Endangered Ocean Wildlife

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 05:19 am
Hey, we don't think it's okay to pollute the oceans, because we are killing the animals and we are taking away their beautiful home. We don't think it's nice to see the world like this, when it's polluted. The animals should not live with plastic in the oceans the way they live now. Do you think it's okay that animals are tortured by your plastic?

RPhalange

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 09:14 am
@englischklasse,
No.

Curious you feel so passionate about this, what are you doing about it besides scolding people you have no idea who they are or even if they are potentially preventing this sort of thing.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 10:31 am
@RPhalange,
RPhalange wrote:

what are you doing about it besides scolding people you have no idea who they are or even if they are potentially preventing this sort of thing.

I translated their username and got "English class." So either it's a language bot or they're using the forum to practice their English and/or do their English homework. Their post kind of is a loaded question.
Quote:
Do you think it's okay that animals are tortured by your plastic?

Only psychopaths and trolls are going to answer yes to that question.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2024 11:02 am
@tsarstepan,
in 2021, englischklasse wrote:
Hi everyone! We are class 3Aa from Therwil, Switzerland.
We are 15-16 yr old students learning English as a foreign language.
At the moment our topic in English class is ocean pollution.
RPhalange

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2024 07:48 am
@Region Philbis,
They must be slow learners if they are still on the same topic from 3 years ago and slow to graduate. They would be 18 - 19 years old now.
jespah

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2024 03:48 pm
@RPhalange,
I dunno. It might be an account owned by the teacher, used by their classes from year to year.
englischklasse

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2024 12:35 am
@jespah,
Yes, you have got it exactly right! Our teacher had us write a text to provoke some sort of response.
We are a new class, also called 3Aa. The other guys from 2021 was a different class.
jespah

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2024 05:26 am
@englischklasse,
Got it.

I definitely don't think it's okay that there's all this plastic in the oceans. One thing you may want to talk to your teacher about is the tone of your question. When you use loaded words like tortured, it pushes the listener to really only respond in one way.

I think most of us don't want our world destroyed and we don't want to see animals suffer. Yet companies still dump toxins into water, and not always by accident. Why is this so? I would present to you that it's likely a money issue, that it's cheaper to just pretend a problem will go away on its own (like next week's math test) versus facing it head on.

PS Lawyers use loaded questions all the time in cross-examination. Hell, we're taught to do so in law school. The idea is to get a witness to answer the way we want them to. But judges will rein in lawyers if they go so far that it looks and feels like coercion.
englischklasse

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2024 06:13 am
@jespah,
Dear «Jespah»
Thank you for your reply. We have talked with our teacher about the tone of our text and question. We chose this tone on purpose, because we wanted to raise some alarm about the dangers of ocean pollution. But of course you are right about the problem of coercion.
May we ask some personal questions? We would like to know your age and your profession, if this is not too indiscreet. And maybe also about the region you live?
Greetings from Switzerland
Class 3Aa
jespah

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2024 06:17 am
@englischklasse,
Oh, I don't mind. Smile

I'm 61 - old enough to be your grandmother, I bet! I work in marketing as a landing page/blog writer (currently in the education industry). I live in the US, in a city called Boston, Massachusetts.

And I've been to Switzerland, but I was (I think) only 6 or 7 years old.

Hoping to see a partial eclipse today!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Endangered Ocean Wildlife
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 01:35:11