child support payment increased because of one missed payment?

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2024 10:42 pm
Back in 2018 I started paying child support and for a few years now its been the same, about 350. I don't work and I'm disabled 100% through the VA. Last year, 2023, I had realized that my automatic payments through child Support clearinghouse had suddenly, without warning, stopped automatically paying in October. I did not realize this until the following month. So now I owe $350 on top of everything with my fixed budget. So, I decided to pay a little extra every month to try and get it paid off. About $50 extra every month until that "$350" was paid. When my new wife and I filed taxes together for 2023, we found out that the state had withheld $363 Dollars. This was surprising and frustrating for us. So, I called D.E.S to find out what was happening. (I should have done this a long time ago) From what I understood I was told by the representative, was that the withholding of the taxes was for an overdue amount for child support. I couldn't understand the reason because it had been 5 months since I missed the payment, I thought to myself, 50 x 5 =250 dollars. That would mean I would owe $100 more still. But no. Apparently, I had been charged with an $86-dollar amount penalty for missing that month and every other month that followed until the initial $350 was paid off. So, my actual payment is $436 per month. I was never notified about this charge at all. I have my theories, but if I hadn't called D.E.S about this situation I would still be accumulating a debt that might have resulted in my arrest somewhere down the line in the future.

With this all being said... here are my questions.....

Is this legal for D.E.S, or whoever, to start doing this to people?

Is there anything I can do?

What are my options? if any...

Mame

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2024 02:20 pm
@MadArmyDad,
You need to speak to your lawyer. Everything differs state to state and we are not lawyers here. Plus, the Terms and Conditions prevents advice from being offered due to liability. You need your lawyer to really look at this.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » child support payment increased because of one missed payment?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 03:03:23