Locating People/Verifying a Death

algran

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 02:08 am
I've been trying to track down one of my DIs in Marine boot camp. Went through basic in 1968 at MCRD San Diego. I recently called a former Drill Instructor, living in Texas and retired from USMC, who worked with and knew the DI in question. He told me that he heard the DI had been killed(he thought in a car accident), after his second tour in Vietnam.

This would have been between 1969-1973. I checked the National Cemetery Administration website. Punched in his name, etc. and no record of him buried in a Military cemetery. I also checked the Social Security Death Index, and again no record of the DI in question. This leads me to believe that he might be still alive!

My question to you is what website sources can I use to verify if an American has indeed died? Also, do you have any tips on locating this person if he is indeed still living? I have his first and last names(not middle name, but initial), his USMC military service number, his approximate age, where he used to live before he entered the service in 1959, and of course his rank, time and place of his whereabouts when he was my DI.

I'm trying to do this search for free, and without having to mail the Military Records in St.Louis, and wait weeks and even months.

Any tips and information you can give me would be very much appreciated. I'm not the only one looking for this person; many friends he had as a teenager in Los Angeles have been trying to hunt him down for years. Thank you.

Art Granville
Hemet, CA";
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 714 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:02 am
Quote:
I'm trying to do this search for free, and without having to mail the Military Records in St.Louis, and wait weeks and even months.

You have already looked in the SS Death Index, and the military cemeteries. Have you checked the white pages on the net? If he is alive, you might just find him there. If he has a very common name, it might be much more difficult.

http://www.whitepages.com/10583/?source=GO000009&KW=white_pages

Bottom line, if finding this person is so important to you, why knock your brains out? Spend a few bucks and have a professional do the looking for you.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:08 am
The following site may be useful to find a person alive.

http://zabasearch.com/
(membershim may be required)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 06:12 am
If you and your buddy were 3MarDiv, there is a good locator list available at Thirdmarines-dot-Net

VietnamVets-dot-Org offers many resources useful for finding veterans; see "Information & Search Aids for Veterans"

A useful general "People Finder" is the telephone-directory-based Switchboard.com, click "Find a person", then type in a name, City/State/Zip if known (optional), and click "Search".

WhoWhere offers more options, a different, frequently updated database.

Yahoo! People and AnyWho are a couple more general "People Finder" websites.

Finaly, and perhaps most likely to yield results, you could personally contact your local or regional office of the US Department of Veterans Affairs. There's no "Web-Based" search function, but those folks will go out of the way to help former service members track one another down - if approached properly.
0 Replies