Songs that were recorded by different artists. Remakes, cover songs, and originals.

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 02:38 am
Songs that were recorded by different artists.
Remakes, cover songs, and originals.

1. There have been many songs throughout the years that were recorded by different artists with their own version.

2. Sometimes, you might prefer the original.

3. Sometimes, you might prefer a particular cover or remake of a song.

4. Sometimes, you might like two versions of a song equally.

5. Sometimes, you might like a particular version, while not liking another version. 

6. Sometimes, I get surprised to find out that a favorite song has been previously recorded by another artist.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 642 • Replies: 21
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 06:18 am
From one of the first two vinyl albums in my collection, bought in 1958.
0 Replies

steve reid

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 08:25 am
A great subject Real Music

My first thoughts went to

From Clare to Here - written by Ralph McTell

A bit of background to the song (a short read)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Clare_to_Here

While I do like Ralph McTell's version, Jim McCann takes this song to another level

Ralph McTell - From Clare To Here

Clare to Here - Jim McCann
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2024 06:00 pm
For a time it seemed every popular artist had to record Long Tall Sally. But the original is the best, by Richard Penniman.
Ragman

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 03:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
If you’re interested in having your head explode, play a Pat Boone song and Little Richard song back-to-back - preferably one that they both sang. I can think of Tutti Fruitti.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2024 03:38 pm
@Ragman,
I have Pat Boone's records, as well as Little Richard and others he recorded. Pat made pablum of Richard's music. What Boone's critics overlook is that he had a wonderful voice when he did songs his voice was compatible with. His Friendly Persuasion, for instance is a beautiful record.
Ragman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 06:47 am
@edgarblythe,
But..Little Richard was “real Rock & Roll”. I’ve been listening to him in SXM on my long drives. He’s the next generation’s Bing.

Whereas, Boone had a smooth soothing voice that parents could approve of and even listen to…which pissed off some kids. Rebellious teens enjoyed LR wildness as well as Jerry Lee Lewis. You. Could kick up your heals with these guys.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 07:10 am
@Ragman,
I understand what you are saying. Little Richard could not be matched. But the record buying public bought as many Pat Boone records then as Elvis records. You can't find anybody who admits to liking him now but he was extremely popular. I never listened to Pat's "rythm and blues" songs, but I have a fondness for several of the other kind. I played the **** out of the Little Richard album that features Good Golly Miss Molly, about as much as Jerry Lee Lewis and Ray Charles.
Ragman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 07:17 am
@Ragman,
Oops, I meant BOONE was the next Bing.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 07:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Yup, on the other guys. Interesting to see how many bought PB sales vs Elvis. Incidentally, Rick Nelson outsold Elvis around the time he went into the ARMY.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2024 10:29 am
Elvis had his ups and downs for all those years. EVen when he did a lot of crap he remained a star. I love many of his records. What I don't love is most of his movies and "live" performances. For most artists as with him I just want the studio performances. And only the good ones.
Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 12:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree with you there. I liked Ricky Nelson more but that’s because my older brother had his records and all of us watched Ozzie and Harriet on tv.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 12:23 pm
@Ragman,
I watched Ozzie and Harriet after hearing the show on the radio growing up. Rick was good and striking out with new stuff at the end. I bought his last album just before he died. I listened to Garden Party and It's Up to You a few days ago.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 02:16 pm
Here is a version of Me and Bobby McGee
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 03:03 pm
Gloria Estefan feels like the only person who can justifiably cover Vicki Sue Robinson.

VSR:

GE:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 05:56 pm
Mostly we think of Nat King Cole but this song was covered by many artists
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 06:57 pm
Quote:
Let's get into Ashford and Simpson and how "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

went from Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell (1967) to Diana Ross (1970)

and everything in between!

Real Music

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2024 12:05 am
Jackson 5 - Never Can Say Goodbye
Released March (1971)

GLORIA GAYNOR - Never Can Say Goodbye
Released January (1975)

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2024 05:51 pm
@Real Music,
I saw Marvin Gaye live at a large nightclub in Baltimore about a year or two after Martin Luther King assassination. He show was terrific, he was dressed in a Tuxedo and sang beautifully. I miss his music.
jespah

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2024 06:44 pm
A few years ago, a bunch of artists covered Carpenters tunes. Here's Superstar by Sonic Youth ~

and of course the OG by the late, great Karen Carpenter ~
0 Replies