mistakes. It will show him how to handle things when he does something wrong that yes my wonderful dad can make a mistake and look how he handles it. It will better prepare him when he makes a mistake, he will know the right thing is to own up to it.

That is not to say your child gets off the hook for doing wrong. You can apologize for yelling at him, tell him that is not the appropriate way to handle it. And then explain what your child did wrong; if needed dole out an appropriate punishment.
Mame

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 04:32 pm
@RPhalange,
Agree with the apology, too, and another thing - try to keep your voice down. Kids, well everyone, really, get startled or scared at loud voices.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 05:17 pm
@emmeesse,
There is a whole book by Albert Ellis about anger.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Anger Management
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.34 seconds on 09/07/2024 at 05:39:07