Have you ever been sprayed by a skunk?

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2024 08:09 pm
How did it happen? What was it like? How did you deal with the odor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 300 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2024 08:51 pm
@BigNose65,
No, but I've seen a couple of them standing on their front legs - facing away from me. I gave them lots of space.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2024 05:45 am
@BigNose65,
I actually opened a thread about this a while back: The Skunk Whisperer

https://i.imgur.com/MoDrWaR.jpg

(I rinsed repeatedly with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and eventually got rid of the smell.)
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2024 06:17 am
@hightor,
on that thread, I wrote:
our not-so-dumb dog managed to get sprayed in the face while wearing the 'cone of shame' one summer.

it took weeks of washing him (and it) before the smell finally dissipated...

we used tomato juice... lots of it...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2024 08:18 am
When most of my siblings were still small one of them brought a young skunk into the house. It was friendly enough, but we took it out and lost it in the woods before something could set it off. I don't know at what age they are capable of blasting us.
RPhalange

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2024 11:10 am
My brother once hit one on his bike. It was not pretty. He came home inside the house and I could smell it up in my room. Just imagine the uproar as my parents yelled at him to get out of the house.

I don't remember how they washed him of the smell as it was so long ago and I was pretty young. But the outdoor hose was involved.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2024 10:10 pm
@BigNose65,
While walking our dog a cute little skunk came running out from the bushes. I quickly picked up the dog and started running with the skunk following us.
After a while it stopped and went back to the bush it came out of. I, on the other hand, had more of a workout than I had planned.

We do get a whiff of the typical odious skunk smell every now and then around the neighborhood when a coyote crosses their path.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2024 08:46 am
@edgarblythe,
I read somewhere that they can't spray until they're x months old. But if you can grab it and hold its tail down, it won't spray. I did a little research when we inadvertently caught a skunk in our racoon trap.

Did you know that you have to take your caught racoon over 90 mi from where you caught it in order for it not to know how to find its way back? We had a real problem with them in Vancouver - it's the only humane way to get rid of them. Just drive it out to a similar habitat and let it go.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2024 08:58 am
@Mame,
I'm glad you take them out and let them go. I had to get rid of some squirrels and did the same. But somebody told me after the fact that this is no favor to squirrels because they are in a strange setting, likely another squirrel's territory, and that they almost certainly starve to death. If I ever had to trap another one I would research the possibilities for sparing them.
Mame

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2024 12:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
The govt pest control org will come and get racoons if there's a family, if they're in your house, of if they're dangerous; otherwise, their advice is to take it for a drive. Where I lived, we had skunks, racoons, bears, hares, bobcats, rats, voles... you name it. Very hard to garden! And even if you manage to keep them out, you still have to deal with slugs, cutworms, etc.
0 Replies

DarekKrawczyk

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2024 07:09 am
Noo :p
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2024 04:27 pm
Actually, it's more like being squirted on then sprayed. You soon get accustomed to the odor and become one with it. It's the other people who notice the difference.
roger

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2024 04:33 pm
@coluber2001,
I didn't know that. Being squirted, I mean.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2024 04:44 pm
@roger,
That was my experience, at any rate.
roger

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2024 06:55 pm
@coluber2001,
Well, your experience is worth a lot more than my theories.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2024 12:24 pm
I think the intent of the skunk is to hit the eyes of the antagonist with the chemical much like a spitting cobra. Getting it on the skin or fur would do little to deter an aggressor.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2024 12:34 pm
@coluber2001,

sounds about right... in hind sight...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2024 07:10 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

...You soon get accustomed to the odor and become one with it. It's the other people who notice the difference.

I don't know... somehow that just struck me as hilarious... 'become one with it..." and "... other people...." ha ha ha ha ha ha

Thanks for my evening laugh!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Have you ever been sprayed by a skunk?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 06:25:18