If someone gets your debit card information

Reply Sat 4 May, 2024 11:09 pm
Online. What can you do with your PC to make sure it never happens again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 193 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 12:00 am
@edgarblythe,
All that occurs to me is to never, ever use it online again. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. For what it's worth, I can and do check my bank accounts daily.

This has never happened to me, but I'm not sure I've ever used a debit card online. Never had a problem with a credit card.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 02:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Contact your bank, cancel the card and get a new one.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 10:05 am
@izzythepush,
That's the first thing I did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 10:13 am
@roger,
I'm not certain it was done online but it seems likely this time. A few months back I used the card in the same grocery store I've gone to for years. Less than an hour later somebody began using the card, which made me think somebody inside the store managed to get it. The difference here, the name associated with the last incident, the money was allegedly claimed by somebody in New Jersey.

The bank asked if I reported it to the police. The police told me I live outside city limits and gave me the county police number to call. I will call early Monday morning. I don't think any action will be taken, but I need to show my bank that I didn't willingly pay out this money.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 10:56 am
@edgarblythe,
The bank should forgive the debt, plus if the grocery store is in city limits the crime was probably started in the grocery store. You should tell the grocery store about this incident, possibly a few other people were victimized at the same time.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 11:52 am
@glitterbag,
The store manager wouldn't discuss it. Probably afraid we would give the store a questionable reputation.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 12:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Is the store part of a chain?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 12:08 pm
@glitterbag,
One of the biggest chains in our state.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 12:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I would google the headquarters and report it to them. Is this the chain that goes by 3 letters in its name? I have a nephew that works at one near Marble Falls.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 May, 2024 01:44 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 May, 2024 08:54 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Online. What can you do with your PC to make sure it never happens again?

Not exactly sure why you're asking about your PC and the possible debit card infraction. At least without any connecting context. Do you believe your debit card was compromised while buying something online? If so, I wouldn't try to do the diagnostics and possible repair on a hacked computer myself. Take it in to a computer repair place and have them check it for malware or spyware. Let them clean it. Worst case is they will have to completely reformat your computer and you'll lose (if not everything) almost everything on your computer as one may not exactly know where the malware is hiding out.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 May, 2024 01:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
I buy two products online, have been for years. I thought at first because this one was linked to a phone number in New Jersey it was an online theft. But the officer I just talked with said he thinks somebody inside the local grocery store did it. I now agree with the officer because both days my card got hacked I was in that same store.
Mame

Reply Mon 6 May, 2024 06:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hopefully they'll figure it out for you.

My husband only writes two cheques a year to the CRA (Cdn IRS) for our taxes. This year, a couple of days after they were cashed, he noticed three cheques written on his account - $8.800, and 2 at $3,800. They cut and pasted a different cheque number, the date, and his signature. They then TYPED IN the Payable and dollar amount. The payables were two French women's names. Definitely fraud!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 May, 2024 07:50 pm
@Mame,
We mail a few checks for bills. A month ago we mailed two checks the same day. One arrived in a few days. The other never did show up so we did a stop payment on it. Strange, since both checks went in the slot inside the post office at the same moment.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 17 May, 2024 12:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
On the 7th of May I got a phone call from my Credit Union. Someone tried to buy airline tickets in Maine with my card (I live in Maryland). They canceled that card and hopefully my new card will arrive today. It's a constant struggle to keep thieves away each and everyday.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » If someone gets your debit card information
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:33:47