As I sit here in tears.......

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:54 pm
I wonder how I would do if I were one of the hundreds of thousands on the Gulf Coast who now have nothing.

I don't know if I could survive the loss of so much and so many. I feel for those who stayed behind and didn't leave. I would probably have done the same. Maybe not in my own home but in a place where my family and I could be together.

I don't know if I would have the energy to go out each day and try to find the bare necessities to live on. I don't know if I would have the skills to survive.

I just don't know.

It isn't often that I really wish for great wealth. I do now because I would use it all to help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,526 • Replies: 38
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:56 pm
I wondered today what I would do if 'they' tried to make me leave my home without my family and dogs.
0 Replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:58 pm
I know there was a good reason for it but I was heartbroken when I saw some people being rescued from a roof and their dog was left behind.

I know there are only so few boats and so many people to save that animals aren't necessarily a priority but it was awful to see just the same.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:45 pm
When Fran came through our location and dropped trees into our home (with us in it) and then filled it with 12 hours worth of rain, I can tell you I was devestated.

Our children were in shock. I was very depressed, but it got pushed down and turned into action. Bear made me keep it together. Kept telling me we had to, for the kids to not panic. And, at least we all survived.

Here, neighbors, and total strangers that came to help within hours of the hurricane leaving, made all of the difference. Everyone pulled together and helped each other clear trees, provide food, care for the kids, etc. Without that I don't think we would have come through it as mentally intact.

That, to me is the saddest part of katrina's aftermath. Due to all of the flooding, these people won't have their neighbors to turn to, or the immediate act of cleaning up that can help mentally put it all behind.

They may be displaced for months, not knowing if their home survived, or any of their belongings. Dragging it out like that just seems torturous.

(I can't think about the pets and animals. That's too much)
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:25 pm
Sorry - if my animals couldn't go, then I wouldn't be leaving either. Animals are a priority, they are living creatures. This is the kind of attitude that I think Spend and Cyr and myself are referring to in the 'Disgust' thread (to an extent).

I have been avoiding watching any news, reading any newspapers or discussing anything to do with Katrina. I don't want to know, because I'll see stories similar to these where animals are left behind, and it'll break my heart. Humans can fend for themselves, they could have left if they really wanted to. For them, I feel no pity. However the animals are, indeed, a priority. I just wish more people saw it that way so that we could actually act upon it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:28 am
its time for our overpaid entertainers & athletes to start coughing up some serious bucks...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:48 am
I can't bear to think of the animal victims, either. The thought of having to leave them behind, to whatever fate is awful .... It must be heartbreaking.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:51 am
I have loved animals during my lifetime, and I certainly understand the anguish over losing them. But I would rather save one child, than 100 pets!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:59 am
Of course no one is suggesting that saving pets is more important than saving children. Saving both is better, of course! It's just that no one wouldn't be expected to leave a child behind. But that is the case with some pets, apparently. It's reasonable to feel some sadness about that, I think.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:04 am
msolga- Of course...........the entire turn of events is tragic, and I am not minimizing the emotional trauma of losing a beloved pet. The problem is that this disaster is really a bottom line situation, and survival of each person and his family is the name of the game.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 05:13 am
Of course, Phoenix.
But it's still reasonable to express sadness & concern for the bewilderment & despair of innocent animals in disaster situations. I feel enormously for the wildlife victims of the bushfires of Southern Australia, too. Sadly, a very regular event.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:34 pm
We could do a little more. The Red Cross needs more money now than ever before. One more important thing we can do is prepare ourself for disaster. You can be part of the Red Cross by learning First Aid, and any other survival training they offer. No matter where you live, here, or in another country there must be some program that can train you. I'm sure this will make you feel a little better.

I would be nice if A2K had someone that had some training, and would be willing to give us some orientation about first aid. I know we would not be able to cover everything here, but it would be something.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 12:42 pm
If it comes down to saving a human life or and animal life, humans win out. I'd be hysterical if they made me leave without my pet.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:57 pm
Well, I agree with everyone that if I had a pet, I know I couldn't leave it behind. I just couldn't. I'd have to take it with me or die trying.

I wish there was some way I could get to NO. I'd be willing to help out in any way, even if it was just serving food to all the hungry, thirsty, tired, grief stricken people there.

It's frustrating to feel that there is so little you can do, other than donate money.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 04:37 pm
I would also die trying to save my pets as well, I couldnt leave my babies behind...
A/East-Somebody in very household should learn 1st Aid, I have done the St.Johns 1st Aid course and am about to do a refresher course as a legal reqirement for my work and I can say I am confident enough to be able to know what to do in an emergency.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 08:49 pm
Good discussion, Bodhisattvawannabe. I have wondered how, or if, I would cope in such a situation. Thanks for starting it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 09:11 pm
Region, I don't know why you focus on athletes and entertainers. Among the rich, they have the shortest money-making careers. I agree with you, but I would extend your point to all of the wealthy who will be getting massive returns of the taxes that many of them actually did not pay.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:52 am
My pet comes with me or I don't go. My pets have always been a part of my family and I could never leave them behind.
I should stop watching CNN because I can't bear the pain of it all anymore. It's tearing me apart.

The good news is that the humane society has made it over there and are in boats going around to collect abandoned pets and some of the folks who left their pets behind have been allowed to go get them.

Now I'm in tears again. <sigh>
0 Replies

Bodhisattvawannabe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:00 pm
Thank you Roger.

Montana, I stopped watching the news a few days ago. I've started watching little bits of it again but don't last long if there are lots of NO stories.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:52 pm
I have stopped watching as well. I was layed off from work until yesterday and had far too much time on my hands for a few months, so I ended up watching more than my heart could bear.
My mother still watches every day and lets me know when something major happens.
I can actually say that all that I've seen so far has made me feel physically ill, which is why there'll be no tv for me for a while.
Thank god I have work to keep me occupied.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » As I sit here in tears.......
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 02:03:12