Favorite (Science Fiction or Fantasy) tv series that were CANCELLED too soon.

Reply Mon 6 May, 2024 02:32 pm
Favorite (Science Fiction or Fantasy) tv series that were CANCELLED too soon.

1. This includes network television such as ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, etc.

2. This also includes cable television such as the SYFY, HBO, AMC, Showtime, CW network, and any of the hundreds of other cable channels.

3. This also includes ORIGINAL series on Netflix, Prime Video, Paramount Plus, Disney Plus, Peacock, Hulu, Apple tv, and any other Streaming services and apps.

Throughout the 1990's, 2000's, 2010's, and 2020's, I have seen quite a few Science Fiction and/or Fantasy series get cancelled.

These series often get cancelled right after a cliffhanger ending leading me all eager and excited for the next season.

Sometimes the series get cancelled in the middle or during a season without actually completing the full season.

I expect that there are others who have experienced this occurrence.

If so, do you have examples of any favorite Science Fiction or Fantasy shows that you were eager and excited to see the next episode or the next season that end up getting cancelled?

Also, anyone from other countries with other channels, series, and networks, feel free to share your experiences as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 141 • Replies: 7

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 May, 2024 02:56 pm
@Real Music,
Flashforward (2009–2010): At the single season point. At least the novel exists to explain the inciting incident of the series.

Stargate Universe (2009-2011): Season 2 ends on a cliffhanger where all characters are still stuck billions of light years away from home. And the mystery of the ancient intergalactic ship their on - never explained as well.

Westworld (2016–2022): Though I never gotten around to seeing season 4.

Tales from the Loop (2020)? It must have ended on a cliffhanger. But I can't remember what happened on the 7th and final episode.

Inside Job (2021–2022)! I super adore this animated series. Season 2 ended in a cliffhanger.

Infinity Train's cancellation is by far one of the BIGGEST CRIMES AGAINST TELEVISIONANITY. Frack you David Zaslev! We need closure on this HBO MAX cancellation the most.

It would be nice to get more Jessica Jones. But with three seasons? There are series that have been treated worse. Hopefully, Krysten Ritter will return in a Disney+ series.

Some closure for Dr. Sam Beckett - in a miniseries or TV movie - from Quantum Leap (1989-1993), now that its reboot series failed.

I could add perennial cancelled too soon Firefly (2002-2003)....

I'll end it here. There are other series that I would love to see more seasons on. But they (whatever I can recall) haven't ended on a premature cliffhanger.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 May, 2024 12:26 pm
@Real Music,
As far as American stuff goes I was disappointed when both Reaper and Dark Skies ended prematurely.

We don't tend to have it as much, most new shows don't tend to be planned for more than one season, so there's usually an ending of some type.

Second and third series also are stand alone unless they've been given the green light for a run of more than one, which isn't often.

Blake's 7 could have been a lot better, but it ran out of steam towards the end.

What really pisses me off is the comedy Tygo Road. It only had one season and was so good, like Fawlty Towers but with a much better central character than Basil Fawlty.

It's gone, no clips on youtube, no repeats, nothing.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 7 May, 2024 01:02 pm
@Real Music,
Defying Gravity. Cancelled after 1 season. Loved this show ... &*%$£

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. Cancelled after 1 season.

Raised by Wolves: Cancelled after 2 seasons.

Very Very annoying, hours and hours down the drain. %$!£* (Deep breath)
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 8 May, 2024 04:10 am
@Real Music,
Brandon9000 and I were big fans of The Time Tunnel.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.keE2k3mLWK6aWldE066VJgHaFk%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=05826b5e613ab0d860dec92779880e44f9718143ee3b88e7a0f2f16feec749c6&ipo=images
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 8 May, 2024 09:17 am
Cancelled - Terra Nova

Terra Nova is an American science fiction drama television series.

It aired on the Fox Network for one season from September 26 to December 19, 2011.

The series documents the Shannon family's experiences as they establish themselves as members of a colony, set up 85 million years in the Earth's past, fleeing the dystopian overpopulated and hyper-polluted present of the mid-22nd century.

The series is based on an idea by British writer Kelly Marcel with Steven Spielberg as executive producer. On March 5, 2012, Fox announced that the show had been cancelled.

Plot
The series is initially set in 2149, when overpopulation and declining air quality threaten all life on Earth. When scientists discover a temporal rift permitting (one-way) human transmission, they initiate a series of "pilgrimages" to a parallel "time stream" resembling Earth's Cretaceous Period. The series focuses primarily on police officer James "Jim" Shannon, his wife Elisabeth, and their three children Josh, Maddy, and Zoe, as they join the colony there, named "Terra Nova", Latin for "New Earth" or "New World".

Elisabeth Shannon is chosen to join Terra Nova for her medical expertise, and her two older children with her. Her husband, imprisoned for violating population control by harboring a third child and assaulting an official agent to protect his young daughter, stows away to join them and eventually convinces the colony's leader, Commander Nathaniel Taylor, that his own police expertise is of use to the administration.

Opposing the colony (and its leader Taylor) is a group of separatists known as the "Sixers", so-called because they arrived in the "Sixth Pilgrimage", working in concert with corporate industrialists to strip the Cretaceous Earth of its resources and transmit them to 2149, allowing for massive profits at the cost of environmental destruction. It is later revealed that Commander Taylor's estranged grown son, Lucas, is working with the Sixers as well. Toward the end of the series, Lucas perfects travel to and from the future, thus enabling the industrialists, with a private army called "The Phoenix Group", to invade Terra Nova. At the end of the series, Jim Shannon returns to 2149 to destroy the gateway permitting travel to the Cretaceous, whereupon the Phoenix Group retreats to the nearby "Badlands", leaving behind a wooden ship's figurehead apparently located there by another temporal rift.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 8 May, 2024 09:51 am
Dark Matter: Why it was cancelled

Dark Matter is a science fiction television series that premiered in 2015, developed by Prodigy Pictures in association with the Space channel and the Syfy channel.

The concept was created by Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie while they were working on the Stargate franchise, and was originally published as a comic book series in 2012.

An order for 13 episodes was placed for the first season of the series, which premiered on June 12, 2015, on both Space and Syfy.

On September 5, 2015, the series was renewed for a second season.

Dark Matter was renewed for a third season in September 2016, which premiered on June 9, 2017.

On September 1, 2017, Syfy canceled the series.

Premise
A group of people in stasis pods awaken aboard the starship Raza. They have no memories of who they are or their lives before awakening, so they assume the names One through Six in the order in which they left stasis and set about trying to uncover their identities and what happened to them. Also onboard is a female-looking android who has a wireless neural link to the ship.

At the end of the pilot episode, the crew discover that they are a band of mercenaries who are among the worst criminals in the galaxy, leaving them with the dilemma of continuing their original selves' violent path or seeking redemption. Their lives are frequently complicated by secrets from their forgotten pasts.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 May, 2024 10:27 am
@Real Music,
That sounds a little bit like "Welcome to Blood City" starring Jack Palance.

At the beginning a group of people wake up in the countryside with no memories, just a note saying what they were found guilty of and how long their sentence is.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Favorite (Science Fiction or Fantasy) tv series that were CANCELLED too soon.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 10:33:30