Helicopter Carrying Iran’s President Has Crashed, State Media Reports

Reply Sun 19 May, 2024 10:33 am
Helicopter Carrying Iran’s President Has Crashed, State Media Reports
Rescuers are trying to locate the helicopter on which President Ebrahim Raisi and Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian were traveling, state media reported. Their status is unknown.
www.nytimes.com www.nytimes.com

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/05/19/world/iran-president-helicopter-crash
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 173 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 May, 2024 11:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
The immediate lack of Iran claiming either assassination by the United States and/or Israel is messing with my sense of geopolitical balance.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 May, 2024 11:31 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

The immediate lack of Iran claiming either assassination by the United States and/or Israel is messing with my sense of geopolitical balance.

Laughing
I know what ya mean, Steve. I expected both charges to be made almost immediately.

Now I expect them to make a big deal out of the fact that the coptor was an American made one...one about 50 years old, I hear.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 May, 2024 03:08 am
The biggest impact will be in internal politics.

The current supreme leader has been painted into a corner by the conservative president and cabinet.

It means he can't keep cabinet decisions at arm length.

The president was v unpopular, behind the crackdown following protests a out a teenage girlkilled in captivity.

People don't know what is going to happen, but there is a lot more going on in Iran other than just opposing Israel and the US.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 May, 2024 05:12 am
@izzythepush,
Really good in depth article about Iran.

Quote:
Ebrahim Raisi stood close to the pinnacle of power in the Islamic Republic and was widely tipped to rise to its very top.

A dramatic turn dealt him a different hand.

His death in a helicopter crash on Sunday has upended the growing speculation over who will eventually replace the 85-year-old Supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, whose own health has long been the focus of intense interest.

The tragic fate of Iran’s hardline president is not expected to disrupt the direction of Iranian policy or jolt the Islamic Republic in any consequential way.

But it will test a system where conservative hardliners now dominate all branches of power, both elected and unelected.

“The system will make a massive show of his death and stick to constitutional procedures to show functionality, while it seeks a new recruit who can maintain conservative unity and loyalty to Khamenei,” observes Dr Sanam Vakil, director of the Middle East and North Africa programme at the Chatham House think tank.

Raisi's opponents will hail the exit of a former prosecutor accused of a decisive role in the mass execution of political prisoners in the 1980s which he denied; they will hope the end of his rule hastens the end of this regime.

For Iran’s ruling conservatives, the state funeral will be an occasion freighted with emotion; it will also be an opportunity to start sending their signals of continuity.

They know the world is watching.

Lots more at link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1dd99jgl09o<br />
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 May, 2024 08:22 am
@tsarstepan,
It's the DRC that's doing that.

Three American Citizens are amongst fifty people arrested for trying to start a coup.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Helicopter Carrying Iran’s President Has Crashed, State Media Reports
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/14/2024 at 04:08:20