a2k Restrooms? Are they open to the public?

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 01:08 pm
1. What do you call public restrooms (in your area)? As in how do you ask for the location of the nearest public restroom?
2. What's the biggest red flags in terms of public restrooms? As in what brings around a veto in using a public restroom - even if you're desperate?
3. What do you do when there's a long line for the public restroom and you're desperate?

Do you have any public restroom horror stories?

a2k Restrooms? Are they open to the public? And who is the unfortunate soul who has to clean them?

glitterbag

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 02:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
I checked the County Directive but couldn't find a particular name for rest rooms, but I think in Baltimore they call theirs Majorie.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 03:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
1. Ireland - 'Where's the nearest 'jax'?
2. Public loos are better than they used to be but vandalism is an issue. Personally stopped using them since covid.
3. Go to the nearest pub, buy a coffee and use their facilities.

Spent some time in German in the early 1990s where the restrooms were generally identified by the initials WC. For several months I thought my thick Irish accent was the reason locals looked blankly when I asked where the nearest WC was before eventually remembering that Germans pronounced those letters as 'Vay Say'.
roger

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 05:24 pm
@lmur,
lmur wrote:

Spent some time in German in the early 1990s where the restrooms were generally identified by the initials WC. For several months I thought my thick Irish accent was the reason locals looked blankly when I asked where the nearest WC was before eventually remembering that Germans pronounced those letters as 'Vay Say'.

Strange. When I was in Germany, the men's was labeled Da Men. Women's was Herren.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2024 06:11 pm
I remember sitting in a public toilet in Japan when two women casually strolled past. It was a strange sensation. They never paid me the slightest heed, but continued an already begun conversation and moved along. This was in 1964. Not sure how things are over there now.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 05:46 am
To quote Nigel Planer in A Fist full of Travellers' Cheques, "Where's the bog? El boggo?"
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2024 09:30 am
@tsarstepan,
We don't have public washrooms, per se, but they can be found at gas stations, some parks, restaurants, malls, etc. Vancouver used to have a couple in the Downtown Eastside, but I think they did away with them some time ago.

At home, it's 'bathroom'. Outside the home, it's 'restroom', 'washroom', 'Ladies", 'Gents', 'toilet'.

No problems with them, they're generally very clean; however, there are a few on the train lines that seem to be used by drug addicts as you will find used needles and other detritus there
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2024 09:24 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I remember sitting in a public toilet in Japan when two women casually strolled past. It was a strange sensation. They never paid me the slightest heed, but continued an already begun conversation and moved along. This was in 1964. Not sure how things are over there now.

Semi-on topic. Speaking about Japanese public restrooms? There's a great character study of a film that came out last year about an older Japanese gentleman who's job is to clean and maintain public restrooms in Tokyo: Perfect Days. Made my top ten films from 2023. Excellent acting. A bit slow on story plot (if that is something that bothers you). Should have won this year for best international film Oscar.

A must see if you don't mind reading English subtitles.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » a2k Restrooms? Are they open to the public?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/17/2024 at 09:04:11